Alberta government working on licensing for home builder

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not necessarily going to sink them, but it's giving the bigger builders more of an advantage because the cost per house will be dependent on how many homes you build. Take the new warranty for example, a smaller builder will need to put down $10-20k deposit held for 5 years, in some cases per house depending on qualifications. The big builders didn't change anything, and aren't putting another penny down. Add in yearly membership fee that isn't dependent on how many homes you build, it comes out to a bit of a cost increase for the small guy, nothing for the big ones. I mean if the membership for this is say $3k a year, and you build 1-2 homes a year, that's making a decent difference. If you build 500 homes a year it's not even an expense.

If this was actually going to improve quality in homes and there was equal enforcement for small and big guys, i'd be all for it, but it's not. Every single one of these is aimed at the little builders, and everyone seems to think the big ones are building these quality homes. Most people would be dumbfounded if they knew what was behind their walls in a home built by someone like qualico, etc. Ultimately, it's just another expense and red tape that is not benefiting anyone and the cost will be passed onto the buyer for no benefit. Look up the new warranty guidelines, it is absolutely pathetic what is actually covered.

Wow,unreal, and where does the renovators come into play

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any other trade being certified is what you need to practice in that profession, being a certified carpenter means jack****... not sure why tough.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would say about time!!! too many shady builders out there, cutting way to many corners, demanding trades do it cheaper, inferior materials, etc etc. again you get what you pay for i'm afraid!

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So licensing the big shady builders will help ...
Lmfao
Are you familiar with economies of scale ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in the renovation business have been for over 30 years,are they expecting that I have to become a journeyman carpenter for smaller jobs????!

Last edited:

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm never one for more regulation, and agree this ultimately won't fix what some hope it will. But after doing a new build in the last year- it's easy to see why some might think this a good idea.

It is simply mind blowing, how 'western' the building trades are. There is absolutely NO accountability, on any level. I think if more people didn't allow themselves to be bullied by builders into paying for piss poor workmanship, their wouldn't be a need for these 'regulations', things would just take care of themselves. Builders that fail to deliver would just go out of business.

However, it seems with most things, people want to put their foot down- until it comes time to actually put their foot down. And instead- let the government do what they do- and regulate more.

This should eliminate the need for building inspectors... :rolleyes:. And since it's all being 'inspected' anyway, that should have eliminated the need for ticketed tradesman... :rolleyes:

What a joke. We are to blame for all of this, just like the rest of it.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha I bet only 50% of those builders are certified carpenters. Making for some real challenging repairs, most involving water and stability issues. The only time carpenters are called on is when no one else can solve the problem. Even the dam building inspector does not have to be a carpenter.. good grief.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have a few in red deer area that should not be in business. only looking for cheap, hire mostly from out of province.
2af56851e7835557cdd8e5b37e14e7ca.jpg

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha I bet only 50% of those builders are certified carpenters. Making for some real challenging repairs, most involving water and stability issues. The only time carpenters are called on is when no one else can solve the problem. Even the dam building inspector does not have to be a carpenter.. good grief.

i would be surprised if the majority have ever lifted a hammer!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the good ones usually don't have to advertise, as they are in demand. the others push to the absolute limit on lot lines, construction materials, and labour crews. no journey men or as few ticketed trades as possible. continuous warranty issues, ever wonder why you can never get a hold of them after closure or why there are so many issues?

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the good ones usually don't have to advertise, as they are in demand. the others push to the absolute limit on lot lines, construction materials, and labour crews. no journey men or as few ticketed trades as possible. continuous warranty issues, ever wonder why you can never get a hold of them after closure or why there are so many issues?

The only ticketed trades building most homes is electrician, plumber, and hvac. Sure there are some framers who are carpenters, i'm not slagging on the apprenticeship but it has nothing to do with the quality of work of the framer, it has to do with giving a sh*t about the work you do. Everything you need to learn about proper framing can be learned on the job.

I'm curious what ticketed trades you think would making the building quality better? I can't think of any..... There isn't even an apprenticeship for many of the trades in home building to begin with.

The new warranty process prevents any builder from running away from a warranty claim. The insurance company can hire a contractor themselves and has money in trust for such cases.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm never one for more regulation, and agree this ultimately won't fix what some hope it will. But after doing a new build in the last year- it's easy to see why some might think this a good idea.

It is simply mind blowing, how 'western' the building trades are. There is absolutely NO accountability, on any level. I think if more people didn't allow themselves to be bullied by builders into paying for piss poor workmanship, their wouldn't be a need for these 'regulations', things would just take care of themselves. Builders that fail to deliver would just go out of business.

However, it seems with most things, people want to put their foot down- until it comes time to actually put their foot down. And instead- let the government do what they do- and regulate more.

This should eliminate the need for building inspectors... :rolleyes:. And since it's all being 'inspected' anyway, that should have eliminated the need for ticketed tradesman... :rolleyes:

What a joke. We are to blame for all of this, just like the rest of it.

I don't blame the average buyer at all, it's not their fault. They trust that builders are doing quality work, and most buyers are absolutely clueless. They are more concerned about nice floors, cabinets etc then a structurally sound foundation. But is it that different from a mechanic? You trust them to do their work properly. When a foundation contractor is supplied with steel for a basement and take half of it so everyone, builder included thinks it's in the walls it's pretty dahm sad, and hard to catch them you can't have someone on site every second of everyday. The warranties are also there to protect the builder, not the consumer. It's a joke what is actually covered. The consumer can't do much when the government only brings in regulations to cost them more money and not even protect them.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never thought I'd agree with Cycle, my builder was a master electrician and he was excellent. Mind you I think his hardest job was finding sub-trades that would do the work good enough for him to put his name behind, he did do all the framing etc. himself though.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't blame the average buyer at all, it's not their fault. They trust that builders are doing quality work, and most buyers are absolutely clueless. They are more concerned about nice floors, cabinets etc then a structurally sound foundation. But is it that different from a mechanic? You trust them to do their work properly. When a foundation contractor is supplied with steel for a basement and take half of it so everyone, builder included thinks it's in the walls it's pretty dahm sad, and hard to catch them you can't have someone on site every second of everyday. The warranties are also there to protect the builder, not the consumer. It's a joke what is actually covered. The consumer can't do much when the government only brings in regulations to cost them more money and not even protect them.

I respectfully disagree. Yes, some are clueless- but why?? Your home is a pretty big deal. It's a large investment for some, and it's what protects you from the elements. Even if you don't know how to build it, you should at least pay some attention. Ask questions. Watch. Point things out that don't look right. And for Gods sakes, don't pay until the job is done right.

It is also us to blame, for not holding them accountable. Assholes should be publicly shamed- mechanic, home builder or otherwise. However, you then run the risk of only hearing one side of the story. Perhaps if consumers weren't so cheap- and intentionally ignorant- putting so much effort into the unimportant ****, the circle wouldn't be unbroken.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only ticketed trades building most homes is electrician, plumber, and hvac. Sure there are some framers who are carpenters, i'm not slagging on the apprenticeship but it has nothing to do with the quality of work of the framer, it has to do with giving a sh*t about the work you do. Everything you need to learn about proper framing can be learned on the job.

I'm curious what ticketed trades you think would making the building quality better? I can't think of any..... There isn't even an apprenticeship for many of the trades in home building to begin with.

The new warranty process prevents any builder from running away from a warranty claim. The insurance company can hire a contractor themselves and has money in trust for such cases.
hmm government is looking to license home builders. trades are already licensed. hmm so what is the problem. as to warranty, there is one in red deer that you have a better chance getting a snowball through hell than for them to do warranty work. this same outfit "builder" , would push the foundation from a 5 ft offset to P/L to 4'6. caused all kinds of problems, till city had enough. never heard if foundation was moved or not. same guy likes to put lipstick on a pig as they say.

so yes i see the need for some licensing for builders,

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was it last year government upped building permit from lets say 800 to about 4200 difference is a tax to them not to inspect buildings, now a license for a builder, that friggen bearded dick head should wake up or get off the pot. We are building this year stick or mod not sure yet if stick built i could give a rats ass if builder has tickets coming out the yingyang, quality and accountability for end product. Guys we have in mind have a very good rep and quality looking jobs, good references, most of all is that we can talk at the end of the job.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It took me all of 5 minutes working with a guy to know if he was a journeyman carpenter and all of 2 minutes to know if the building inspector was one as well. So don't tell me you learn on the job. Ya how to get it wrong over and over again, they cannot even get the shingles on right.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm curious how many years you've been in the business?

There are apprenticeships for every trade, concrete, Carpenter, survey, plumber, electrician, gas, tin basher, equipment operator even painter....

There is a big difference in a red seal carpenter vs a learn on the job guy. As always there are exceptions to this. I have a buddy who is an amazing self taught carpenter but his lack of code knowledge and education background holds him back.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the unqualified carpenters I have ever employed happened to be a red seal journeyman.....
Because you have papers don't mean bugger all .
There are exceptions ,but if you think a home is built better because of a license ...boy are you in for a shock !

Last edited:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the worse carpenters I have ever employed was a red seal journeyman.....
Because you have papers don't mean bugger all .
There are exceptions ,but if you think a home is built better because of a license ...boy are you in for a shock !

Agree completely. We just built this summer. I hired a friend who has been a carpenter for 15 years but has no tickets. The guy is unbelievable. Works super hard and very fussy about doing things right.

Regulating everything to death is a very slippery slope that IMHO does more harm than good.

Top Bottom