9 year old on an 800

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lmao!! That statement brought back memories!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha when I was about ten my stepdad said we could ride his formula 3 triple. Spent about half an hour throwing my back out before my brother realized he hadn't connected the tether properly. Lol by that time I was basically too tired to turn the bars once I finally got it started!

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fully agree with the comments about you knowing your kid... I also think it comes down to what kind of riding you plan on doing. You can go to the mountains ride up the trails and take it easy in some meadows with pretty much any sled. If you're going to take your boy along and plan to ride with your regular group on all kinds of mountain terrain, then in my experience ensuring you have enough sled that if you have to ride it up you can makes sense. For this reason I went with an 800 Pro RMK when my son was 9 yrs old but he had been riding since 3 years old and was pretty good at throttle control, etc. Today's 600's have enough power that a kid without appropriate experience, training and supervision (that's you and your buddies) they can seriously hurt anyone if bad decisions are made. They are a little more forgiving than 800 but still need respect. The other key item is safety gear... HIGHLY suggest a tek vest for your kid and a Avy air bag if going to the mountains. Better to fully be prepared than wish later you had. Again, good decisions are still critical. Good luck and have fun! It is expensive, but the best investment ever in spending time with your kids plus much more fun than spending $ on rehab for a teen that wants nothing to do with you...

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid my Daddy said if you can start it you can ride it ........... and these were sleds from the late 60's early 70's

have you ever seen 4 little tike's pull on a rope at the same time :D

love it that was our rule at our house growing up ... somedays I would spend 40 min trying to start the old xcr 600 by that time it was time to come in the house and eat supper !!

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow! A 9 year old on a 125HP sled! My 10 year boy old rode a 550F Skidoo until he was 16. He learned alot about riding and balance on a sled, how to side hill, how to dig out a sled, all the basics. He rode a 600 RMK for one year and then... he went to the mountains after he took the AST 1 course. He is almost 6' and 160# and the machine carries him very easily in 99% of the terrain we ride in the mountains or the flat land.
Whats the hurry?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There isnt much of a difference between a 600 and 800. 600s are very quick little sleds. Id say keep him on the 550 unless he is absolutely killing it on that sled. If he is......then he is ready for an 800 IMHO. I think this was brought up in a different thread somewhere, but there has to be a way to govern an 800. Even if you just toned it down with real doggy clutching.

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No matter what size of sled you get him make sure he wears a tether all the time that is the first thing both my kids do when ever they get on any sled.

aocbiz

Reaction score
This really isn't that hard of a decision......if you have to ask for other people's opinion on this, you already know the answer,
you don't really feel comfortable I would guess. You will never forgive yourself if something goes wrong. If you need a spare rent it. (Just my opinion, but everyone has one!).

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow..... I can't believe that people will buy there kids a $10000 sled......are kids spoiled these days or what. I was lucky to get a $300 pedal bike

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
your parents knew you were a chump right from the get go....

Wow..... I can't believe that people will buy there kids a $10000 sled......are kids spoiled these days or what. I was lucky to get a $300 pedal bike

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My parents told me nothing comes free. Which i then learned some work ethic and bought my own ****. The next generation of kids is screwed..... just my 2 cents

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I'd rather spend $10,000 on a sled for my kid and enjoy countless adventures we will both never forget than worry about who and where he is hanging out with and if he's gonna need rehab. This is cheap in my eyes.

Agreed. When my kid is old enough if he chooses hangin out with his dear old dad sledding rather than running with the hooligans and good rats I will make every effort to make sure he enjoys it!

Can't put a price in quality time with your little ones

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed. When my kid is old enough if he chooses hangin out with his dear old dad sledding rather than running with the hooligans and good rats I will make every effort to make sure he enjoys it!

Can't put a price in quality time with your little ones

Agreed! But I think there is a balance to making your kids appreciate what they get by sharing the cost... then they won't grow up expecting society to pay for their lives.

But as for a 9 year old riding an 800.... are you nuts!! You'll be sorry when he wraps that sled around a tree going 50 miles an hour! Accidents happen.... they are not done on purpose and no one is immuned to that!

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sooner you teach him how to handle a full size sled, the sooner you can stop worrying that he will be out of control. As a parent I don't think you every really stop worrying but my oldest was a natural and started riding with me at 2 years of age. By 10 he was riding a 800 and went everywhere we went. He is a very good rider now at 19 and I rely on him to help me out now where it used to be me digging him out all the time. He was 10 in these pictures and yes I was terrified when he went up over the top of the Window Mountain climb and I could only make it 3/4 of the way up. (Allison Creek in Crowsnest). My youngest son at 17 only now is showing interest in snowmobiling and has a completely different personality and he is only now ready to handle a 800.

My point is that you must decide not only if he is old enough but if he is naturally skilled and if he acts responsible enough. Also you will have to live with the results of your decision so don't take it lightly.

Attachments

• Alison Creek 017.jpg
    Alison Creek 017.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Alison Creek 026.jpg
    Alison Creek 026.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Alison Creek 010.jpg
    Alison Creek 010.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 131

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too struggled with this. I have had my son on a 95 xlt for the last three winters riding in the mountains. I have seen him improve his riding. He's now 13 and he's a tall kid. About 150 lbs. thought about an 800 this year for him. I decided to go with an 600 etech 154. I think 120 hp should be enough for him to improve and then in a few years move up to a 800. I think regardless he's better off going sledding than getting in some trouble elsewhere...

Top Bottom