1st Sled: Summit 1000/ Phazer/ 800 HO / 600HO / ??

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
The ABC,s of snowmobiling Always Buy Cat are not always true. look at bigger Yammy's Nytro or Apex instead of Phazer.

GEEZE, I THOUGHT THE ABC'S OF SNOWMOBILING WAS "ANYTHING BUT CAT"... LOL ......... THE NORMAL ABC'S ARE "ANYONE BUT CALGARY" FLAMES, STAMPEDERS, HITMEN, ETC......LOL

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My vote, although slightly biased is a REV, but i've ridin' both the M7 & M8 which are great sleds right out of the box. I'm sure whatever you choose to buy you'll have fun on it like the rest of us.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
My vote is an 800 in a rev platform. It sounds like you like to be in controll of a little more power than needed with your sport bikes and all. You will not be happy with the phazer as it is under powered. A nytro might be worth looking at if 4 stroke is your thing. I have had a chance to ride the nytro, phazer and the apex. The rev-xp really fits my riding style way better than anything else but I haven't had much time on a cat to say good or bad.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you saying I'm silly for not considering an AC, or are you talking about other's are silly for recommending them because you have to haul them off the hill?

Maybe I should look into the M6,7,8. I guess that's back a few steps, but in the end if it gets me a better sled, then it's worth it. I've been researching and looking for summits for about 2 weeks now.

My last quote was about Slabm7's quote...lol:D

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have owned all different types as i used to buy and sell sleds out of the states when i lived in wpg, which were all short tracks. i have had cat, polaris and doo, no yammies as the suspensions look like they were designed in the 70's. i had good and bad experiences with all. big fan of the f7, zr900, love my fusion 900, and loved every rev i have owned except for the problematic piece of sled i have know(not the sleds fault, previous owner;s fault)
I moved out here two years ago, and thought a 144 looked wierd, never mind 151 and 162 inch tracks.
I talked to a few guys and went with the number one selling long track sled, the summit.(mine is a 144). i would never look at anything smaller then a 800 just because of the weight, and demand you will be putting on it.

My only advice, take someone who know;s alot about them, even that is not a guarentee. I know lots about sleds, and i was rooked on the last one. it was a good deal, until i started taking it apart to clean it. started noticing some butcher work, the saving grace is that the motor is strong.

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a 800 Rev 144", so that is what I would suggest. The 1000 summit power to weight ratio is not enough better to be an advantage. Phazer is underpowered. A buddy has a 08 M8 153" and it seems to work very well for him. I tried riding a little and felt very uncomfortable the whole time. Probably would just take getting used to. Haven't ridden with any Polaris or Yammy to know how well they work. I would not go for the 600 because extra power will get you out of a bind and if you can control your thumb there is no need for it to get you in to any extra trouble.

If you are going to be riding strictly in the mountains, I would probably look at a 151"-153" track as well.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh ya the 1000's at stock are pretty heavy and less nimble,,,,800 is best overall ptw..

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just look at my toy's..i bought the wife the 163-800 and she should be ready by next winter to kick but up there,,plus she only weighs a staggering 95 pd's....lol..can you say light weighted...oppsss forgot the single turbo going on it..:D:D

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are going to be riding strictly in the mountains, I would probably look at a 151"-153" track as well.

Good to hear. I know of a great deal on a 05 - 144, but like I told the seller, I think it would dampen the fun factor out here in the moutains on fresh snow days.

I'm looking at a REV 06 - 151 right now. I'd prefer a 159, but no luck.

I've breifly looked into M's, but haven't got too far. I'll continue the search, but still pretty set on the 06-151 or 159. I'm not exactly sure the 159 was available in 06? Or am I dreaming. They seem pretty rare!

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is why the cranks went..this was the feeder tube to oil the crank...
The cranks were starting up without lube.............

Twin Turdbo... The Oil feeder tube was also and issue as you stated... however, this only compounded some of the problems on the '07 800r's. The big issue was the Tollerence on the bearing assembly on the crank.. heat = expansion!... the tollerence was too fine, the bearings calved.

Just trying to save the dude some headaches if he is sold on a Doo 800, avoid the '07 800r if he can?

Do the some research on the crank problems these sleds were prone to... you'll see what I'm talkin about :eek:

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:DI know the inside guy. He tell's me about these's sled's a year in advance before they even sell them, some time's i even get to try them,Beside's if you get one with these's problem's, they give you a new motor...just double check first with the dealer, If you notice that i skipped the 07"s in my toy collection...cause i didnt know about the new replacement motor..

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:D Besides i was a polaris guy for life.till the rev was built so im not favoring the rev just because i have one,i still love the old rmk 800"s...

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:DI know the inside guy. He tell's me about these's sled's a year in advance before they even sell them, some time's i even get to try them,Beside's if you get one with these's problem's, they give you a new motor...just double check first with the dealer, If you notice that i skipped the 07"s in my toy collection...cause i didnt know about the new replacement motor..

Sooo... the inside guy is a Salesman? They just give you a new motor when you have problems? Wow.. Were do I sign up? What happened to all the rest of the guys who ran into engine problems on these sleds????? Did they just get New Motors? Wow... Should a bought a Doo!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are some of thoses people right here on this site......and no not a lol salesman...lol

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are some of thoses people right here on this site......and no not a lol salesman...lol

Twin Turbo... Just trying to get you going... I'm bored :D However, maybe some guys get the royal treatment from their dealers when it comes to catastrofic engine failure and some get diddly squat! It all depends on the dealer I guess. I just have heard of too many guys being hung out to dry lately when it comes to warrenty issues.

162SKIDOO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SHIBBY....was at Martin farm in edmonton west end today.....they have a 06 159 in nice shape for around 10. I noticed it because they are hard to find and i have a riding buddy that killed one 3 weeks ago......hope it helps.

..Stiffler..

Reaction score
You will not be happy with a Phazer unless you get one with a turbo...there is one for sale in Calgary I believe for 11,000 with turbo on it....

I would look at an 800 or a 1000...I own a 1000 and it is an 05 and I have had no problems....knock on wood...

I used to ride street bikes all the time and do stunts and such....after riding a 1000 I will never ride an 800...although they are still nice, I just love the 1000 power...

heres a pic of me on my bike

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
HEY SHIBBY: GO TO AND THAT IS MR. R'S LTD IN MILO DOWN BY CALGARY, HE HAS A BUNCH OF USED 800'S AND 1000 REV SUMMITS FOR SALE AND ON CONSIGNMENT, STARTING AT AROUND $6500.-- AND UP..... GREAT DEALER, AND IF YOU DOO CALL HIM, TELL HIM RIC FROM EDMONTON SENT YOU.........

Top Bottom