1st Sled: Summit 1000/ Phazer/ 800 HO / 600HO / ??

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
:D Besides i was a polaris guy for life.till the rev was built so im not favoring the rev just because i have one,i still love the old rmk 800"s...

haha...i love the polaris wouldnt ride anything diff. well maby a rev....and my 800 only has a 144 but it still goes where i want it too :D

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha...i love the polaris wouldnt ride anything diff. well maby a rev....and my 800 only has a 144 but it still goes where i want it too :D

its not the sled its the rider lots of guys and new sleds can't gut up there. but the old sleds can my bro's 95 phazer goes every where we do and he has 9,000 km on it

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a deal pending right now on a 07 M1000 with 200 miles on it,Im backing out of it because I would have to sell my Kingcat and the deal wont be there that long.If you want a M1000 pm me.I know this guy and you will not find a better deal anywhere guarenteed!
catmando!

dieselmech_22

Reaction score
Just my two cents here. I bought an 05 summit 1000 it did blow an engine however it was fairly cheap to rebuild as I purchased a top end kit through wiseco.

This was my first mountain sled and I have found that it wasn't too bad to ride the first time it was a bit heavier to throw around so next trip I took out the stabilizer and man what a difference the other thing is that you get a little more tourque than the 800 I found that other than the sled being a little on the heavy side it is great to ride,plus there are lots of guys riding 4 stroke yammies that wiegh as much if not more and get around in the mountains.

as for the engines going, you have to remember your building 170+ hp out of two cylinders and then going to the mountains and riding the ch!t out of it you are gonna have problems once in awhile so having to do a top end once in awhile not that big of a deal I have heard that the bottom end of the 1000 rarely ever fails which that is the expensive part, I am sure there are alot of 800 revs out there that have had to do the top end too!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will not be happy with a Phazer unless you get one with a turbo...there is one for sale in Calgary I believe for 11,000 with turbo on it....

I would look at an 800 or a 1000...I own a 1000 and it is an 05 and I have had no problems....knock on wood...

I used to ride street bikes all the time and do stunts and such....after riding a 1000 I will never ride an 800...although they are still nice, I just love the 1000 power...

heres a pic of me on my bike

why not get up on that tank lil girl lol:D

800 and 1000s sled or bike are 2 very different machines
it is always better to learn on something smaller and lighter
depends on your riding style
you cant tell me stunt n on a 600(bikes are 600s) isnt easier and better than a 1000 unless you just want to do wheelies at 200km/h
its like cars big muscle cars go strait and fast and small imports rip through tight courses
if ya like to play in the trees and such and your still learning the 800 is the way to go,
lighter is a good thing when your dig n
TANK STND.jpg
THATs on the tank

bcboy

Reaction score
all i have to say is try each sled phazers r a little under powered for big guys like my self thats why i'am going to put a turbo on it. my girlfriend rides the other one i have and it pulls wheelies with her on it :eek:. it's fun to ride sounds and looks cool. there not highmark sled . the narrow track 144x14 does not like the 4 ft of pow but it will doze along. to me it was about having a reliable sled not one i'am going to have a jammer trying to pull and yes really men pull a rope i know :p

heres a pic ripping it up not a single person beside the guy on the other yam taking this pic while the other guys change there driveshafts on the doooooo's

http://imageshack.us

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unless your buying a turbo for the phaser you won't be happy.
Could be fun if every one was on them

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya
And if u do want to go with the 4 strokes get a newer Apex or nytro.:rolleyes:

My dad have an 05 RX1 and other then the weight of it the sled will climb as long as u can stay on it.!:rolleyes:
If u are interested in a 4 stroke i have my moms 05 for sale. PM if interested,..

Justin:rolleyes:

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to put my two bits in...each company makes good sleds..you are completely wrong to suggest that Cat is cheaply made plastic...that goes for polaris as well...it may be arguable that cat has less breakable plastic parts than doo...I like them all but dont make your desicion because you think one is made cheaper than the other because you would be worng. Many modded sleds on the mountain are cat for various reasons but they are certainly not a poorly built sled using cheap materials....

M

mattmedic

My :twocents: There was a post a few pages back that had the best advise you could ask for TEST ride as many sleds as you can, to say you sat on a few at the show, and didnt like how they felt, "remember once they have been "broke in" they feel better ,less stiff, ect. one sled may feel nice @ the shop, but beat the sh!* out of you on the trail, others feel rough in the shop, and ride like a cady on the trail, as for cat and poo having cheep plastic, "pass the pipe" it is all the same composite plastic, and breaks when you hit something solid. there are many opinions out there, and I have mine "key word "mine"", Opinions r like azzholes everyone has one, so keep researching , testing, my first sled was a 77' snow jet, and a 76' jag, both fun sleds for that time, since then i've riden many types and years, and could pick eyery sled appart, , you said money wasn't an issue, so renting a few rides wouldn't set you back , the season is just begining, lots of time to get the sled of your choice!!!!!!! good luck in your search

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I second what Dobir and mattmedic said. I love my rev and was never a cat guy until my bro bought an 06 m7 153 last year and that thing changed my idea of Cat. Polaris is the same. The 02-04 RMK 800's were solid machines in my opinion (polaris guys please chime in). I would look for a good priced 700 or 800. remember, you get what you pay for in a lot of cases. You may see two identical machines and one is a few hundred to maybe a grand more check them both out. You may find "some" higher priced sleds are in better shape. Take some one who knows sleds with you when ya go to look at one.

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride an 08 m8 and i love it... rode it stock last yr... all i did was fill it with oil and gas and pull the coord. I will say that it won't outhighmark the 800 rev xps but it is one of the most reliable sleds around.

I have many friends that have the 08 rev 800s they all work well... they had problems with a few things since it was the first yr but if u bought one now u would be able to get the factory updates/warranty work on it and u should be good to go.

If you want to highmark ur buddies stock to stock rev 800 xp is the way to go. both the rev xp and the ac 800 or 7 all boondock really well i do a ton of boondocking through the trees... probably the most fun you can have with ur boots on.

like previously stated above... the ac's are easy to beef up a bit for cheap and still be reliable... in the event u do buy an ac... a quick 1500-2000 and u will be climbing high along with the rest of it.

i would vote ac m8 but if u bough a doo i wouldn't say thats a bad decision either. i had a buddy with an rmk900 just a headache with problems. he sold and bought an ac 1000.

also an ac 1000 is a good buy... same climbing power as the xp 800 and i would say its more reliable... and again even easier to beef up... 1000 bucks on a 1000 and u can outclimb an xp no problem. and its basically the same weight as the 800's.

if i could have done it over i woulda bought an ac 1000 instead of my 8 but at the time i didnt have the coin... now i just turbo'd my 8 so yea... lol.

anyways my suggestion for u from my experience is either the rev 800 xp, ac m1000 or ac m800

nothing less or u will be dissapointed.

good luck. if you need any parts or accesorries for ur ac let me know... i can beat any dealer by 30%. message me. anything from turbo's to snoweliminators.

Auzz

M

mattmedic

I ride an 08 m8 and i love it... rode it stock last yr... all i did was fill it with oil and gas and pull the coord. I will say that it won't outhighmark the 800 rev xps but it is one of the most reliable sleds around.

I have many friends that have the 08 rev 800s they all work well... they had problems with a few things since it was the first yr but if u bought one now u would be able to get the factory updates/warranty work on it and u should be good to go.

If you want to highmark ur buddies stock to stock rev 800 xp is the way to go. both the rev xp and the ac 800 or 7 all boondock really well i do a ton of boondocking through the trees... probably the most fun you can have with ur boots on.

like previously stated above... the ac's are easy to beef up a bit for cheap and still be reliable... in the event u do buy an ac... a quick 1500-2000 and u will be climbing high along with the rest of it.

i would vote ac m8 but if u bough a doo i wouldn't say thats a bad decision either. i had a buddy with an rmk900 just a headache with problems. he sold and bought an ac 1000.

also an ac 1000 is a good buy... same climbing power as the xp 800 and i would say its more reliable... and again even easier to beef up... 1000 bucks on a 1000 and u can outclimb an xp no problem. and its basically the same weight as the 800's.

if i could have done it over i woulda bought an ac 1000 instead of my 8 but at the time i didnt have the coin... now i just turbo'd my 8 so yea... lol.

anyways my suggestion for u from my experience is either the rev 800 xp, ac m1000 or ac m800

nothing less or u will be dissapointed.

good luck. if you need any parts or accesorries for ur ac let me know... i can beat any dealer by 30%. message me. anything from turbo's to snoweliminators.

Auzz
Ahhhhh, pushing the sales, nice!!!!! good to see your genuine salesmen come out, with an unbiased oppinion written when you sell ac parts. "good on ya"

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
parts for all makes and models... ac, doo, yammi, pol.... not just cat.... anything out of the parts canada cataloge... or boondocker

not a salesman just throwing out a good word for u guys... but hey u can go pay full price!

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this Nick Quinn? If it is you know how to rip already( on dirt anyway lol) so go 800, if not I would suggest a smaller sled for the first year. Learn how to ride it.... I've seen to many noobs with an 800 going places they shouldn't, getting scared and digging in.

a 600 or 700 with a 151 will get you everywhere, you won't be the high marker but you will learn to ride the piss out of the sled without getting into to much trouble.

10 years ago a 700 141 was a big sled.....

ballsout

Reaction score
IMO you want an 800 rev. adrenaline... the X's and the XRS's have been ridden hard and put away wet.... look for something more on the stock side. more mods=better/harder rider.

IMO if you have the cash, buck up and buy a new one with warranties. With the sounds of your experience you will do fine on a 800 150ish. you live in the hills so no use buying anything under a 140something.

IF you are dead set on buying a used sled, buy personal, not a dealership. there is a reason a used sled is at a dealership.

IMO, do NOT go under a 800 or you will be trading up next year, if not mid season, unless that is your plan.

And you ain't ready for a four stroke turbo.

I give you credit for being this researched and finding your way here without even buying a sled, kudo's

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AHhhh..

Guess I should rectify this problem... This post was made about a year ago. I have bought and rode a 06 Summit 800 X 151 for a year already...

Good sled. No complaints. It does everything I ask it to do.

I'm a 2-stroke guy, but if I had to buy a new sled I'd maybe consider the Nitro.

Dobir, in respect to my posts about Poo's and Cats. I'll admit, I never rode one at the time, and still haven't. I know you ride one, as well as Colin and others. I know there is nothing wrong with the sled, it just didn't seem to appeal or jive with me. My lanky legs would have been banged off the dash so many times, as well as my helmet would have probably taken off the windshield in no time.

I do realize from looking at the Cats they would be A LOT easier to work on than the doo. The engine is... just there. No messing around. Just take your wrench to it. On mine there is a bit of work getting at things and most times you need a double jointed wrist or hand to get at it.

We're all out there to have fun. Doesn't matter what we ride. (as long as it doesn't break down, otherwise it's just an easy target for criticism)

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well this makes alot more sense...I thought.what is he talking about..lol.."I have raod with him on an 800"? lol

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha..

Yea, somebody dug this post up from some time ago.. Must have came across it in a search.

Finally got a chance to work on the sled this past weekend. It's nearly in tip top shape to go riding! Even gave it a fresh coat of wax!! Decided against polishing. I used to do that for a job in highschool. Too much work without the proper tools.

Can't wait to hit some powder!! We'll have to get out this year some more!

Top Bottom