1st Sled: Summit 1000/ Phazer/ 800 HO / 600HO / ??

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How stupid of an idea of this would it be? I understand the power of the sled and it's weight.

I've had lots of past experience riding powerful equipment and if there is anybody out there to keep a level head, it's me. I've owned two of the most powerful litre supersport bikes (at the time) and currently own an exotic litre v-twin. Never had a problem to date *knock on wood*

So in the mountains, would this equate into death, or provided you understand your riding abilities you should be alright?

In the end what I'm after is a fun, reliable sled. Not too keen on making the highmark which I know this sled is designed to do. Boondocking would be more interest to me but still the ability to hillclimb.

I've heard some problems with the earlier 05 1000's blowing engines, but there doesn't seem to be much else out there for choices. I don't like the fit and finish on Poolaris and Arctic Cats, and the Phazer's don't seem to be so great after all. The Summit 800 (although still extremely powerful) are hard to find 06's, and 05's seem overpriced because of this. 07's are not an option. I don't need a problem sled. Can't seem to find Summit 600's either.

I'm also not the biggest guy at 6'4" and 185 lbs, so it's not that I need a sled to haul me up the hill!

What other options are there? (understanding that looking at the Cat and Poo would drive me crazy).

I have no experience on sleds at ALL! I own a 250 2t dirt bike which is great fun, and I love to ride 250 4t. Would this mean I wouldn't mind a Phazer? Are they good in deep snow with the 144" that we have in Golden and Revy? Are they as capable, with a little less "extreme" power that really isn't needed, or only required to get that next bit higher then your buddies?

I've read about their problems: Overheating, ice'd up boards, failing to start in the cold, and breaking suspension parts. Anything else I'd have to worry about? The breaking parts is a problem, but the other two seem to be fixable. Cold starts could be a problem.

Please help! I've came to you guys because you understand our riding conditions more then the people on other forums because you've rode it!

Quinn

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing about my riding style:

I tend to bog my bikes. I definitely dont use their full capability, but I can hang with the best of them (ok, maybe not THE best), but I can easily handle myself, if not do better then most.

The thing about a 250 4t dirt bike is that you can really ring the thing out, or in other words, actually use the power. Would the 80 HP 550lb Phazer be a similar? Fun, with enough power, but not overkill?

I'd hate to buy it and think it's underpowered the first couple times I go out.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:D Well.. if you want to have fun....and i see your used to fast stuff..I would recomend what everybody else is ridding so your never left behind later on or become baggage,,so id say an 800 sled with around 154 track..my votes on 800's would be rev first pol,second cat 3rd........................
:twocents:

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well... you seem to have narrowed it down to Yamaha or BRP. Having never riden or owned a sled before I think you are selling yourself short by eliminating some other options... Cat and Polaris who both make some great mountain sleds. Cats M6's, M7's and the new M's are a light reliable sled that will make more power than you'll ever need for years to come. They peg the Fun factor if you will... How about the good old RMKS? 600, 700, 800? These were great mountains sleds and some of the best ones out there only 5 or 6 years ago, and now have got another good one with the Dragan 7 or 8.

Ski-doo and Yamaha make fine sleds, but they all have their problems, I've seen all makes on the back end of a rope. Some models/years are plagued with issues at first but always seem to get better each year... until they come out with something totally new... look at the issues with some of the "Brand New" models for '08???

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:)Just for your info.... i was told that the 07 rev's problem was just that the oil line and oil tank were not full and primed....so if you find one... it's no big deal now..:twocents:

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:)Just for your info.... i was told that the 07 rev's problem was just that the oil line and oil tank were not full and primed....so if you find one... it's no big deal now..:twocents:

Ahhh... a little more to it than that. The crank bearings, 800's, were piling up due to tolerence issues... $$$$$. Could be a Real big deal. Crank case problems = $$$$ & time.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahhh... a little more to it than that. The crank bearings, 800's, were piling up due to tolerence issues... $$$$$. Could be a Real big deal. Crank case problems = $$$$ & time.

This is why the cranks went..this was the feeder tube to oil the crank...
The cranks were starting up without lube.............

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
800R's seemed to have the crank issue on early builds (x and xrs), as well as the clutch causing none-stop problems and always having to tune it to get your constant 8200 RPM. Apparrenly they either over-revved or under-revved and it wasn't as simple as a tuning procedure as it should have been. To top it off, the track has been reviewed as terrible.

I've done a few weeks research into BRP's and haven't come to any concrete answer other then a 2006 X is the best to consider if I were going BRP 800.

I don't like how they used all 2008's "test" equipment on the 07's and it turned out terrible.

I'm sure AC and Poo make good sleds, but when you sit on them it feels like it's from the early 90's. The cheap plastic and fit just kills me. If I want something of quality I want it to look like it was put together with some decent materials, or at least designed properly. Maybe this is just me. I was at the sled show and wasn't impressed.

I know most sleds have their issues. It's something that should be, but it is. Sounds like from your recommendations that I could start on a 800 and be happy with it like everybody else. I'll maybe leave the Phazer out then. The Apex (my buddy owns one) is damn heavy and I would probably be struggling to dig that thing out. On top of it, it seems to be reviewed as a hill climbing sled and not boondocking whereas the 800 BRP does everything well.

I guess I'll continue the search for a 800HO. I know of one that's a decent buy so maybe I'll work on that.

Wish me luck!

If anybody else has any info I should consider let me know. I know lots of good info was already given about the RMK's, but I really want a rider forward design. I'm used to standing and riding and the older design just doesn't appeal to me as much even though I'm sure the sleds are a bargain!

Maybe I'm just pigheaded?

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:( Im not trying to put down any sled's.... I have ridden Polaris all my life and also had the pleasure of breaking in prototype AC's for Ecko Cycle..Thanks paul..and also rode my brother's apex supercharger...my point is that for me it's ok to waste money but iv'e been there, where i could'nt afford gas to ride, so i hate to see that same guy like i was spend all he has and be stuck with what he bought ......if i had them all now i'd let all new buyer's try them all out first...it's a big investment for most..:twocents:

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's understandable.

Fortunately for me I have the money, but like most people we don't have enough to just throw it away. I'd like a decent deal. I try to purchase not on buying price, but on resale price. It's not what you own, but what you lose owning it.

Buying a Phazer would surely be a s*** kicking, whereas the 800 HO would be decent in terms of snowmobiles. In either event, snowmobiles are not a good investment at all! Gotta really enjoy it to make it worth the lost money and time required to enjoy the sport it seems.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's understandable.

Fortunately for me I have the money, but like most people we don't have enough to just throw it away. I'd like a decent deal. I try to purchase not on buying price, but on resale price. It's not what you own, but what you lose owning it.

Buying a Phazer would surely be a s*** kicking, whereas the 800 HO would be decent in terms of snowmobiles. In either event, snowmobiles are not a good investment at all! Gotta really enjoy it to make it worth the lost money and time required to enjoy the sport it seems.

That's my point...well most of it.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You keep coming back to the phazer, from what I saw and heard on the many deep pow days is that the 14" wide track just didn't cut it, they were stuck alot as opposed to the flotation of the rev's 16" but me if I could and hopfully will, I would be riding a AC M8, I have never felt so relaxed and comfortable on a sled ...ever

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best thing to do is to rent a sled,come up and watch all the sled,s..for yourself....

slabm7

Reaction score
Unless your going to turbo charge the phazer I would take it out of the running right now, even turboed its still only around 140 HP, The phazer stock is only 80HP, you would get bored with it real quick.

The Summit 800 HO produces around 140-150HP depending on the year, the rev is a great chassis but it all depends on the engine you get, if you get one with crank problems and off warranty it will double its price quick.

I definetly would not rule out the M6/7. The M6 produces around 120HP. The M7 has around 140 and if you throw $1000 at it you can easily see a reliable 150-155 out of an M7. I would go with an M7, not just cause I ride one but they have no history of major problems. I've ridden mine stock since I bought it and have no complaints. Besides having to turn down the oil pump and clean the power valves a couple times its been a pull and go sled.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:confused:Why does it seem like some people are eating paint chip's...lol
I ride with lots of AC's and i cant understand what your saying...lol
buy what ever you want... it's not my money..lol

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
REV hands down!! I love mine. 05's are great sleds as long as they have updated pistons.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:confused:Why does it seem like some people are eating paint chip's...lol
I ride with lots of AC's and i cant understand what your saying...lol
buy what ever you want... it's not my money..lol

Are you saying I'm silly for not considering an AC, or are you talking about other's are silly for recommending them because you have to haul them off the hill?

Maybe I should look into the M6,7,8. I guess that's back a few steps, but in the end if it gets me a better sled, then it's worth it. I've been researching and looking for summits for about 2 weeks now.

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you saying I'm silly for not considering an AC, or are you talking about other's are silly for recommending them because you have to haul them off the hill?

Maybe I should look into the M6,7,8. I guess that's back a few steps, but in the end if it gets me a better sled, then it's worth it. I've been researching and looking for summits for about 2 weeks now.

The ABC,s of snowmobiling Always Buy Cat are not always true. look at bigger Yammy's Nytro or Apex instead of Phazer.

Top Bottom