800 rmk / general sled question

styylesnwife

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to sleding and we went out on the weekend for the 1st time. I have a 800 rmk polaris 2003.
We were going down the road and about 5km in it started to smoke like crazy. I stoped the sled and opened the hood to find antifreeze all over the place. I dont see any loose hoses or clamps. Closed the hood and tryed to start but would not. Today went and put new antifrezze in and started no problem, reved up the engine and didnt see any leaks. Should I be concern or does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do. I am not a mechanic and dont pretend to be...lol. I would hate to take it some where to have them charge me 200 dollars and tell me there is nothing wrong. Talk to a guy on the road that stoped and he didnt see anything. He also said that there was not enough snow on the road and the cooler on the back may have just over heated, would that cause the antifreeze/pressure build up to drain the tank?
Like I said any help would be great.
Thanks

ran9559

Reaction score
There is a couple things to check since you added more coolant. Bleed the system to make sure there is no airlocks. It is easy to do, start the sled at get it warmed up and on top of the head there will be a thermostate cover that has a screw on it. Loosen it and you should have antifreeze coming out, this will remove any air in the system and also verify that your pump belt is working. They do break.

hung-low

Reaction score
as ran 9559 said fill coolant, loosen bolt [ should be 8mm head] in thermostat housing on top of head, pour coolant into bottle till comes out bolt- tighten bolt, start & run sled within a couple of mins feel both heat exchangers on sides of foot boards they should heat up. as long as they BOTH heat up your water pump is working. this sled has a dual stage coolant sensor- the hotter the sled gets the worse it runs until it is back in operating temp. sounds like u may have overheated- 5mph riding, low snow with 2'' track will overheat this sled in about 5 min riding. lifting the front of sled about 12'' helps to bleed coolant.

Top Bottom