800 r or 800 etec

slednecks11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what every one thinks is better the 800r Or 800 etec and if anyone notice the difference because they claim 13 more hp?

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what every one thinks is better the 800r Or 800 etec and if anyone notice the difference because they claim 13 more hp?

i haven't personally rode a etec yet, but i've rode with guys that have both a etec and 800r and they definitely prefer the etec.

and if fuel and oil efficency are a concern than etec hands down.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You already know my opinion. :d:d

The r has more power off the bottom i think, and the etec catches it in the mid to top range.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dunno its a toss up, I like the power of the etec, works well but i also like the simplicity of the old 800r.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mid range, top end and throttle smoothness is better on Etec, but all the BS on fuel and oil consumption they are pretty close. I ride with a guy that has a etec and we are pretty damm close on those two.

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 08, my son has an 09 and I also have an E-Teck. Hands down fuel and oil is less than half on the E-teck. If the E-teck burns 15L'S gas than the 08 and 09 are over 30L'S. Power is smoother and always there on the E-Teck. Also with the narrower stance the E-Teck out handles the other sleds.

But if you want the 800R, my 08 is for sale!

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 08, my son has an 09 and I also have an E-Teck. Hands down fuel and oil is less than half on the E-teck. If the E-teck burns 15L'S gas than the 08 and 09 are over 30L'S. Power is smoother and always there on the E-Teck. Also with the narrower stance the E-Teck out handles the other sleds.

But if you want the 800R, my 08 is for sale!

He already has a 08 800 with a 163

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not so on my 2011 800r and buddies 800 etec, there is marginable difference, so I dont know what to say, we have put on 700 kms together so far and they are so close in oil and fuel, not near half for us as you have stated.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Fuel mileage should be better on the etec. Oil is another story. I don't believe they are better on oil than the ptek like was first claimed. For what its worth, when riding groomed trails like whitecourt, Athabasca and the Ironhorse trail, I can go 200 km's on a tank of gas and use 1/4 of the oil tank. This is with my 2010 renegadeX 800 with the 15" wide by 1.25" lug track. The 15" wide was only available on the 2010. So far this has been a great sled and I'm very surprised by the low fuel and oil consumption. My best top speed was a run of 182 kmh and then went 180 kmh on the return run. I bought it new this year and it now has 2450 km's on it. I looked into getting the same sled with the etec engine but the $3000 increase in price did not justify owning a first year engine. I have used 6 gallons of synthetic oil so far this year to go that 2450 km's.
Bottom line; buy what you want and have fun. We are all going to end up running the etec anyway if you want to keep running a BRP 800.

:beer::beer::beer:

Attachments

• renegade in the pow.jpg
    renegade in the pow.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 287
  • 180 kmh (600 x 448).jpg
    180 kmh (600 x 448).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 299

slednecks11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks ya like under dog said i have a 08 already but thanks good luck on selling it! I love my 08 it pulls hard and runs good even better witha new top end but i have 4300 k on it now and i think i need to trade it off and just wondering if i shiuld go etec or another R! i know every day i would put on 90-110 k and i was always empty gettin back to town And half tank of oil vs buddys( underdog) with the etec burnin half or less than me!

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Thanks ya like under dog said i have a 08 already but thanks good luck on selling it! I love my 08 it pulls hard and runs good even better witha new top end but i have 4300 k on it now and i think i need to trade it off and just wondering if i shiuld go etec or another R! i know every day i would put on 90-110 k and i was always empty gettin back to town And half tank of oil vs buddys( underdog) with the etec burnin half or less than me!

I would wait untill next year now and get the 2012 etec 800. Skidoo will have a better handle on the fuel/oil calibration and it will be more reliable.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Which one do you prefer riding? yours or your dads? Go out and ride the hell out of both of them (preferably when he's not around lol) and see which one you prefer. I know I like the throttle feel of my sled compared to yours and noodleheads.

slednecks11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha he doesnt scare me haha but the throttle is nicer ill give them that i just heard tell if i throw a 3 inch track on mine vs a etec mine will walk All over the etec but not sure if its true

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha he doesnt scare me haha but the throttle is nicer ill give them that i just heard tell if i throw a 3 inch track on mine vs a etec mine will walk All over the etec but not sure if its true

I'll tell him that lol. One thing I have noticed is I dont think my sled has as much track speed as yours while climbing. Need to change the gearing to have more bottom end power.

slednecks11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah i was being out climbed by a 154 2.5 and we weight about the same hahaha :d but thats why im thinkin 3 inch! Have there been many mods come out for the etec like pipes heads ect

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah i was being out climbed by a 154 2.5 and we weight about the same hahaha :d but thats why im thinkin 3 inch! Have there been many mods come out for the etec like pipes heads ect

Just wait till he sees this!! lol.
All us 163" guys on the team have them for a reason! hahahaha:d

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you throw a 2.5 on any ptec it will walk over any factory sled and embarrass them

I only have the 2.86 pitch 2.5 on my 09 and lots of other mods look a my sig. Without adding power adders like a head or pipe to the engine of my 09 my etec has better track speed and climbs better. My etec pulls 3 to 4 more mph track speed than my 09. People who know me and have rode with me knows that both my sleds work well. My etec just seems to work better and it's stock. Awhile back I took both sleds to mcbride and let bbtoys take my etec, In 5 ft of heavy pow my 09 was seeing 45/46 mph track speed, my etec on the same hill with me on it was seeing 49/50 mph track speed and at the end of the day just to compare, the sleds traveled the same distance ( within a couple of miles) and used the same amount of oil and gas.
This was just my experience with the two engines both are great engines.

Top Bottom