The life of a 800 etec?

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I've aged I don't use sleds to rip the hills like I used to, I picked up a new expedition last winter which is a great sled for camp access but I've been looking at getting an older 800 etec as a spare, never had one before. These motors ok or?? Few XM chassis machines on marketplace but they usually have more km's than I want for a lot of money.
I guess my question is how do these older engines hold up?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had 2 now , a 14 and a 16 both made it to 8500 km with original pistons and crank
And still ran great , and that's all mountain km too

Warm up right ect makes a life difference

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had 2 now , a 14 and a 16 bot make it to 8500 km with original pistons and crank
And still ran great , and that's all mountain km too

Warm up right ect makes a life difference

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
wow that's pretty good tex. Thanks for the reply.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
My wife and I have had lots. We are/were not extreme riders but they were all great. No problems and when we would sell them after 2 years of use they would always have beyond 5000 km. I would use a machine for a year and pass it down to her; my use was more extreme than hers but she could hold her own and did some pretty fancy-dancy stuff without knowing how she got to where she was......none of them were really babied but they weren’t abused.
So much better than the 800R’s. If I remember right, Ray Mason (RGM on site and a guide in the coastal mountains) put on close to 20,000 km before doing a top end.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think most xm's have had new motor's by now just buy one with fresh rebuild. My stock 16 allmost made 10 000 km . Turbo 15 not so much

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have had a few over the last few years, likely around 80 - 100 or so, still got 4, Most I have got needing top ends They are easily the best engine of there time. I currently have 2 engines and a T3 800 etec 163 for sale with 90 k ontop end. Put on by me. If interested pm me

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I've aged I don't use sleds to rip the hills like I used to, I picked up a new expedition last winter which is a great sled for camp access but I've been looking at getting an older 800 etec as a spare, never had one before. These motors ok or?? Few XM chassis machines on marketplace but they usually
I’ve never lost an 800 etec engine.

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I've aged I don't use sleds to rip the hills like I used to, I picked up a new expedition last winter which is a great sled for camp access but I've been looking at getting an older 800 etec as a spare, never had one before. These motors ok or?? Few XM chassis machines on marketplace but they usually have more km's than I want for a lot of money.
I guess my question is how do these older engines hold up?
Yup that motor was one of the best ones Skidoo has ever made!

Stevemtb

Reaction score
I had a lemon. 2013 summit. Bone stock. Treated it good enough but she blew up two times. Never got more than 1800 kms out of a top end not even the original. Mechanic never could find the problem. I did not enjoy my 800 etec experience lol
Buddy had exact same sled and treated it like ch!t sold it at 4000k motor never skipped a beat.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve never lost an 800 etec engine.

I towed a few out with blown motors over the years with my rattling 800 Suzuki’s. They still are a good motor though, I’d say third best 2 stroke reliability wise behind 800 Suzuki cats and Yamaha 700 triples

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I towed a few out with blown motors over the years with my rattling 800 Suzuki’s. They still are a good motor though, I’d say third best 2 stroke reliability wise behind 800 Suzuki cats and Yamaha 700 triples

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I gues the Polaris 800 dragon engine is at the bottome of the reliability list?? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom