24 yr old Dies in ATV accident / July 19/08

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
This story Clipped from the CTV Edmonton website, CTV Edmonton | CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

TV Edmonton

160_ott_atv_080711.jpg

ATV accident claims life of St. Albert man

Updated: Mon Jul. 21 2008 17:34:46

Sonia Sunger, Sonia Sunger, ctvedmonton.ca
The province is reviewing safety regulations of ATVs after a 24-year-old St. Albert man was killed in an accident at Floating Stone Provincial Park on Saturday.
The incident happened about 45 kilometres northwest of St. Paul, Alta.
Police say the victim lost control of the ATV on a dirt road and crashed into a wooded area. Speed is believed to be a factor.
Premier Ed Stelmach wishes people would wear proper safety gear when riding ATVs.
"I've never heard anyone ever arguing against wearing a helmet on a snowmobile and yet there seems to be such a difficult time whether on public property or off public property to put on a helmet," said Stelmach.
Alberta Transportation has consulted with several groups about the issue and will report back with their findings this fall. They encourage all ATV riders to get safety training before operating one.
Police have not released the name of the victim.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's sad to hear about another loss of life involving ATV's due to no wearing a helmet and or proper safety gear. I believe that helmets are a lot like seatbelts.....THEY SAVE LIVES. It's also quite dissapointing to see how many parents don't put helmets on their children while out riding or if the children are wearing a helmet the parents aren't. Should something happen and the children survive but a parent or both don't that is a tragic loss for the children that could have been avoided. I guess as long as there is ignorance there will always be accidents....sadly.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to be insensitive but I'm getting sick of hearing about these morons getting killed like this....People need to wise up.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to be insensitive but I'm getting sick of hearing about these morons getting killed like this....People need to wise up.

I hear ya man. 6 deaths in the past 2 months. :( That's crazy. I don't know what the answer is but if people don't smarten up the government are going to come down with some crappy legislation.

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear ya man. 6 deaths in the past 2 months. :( That's crazy. I don't know what the answer is but if people don't smarten up the government are going to come down with some crappy legislation.

I agree, there`s always a few people out there that will ruin it for the rest of us...

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
condolences to the family and friends, regardless of circumstances....

and since this has been sort of hijacked already. if you are sick and tired of hearing about idiots etc doing these things you should join the AOHVA. seems most incidents and deaths involve little to no education or safety gear. and ya maybe it is common sense to you or me but some may need to be told what common sense is. this is where the ahova comes into play with educating new riders/purchasers of these risks. contact the executive and ask them aboiut what they try to do. great bunch of guys and they really do care about the sport and the future of it. they ride too. anyway heres a link.

http://www.aohva.com/

Last edited:

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
condolences to the family
and ALWAYS wear your seatbelt and/or helmet while in a Car, aTV ,UTV , sled, dirtbike all motor vehicles!!

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i hate to be the guy who speaks blasphemy.

but perhaps the ATV's are getting to large and to fast for the safty of the average rider.
and ontop of that not wearing a helmet which doesnt seem to be enforced much. its just a combination for disaster.

these machines just keep getting bigger and faster and i mean where does it end. these are 4x4 utility ATV's after all amiright.

the average rider will eventually crash and hurt/or / kill themselfs if these machines keep on this trend.

i mean some of these bigboars will give a race bike a run for its $ hell give a dirtbike a run for its $ lol..

its one thing to fly off a bike @ 50mph and hurt yourself its another thing for a 1000lb ATV to flip ontop of you @ 50mph .. helmet or no helmet your gona be in trouble.

just my 2cents. i mean look at the new 1000.. thing catwalks all over the place.. 1000lbs with fluids. who knows what other things it will be packing .. so like 1000lbs of machine that can flip itself over easily. bad things will happen eventually.

TrailCrusader

Reaction score
I was at Floating Stone a few weeks ago. There were more ATVs on the roads than vehicles. ATVs are NOT allowed on the roads. There were children no more than 8 years old driving mini quads on the road and almost hit my parked car. More enforement is required. Do not ride on roads or private land. Too bad people get hurt.

Qub3d

Reaction score
i hate to be the guy who speaks blasphemy.

but perhaps the ATV's are getting to large and to fast for the safty of the average rider.
and ontop of that not wearing a helmet which doesnt seem to be enforced much. its just a combination for disaster.

these machines just keep getting bigger and faster and i mean where does it end. these are 4x4 utility ATV's after all amiright.

the average rider will eventually crash and hurt/or / kill themselfs if these machines keep on this trend.

i mean some of these bigboars will give a race bike a run for its $ hell give a dirtbike a run for its $ lol..

its one thing to fly off a bike @ 50mph and hurt yourself its another thing for a 1000lb ATV to flip ontop of you @ 50mph .. helmet or no helmet your gona be in trouble.

just my 2cents. i mean look at the new 1000.. thing catwalks all over the place.. 1000lbs with fluids. who knows what other things it will be packing .. so like 1000lbs of machine that can flip itself over easily. bad things will happen eventually.

I agree... there should be some sort of sliding scale or curve for limitation or restriction based on age and/or experience. Most people want the latest and greatest and that's fine, others need it. When 450cc was the max you could buy the terrain was the same - why would you need anything bigger? Just a thought... :dunno:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I was at Floating Stone a few weeks ago. There were more ATVs on the roads than vehicles. ATVs are NOT allowed on the roads. There were children no more than 8 years old driving mini quads on the road and almost hit my parked car. More enforement is required. Do not ride on roads or private land. Too bad people get hurt.

They are actually allowed on the roads and hiways within reasonable speeds

1. No person shall operate an off highway vehicle on any portion of a highway within the County excepting only as follows namely:
i. The shoulder portion of all highways under the County=s care and control, traveling in the same direction as traffic, in single file and at speeds not to exceed 50 km/h;
ii. On unlicensed, undeveloped road allowances at speeds not to exceed 50 km/h. (All licensed undeveloped road allowances are required to have posted signs indicating the name of the licensee pursuant to Bylaw No. 1315) Permission to access these licensed areas must be granted from the licensee.
iii. Lanes in all hamlets within the County with the following restrictions:
a) lanes be used only for on route and returning from permitted use areas,
b) speeds not to exceed 20 km/h.
iv. Areas specified in Schedule A hereto attached
2. A person who is authorized to operate an off-highway vehicle within the County pursuant to the Off-Highway Vehicle Act or this Bylaw shall:
i. Travel at a maximum speed as conditions warrant not to exceed fifty (50) kilometers per hour;
ii. Travel only in single file;
iii. Travel in the same direction as the vehicles travelling on that side of the roadway;
iv. All passengers on the off-highway vehicle shall come to a complete stop before the operator commences to cross the roadway;
v. The operator of the off-highway vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to all other vehicles and persons on the roadway;
vi. The operator of the off-highway vehicle shall cross over the roadway or portion thereof by the most direct route available;
vii. When it is necessary to cross a sidewalk to enter a roadway, the operator of an off-highway vehicle shall come to a complete stop before crossing the sidewalk;
viii. No person shall operate or be a passenger on an off-highway vehicle where the number of persons on the off-highway vehicle exceeds the number of persons that the off-highway vehicle is designed to carry.
ix. A person operating an off-highway vehicle must ensure that the off-highway vehicle is equipped with one white light in front and at least one red light at the rear and that such lights are alight when the off-highway vehicle is being operated at night time hours or when insufficient light or atmospheric conditions make it necessary.
x. No person shall operate an off-highway vehicle on County owned property other than the routes specified in Schedule AA@ or on any public property within the corporate limits of the County.
Section

Here is the whole bylaw for St Paul county if you would like to read the whole thing

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i tell them if you dont wear a helmet ride with someone else.thats about all you can do..plus if you dont wear a helmet ya kinda look like a rookie or someone that just dosent know any better.:nono:

TrailCrusader

Reaction score
Thanks for the update in bylaws. I was not aware of these. Unfortunately the rules did not prevent a fatality. I am sure the county will be reviewing the rules.

1. No person shall operate an off highway vehicle on any portion of a highway within the County excepting only as follows namely:
i. The shoulder portion of all highways under the County=s care and control, traveling in the same direction as traffic, in single file and at speeds not to exceed 50 km/h;
ii. On unlicensed, undeveloped road allowances at speeds not to exceed 50 km/h. (All licensed undeveloped road allowances are required to have posted signs indicating the name of the licensee pursuant to Bylaw No. 1315) Permission to access these licensed areas must be granted from the licensee.
2. A person who is authorized to operate an off-highway vehicle within the County pursuant to the Off-Highway Vehicle Act or this Bylaw shall:
i. Travel at a maximum speed as conditions warrant not to exceed fifty (50) kilometers per hour;
iii. Travel in the same direction as the vehicles travelling on that side of the roadway;
iv. All passengers on the off-highway vehicle shall come to a complete stop before the operator commences to cross the roadway;
v. The operator of the off-highway vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to all other vehicles and persons on the roadway;
vi. The operator of the off-highway vehicle shall cross over the roadway or portion thereof by the most direct route available;
vii. When it is necessary to cross a sidewalk to enter a roadway, the operator of an off-highway vehicle shall come to a complete stop before crossing the sidewalk;
viii. No person shall operate or be a passenger on an off-highway vehicle where the number of persons on the off-highway vehicle exceeds the number of persons that the off-highway vehicle is designed to carry.
ix. A person operating an off-highway vehicle must ensure that the off-highway vehicle is equipped with one white light in front and at least one red light at the rear and that such lights are alight when the off-highway vehicle is being operated at night time hours or when insufficient light or atmospheric conditions make it necessary.
x. No person shall operate an off-highway vehicle on County owned property other than the routes specified in Schedule AA@ or on any public property within the corporate limits of the County.
Section

Here is the whole bylaw for St Paul county if you would like to read the whole thing

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The one thing that i have always done is like said prior if you dont wear a lid you dont ride with me.. All of my buddies with kids have taught them since they started riding bikes and now into mini quads and sleds that if you dont have a helmet on you can not ride at all.. And if they get caught starting it without it they lose their priviledges.. But you know they have never had to revoke priviledge of any of them because they explained to them right from when they were little why they needed to wear a helmet.. So the kids dont even think twice about it anymore.. I take my hat off to people like that..

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Section

I would imagine that this will differ heavily from district to district, but is very interesting news. Are you aware of any other "county's" that allow travel like this ?

Thanks
c

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The one thing that i have always done is like said prior if you dont wear a lid you dont ride with me.. All of my buddies with kids have taught them since they started riding bikes and now into mini quads and sleds that if you dont have a helmet on you can not ride at all.. And if they get caught starting it without it they lose their priviledges.. But you know they have never had to revoke priviledge of any of them because they explained to them right from when they were little why they needed to wear a helmet.. So the kids dont even think twice about it anymore.. I take my hat off to people like that..

Same here,my kids not only wear full face helmits they have to wear body armour as well or no quading.It all comes down to common sense,this applies to staying within there riding abilities as well as wearing the right gear.Now if adults had to do this there would be a lot less news stories!
And The Gov. needs to change the helmit law!
catmando!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same here,my kids not only wear full face helmits they have to wear body armour as well or no quading.It all comes down to common sense,this applies to staying within there riding abilities as well as wearing the right gear.Now if adults had to do this there would be a lot less news stories!
And The Gov. needs to change the helmit law!
catmando!

Yah i agree with you totally.. But i think that the best place to start is at home with our own kids.. In the next year or two i plan on having kids of my own and they will be raised in the manner that they can do whatever recreation sport they want as long as they wear all of the appropriate safety gear.. I have no issue suppling it for them because they aint goin to ride if they aren't properly peotected.. And they will be taught how to ride properly and that the ymust always respect mother nature cause she is WAY stronger than any human will ever be....

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well all i can say is . when i was young . i flipped a trike. now trikes atleast my 110. weiged verry little compaired to know and that flip i did had me lame for weeks it wasnt permanent but it could have been.

i can only imagine what fliping a Quad with 5x the weight and 20x the Horse power would be like. personally i dont ever want to find that out. my Grizzly is nearly to fast for safety as it is(it probably is if i wana be completely honest). and i look at how the new Renegade has 7% more hp than last year and how the 1000 thunder cat is like a 1000lb atv with fluids but can wheelee all over no problem and i think.

why are we making HEAVY atv's that pretty much handle like Crap compared to sport quads Go as Fast or FASTER than sport quads.

to me this is just a dangerouse trend.

when i was growing up the only fatalitys you read about was how someone hit a fence or something and cut there head off or something. i dont remember things like. he rolled it and hes dead being in the news much back then.

NedHead

Reaction score
Have to stick my two bits in. I don't think anyone would disagree that helmets (at a minimun) should be worn at all times. Neither my son nor my daughter would even consider riding without a helmet. Everytime we go out riding I see more people riding without helmets than with. Not much more but more nonetheless and frankly it stuns me. The cynical part of me thinks that eventually nature will thin the herd of these soon to be brain dead people but then again it seems that we are living in a society where people have to be told (legislated) what to do even when it comes to basic safety practices such as wearing a helmet and driving within your abilities. You just know though that when these people crash, and they will eventually, that the first thing out of their mouths will be "the government didn't tell me I had to wear a helmet so I didn't". The subtext of that of course is that their inaction in taking any safety precautions is somehow the governments fault because they werent told to via a law or legislation. We live in a society guys where it is never an individuals fault, it is always somebody elses.

Rant Over :)

Top Bottom