2011 summit etec issues

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He definately doesnt baby it...lots of steep long pulls where we ride! Lots of WOT pow carving. Not sure how you could ride it any harder. But like any smart doo rider if youve been riding er hard for a bit, just take a break. Pop open ur clutch side panel and let the primary cool down. Will save your belt![/QUOTE]

Thats a smart idea never thought of doing that on the hill. :cool: i usually just put a thousand km on a belt and then put a new one on

Don't you have a vent kit thumper?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From experience, even with venting (which my 08 has TONS of), when you ride hard your primary heats up. Its really the only time i rip through belts is if I go too hard for too long without letting clutches cool down!

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kind of off thread topic....but nope, the dealer did the "recall" fix to it when they were known for blowing belts at the start which was really the engine alignment...sigh...in which they geared it down. Last year I put it up to the 21, and this year i recently put in the 22 and it seems to be rippin good!:d

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, but if the alignment is good, and clutch temps are still high due to poor clutching and excessive slippage of the sheaves. With proper clutching gearing down will help reduce clutch temps.

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty basic concept what im saying though....friction = heat...Primary clutch spinning at 8250rpm against a rubber/kevlar/whateverbeltsaremadeof.....Your metal clutch is GONNA heat up! Just my tip to doo owners, give her a break with that side panel open and you will get at LEAST another 1/4 on your belt life.
Braaap!:d:beer::d

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.highcountrytrailrides.ca.
You XP & etec owners need to get one thing strait when it comes to blowing belts. If your alignment is correct, and your primary and secondary aren't fighting each other, your belt will last a few thousand km. Most dealers in my opinion don't know how to properly set a clutch up. Clutching can get pretty complicated as to setup, rollers, ramps, excess wear, bushing wear, weights, secondary adjustments, belt deflection, etc. Most people don't realize that after 800 km. your probably due for minor clutch parts, bushings rollers, etc.
Both friends I ride with do intensive clutching on there XP's, one has 4000 km. and the other 5000km. on the same belt. They ride their machines really hard, every time and believe it or not, after a hard ride, or long pull, you can put your bare hand on the primary.
Rode a buddy's E-tec after it was properly clutched the other day and wow, did that ever make a difference. Those e-tec's definitely have potential.

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You XP & etec owners need to get one thing strait when it comes to blowing belts. If your alignment is correct, and your primary and secondary aren't fighting each other, your belt will last a few thousand km. Most dealers in my opinion don't know how to properly set a clutch up. Clutching can get pretty complicated as to setup, rollers, ramps, excess wear, bushing wear, weights, secondary adjustments, belt deflection, etc. Most people don't realize that after 800 km. your probably due for minor clutch parts, bushings rollers, etc.
Both friends I ride with do intensive clutching on there XP's, one has 4000 km. and the other 5000km. on the same belt. They ride their machines really hard, every time and believe it or not, after a hard ride, or long pull, you can put your bare hand on the primary.
Rode a buddy's E-tec after it was properly clutched the other day and wow, did that ever make a difference. Those e-tec's definitely have potential.

I could'nt agree more. The tra is a great clutch as far as the adjustability goes, however it is an enclosed design that traps heat and belt dust. I ride with alot of revs and xps and very few of us have belt issues and most of us ride really hard. A guy has to keep on top of maintenance when it comes to the tra. A person should pull it apart every 200k and make sure you have no sticky arms or rollers and blow the clutch out with air. It is also good to check your sliding half bushing and spring cup bushing. Another thing most of us do is put new springs in both clutches every year. They have a tendancy to get sacked out and then your sled struggles to pull weight on the proper clicker. I don't believe gearing down is the absolute answer, however it helps a lot. I have a buddy that blew a belt every couple hundred miles, so I geared him down and clutched accordingly and he had around 300 on his last belt and it looks brand new. Belt temps are way lower as well. I don't believe venting is a end all be all solution as well. If you need it to keep your clutches at a reasonable temp, it is a band aid for another problem. A tra will create a fair amount of heat but if you can't bag on it for a while and stop and put your hand on the clutches without burning yourself something is not right.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Am I wrong when I say that belt issues are a xp problem? I thought this thread was supposed to be for etec related issues. The feed back is great and appreciated, I was just wondering if this thread was getting a little of track.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess what i ment was the, etec technology, the blowing belt issue (alignment and poor clutching) has been around since 08, since the XP chassis was introduced.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont think it has anything to do with the etec technology personally. there just always seems to be the odd xp that takes out lots of belts ever since 08. simple fix but its unfortunate it cant be done from the factory.

pistonpete

Reaction score
Hard to check chaincase oil level, not like there is a sight glass like on a dirtbike......my 2010 came with none in it....:eek::eek::eek:
My tech made a little thing-a mo-bobber to check it last season after my issue.
If you guys ride below 4000 ft there is a brp update to change the clutch spring to get ride of the nasty bog that almost throws you over the bars....

Hey Lucas waz up?? Hey please tell me more about this update, mine is BAD,Bogs like a mother, is this good for me ?? Got 1500 miles on her and getting worse..:confused::confused:

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great Thread guys. Between the issues I read here and the DOO factory/dealer issues you described I know I am doing the right thing in staying away from the DOO. Polaris got it all right this year finally and the reports I am getting from Forums and dealers (warrenty work) confirms they have a winner in all respects. Very few warrenty issues. Best drive train in the buisness, rock solid, light weight (didn't need to add weight like Doo had to when the XP came out) Handling second to none. Performance second to none. If your honest and know anything about sleds you cannot deny these statements. All brands perform great in my opinion these days but reliability is important. I believe Poo got it right (finally) and it seems Doo is questionable. Cat seems to have reliability and performance worked out well also. The narrowness of the Rush front end is a serious 1 up on all the others in my opinion.
Note this is not intended to bash...The more info a person has to making a purchase choice the better the choice can be. I need to hear the problems with the brand to make the best choice for me.

pipeliner72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great Thread guys. Between the issues I read here and the DOO factory/dealer issues you described I know I am doing the right thing in staying away from the DOO. Polaris got it all right this year finally and the reports I am getting from Forums and dealers (warrenty work) confirms they have a winner in all respects. Very few warrenty issues. Best drive train in the buisness, rock solid, light weight (didn't need to add weight like Doo had to when the XP came out) Handling second to none. Performance second to none. If your honest and know anything about sleds you cannot deny these statements. All brands perform great in my opinion these days but reliability is important. I believe Poo got it right (finally) and it seems Doo is questionable. Cat seems to have reliability and performance worked out well also. The narrowness of the Rush front end is a serious 1 up on all the others in my opinion.
Note this is not intended to bash...The more info a person has to making a purchase choice the better the choice can be. I need to hear the problems with the brand to make the best choice for me.

:confused::confused::confused: :eek::eek::eek:

Top Bottom