2011 summit etec issues

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A thread about etec issues and its 8 pages long! Why am i not shocked? Had 4 new doo's and can relate to all of these problems. Thats why I am going to take a gamble with the new proclimb cat. Can't be any worse....I personally am through with doo-doo.....for now

Have fun with them cats. I'm not gonna stop you.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

mountainhunter

Reaction score
best sled i have owned and rode .no reflash .very good on fuel and oil. compare to 09or 10 same track length not close. brp must of installed a tree magnet in although ,left about a grand worth of plastic, headlight pod etc. wrapped around a tree in the pyramid chute in the wolverine. went right down a tree well....sheeeit

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A thread about etec issues and its 8 pages long! Why am i not shocked? Had 4 new doo's and can relate to all of these problems. Thats why I am going to take a gamble with the new proclimb cat. Can't be any worse....I personally am through with doo-doo.....for now

I can hardly wait for the 35 page thread this guy starts next year entitled:
2012 Arctic Cat Proclimb Issues? ........;)

bad santa

Reaction score
1300 km on mine. Still on the original belt and it is still in good shape. No issues whatsoever. Best sled I have ever owned. Towed 2 M8's out this year with it so good luck to everyone that is switching to Cat!

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have both the etec and ptec, the etec has a few issues, we found a real lean spot around the 7000rpm, a/f is around the 15 (other rpms its around 12.6)and that is the only spot, this could be why the etec feels like it has no tq, compared to a bb, hp should be not far off, but feels like it has no tq in comparsion, we found almost 8mph difference in track speed running all the same parts, that is alot

we also found the etec to not get on the snow as well, there is two things, first due to etecs lean spot there is probally a drop in tq as well and thus you need more throttle to overcome giving the etec a trenching condition, then there is the shorter ski stance, doo used the same shocks in 08 to 11, but by narrowing ski stance and using the same shock travel, this raises front end almost 2 inches, buy doing this it changes the rear skid geometry around and creates more weight transfer to rear shock, thus changing attack angle and cauing trenching, doo probbally had a pile of shocks in invitory, and overlooked issue

i do not like the narrow stance on the etec, and find it very tippy, i since then widened the stance as wide as i coud go and its better, but still prefer the 08 stance over it

as for the lean spot on the etec, i bet you will see more etecs going down as we see more 2000mile sleds showing up, doo has to change the fuel curve to correct that

also been told by the race department that running the turbos at a safe pump gas boost with secondary fuel system cooling piston down from both ends will give this motor better life than stock, i now see this happening forsure with the lean spot

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:) Drugs :)Very few oil line/cap issues. Not even worth mentioning. 2012 Pros are same weight and design as 2011's. I have not heard of any strength issues at all. The Pro has been proven to be as good or better than the summits and cats in deep snow. I have seen enough video comparisons to confidently say this. No secret here. Pretty good for a sled with less HP. Clutches are tops in the buisness for performance and reliability. When I hear the issues the Doo guys have with clutching..I'm stayin clear. Again I am not bashing the Doo but I sure don't want the problems that I here some are having. I would not buy a new Poo until they got it right either. Took them long enough. Please correct me If you have facts (not opinions) to back up your comments. :)

Better in deep snow?........... tell that to the guy that tagged along with me, an 11 etec and another m800ho cat in chappel on a 3' fresh day. He was pretty dissapointed in his lack of power to say the least. Stuck all day one after another, and was having trouble climbing some of the stuff we were all having a breeze climbing. Sled seems to handle nice but without a strong 800 motor its definitely the back of the pack in my mind:d

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
8 pages of really nothing.. the only issues with the etec, is some hot clutches, and that hesitation which went away after break in. pretty solid machine thus far, as im sure many of us put them through their paces with the gobs of powder this yr. even my dealer had nothing come back, other then a few updated flashes.

A hesitation that went away with breakin?, Gimmie a break!! 450 miles on mine and i still have a hesitaion at 5000rpm!! and the sled was broke in 200 mile ago. Spent 2 hours with my dealer last night making a vid so we can send it to BRP because BRP KNOWS there is a problem with the ETEC but havn't figured out how to fix it yet.
I noticed this problem right out of the box and it didn't go away, I kept my sled box stock right past the breakin period and hesitation was still there, tried a can and different clutching and no real difference.
People have told me that if the clickers are too high it will hesitate because of the rev limiter, ah NOOO!! i've tried to hit the rev limiter and my sled just won't go past 8300!! just holds there It hesitastes on clicker 1 as well. Got the new flash and no difference. Sled works great but still has that hesitation.
I think there is a problem with the mapping myself and have to rely on BRP to fix it, dealer thinks its mapping as well, at least I still have my old faithful 800r in the garage it never gave me any greif.
If everyone thinks that i'm the only one having this issue well your wrong, there are lots of complaints with this issue logged with BRP.
I expected problems during the first year but didn't expect not having a fix before the 2012's were released.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's too bad. Haven't experienced any hesitation on the etecs I've been on besides one without the reflash.

And fred. The etec runs lean by design. Look at the y pipe and the plugs. Damn near white

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A hesitation that went away with breakin?, Gimmie a break!! 450 miles on mine and i still have a hesitaion at 5000rpm!! and the sled was broke in 200 mile ago. Spent 2 hours with my dealer last night making a vid so we can send it to BRP because BRP KNOWS there is a problem with the ETEC but havn't figured out how to fix it yet.
I noticed this problem right out of the box and it didn't go away, I kept my sled box stock right past the breakin period and hesitation was still there, tried a can and different clutching and no real difference.
People have told me that if the clickers are too high it will hesitate because of the rev limiter, ah NOOO!! i've tried to hit the rev limiter and my sled just won't go past 8300!! just holds there It hesitastes on clicker 1 as well. Got the new flash and no difference. Sled works great but still has that hesitation.
I think there is a problem with the mapping myself and have to rely on BRP to fix it, dealer thinks its mapping as well, at least I still have my old faithful 800r in the garage it never gave me any greif.
If everyone thinks that i'm the only one having this issue well your wrong, there are lots of complaints with this issue logged with BRP.
I expected problems during the first year but didn't expect not having a fix before the 2012's were released.
I have the hesitation post break in as well. Just waiting on the fix. :)

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the only time i fell a hesitation is on the trail up to the mountain from the parking lot. as soon as im at elevation, she runs like a raped ape!! only 500km, so doubtful its broken in yet, and no reflash done. and this only happend on 1 or 2 rides.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the only time i fell a hesitation is on the trail up to the mountain from the parking lot. as soon as im at elevation, she runs like a raped ape!! only 500km, so doubtful its broken in yet, and no reflash done.

Mine was broke in at that KM but mine was ALL mtn riding.
So you may have the hesitation problem as well, I hope your's is break in related. Id take it to the dealer and check the status of the breakin.
Mine does it on the trail and alittle bit up at elevation, mine used to be really bad at elevation until I added more pin weight, plus the reflash didn't help the hesitation, and I didn't loose any power with it as well.
Last weekend in allen creek my ran perfect all day until the end of the day than started hesitating a little. The only thing that changed was the level in the fuel tank. I wonder if the fuel going through the ecm gets a bit warmer as the fuel level get lower get lower in the tank??
This annoys me because I can fix my 800r myself but at the mercy of the dealer and BRP with my e-tec.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's too bad. Haven't experienced any hesitation on the etecs I've been on besides one without the reflash.

And fred. The etec runs lean by design. Look at the y pipe and the plugs. Damn near white

Plugs were changed on mine, hoping it may be a plug issue, and yes the y-pipe is white on mine as well, scared the heck out of me on my first ride with it. i compared mine to a 2010, dunno if doo changed the paint but the 2010 was the same, but my 09 compared to the etec was no where near that white.:eek:

svdstar

Reaction score
I put on 800 miles so far this year. I only have the hestiation when hitting the rev limiter (about 8200 +). I added more pin weight right after break in and it helped to keep the revs down. I never had the reflash done because I've never had any issues. I just installed a DJ kit about a month ago, had to add more weight again because of the hesitation. Problem solved! This machine rocks and NEVER misses a beat!

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never kid when I know Maxwell has got my back. ;):beer:

Find a thread on the M8 that is 9 pages long......good luck.
Not saying they don't all have issues because we know they ALL break.
Just saying Doo's track record with me has been steadily declining! Don't know much about the Cat or Polaris but willing to give them a try. Aound My area I have not heard of a 10'-11' Cat burning down....not one. But have witnessed a TON of etech and ptech motors bite the dust.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id like to know what a TON means to you. as far as i know there havee only been something like 4 failures on the etec accross canada. same with the prormk.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2300 KM'S on mine and still no hesitation or any issues that sucks you are having problems these sleds really do rip and work when they are going properly

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id like to know what a TON means to you. as far as i know there havee only been something like 4 failures on the etec accross canada. same with the prormk.

4 across all of Canada? I know 6 at my local dealer alone including mine. Thats 1 dealer. Have 4 dealers within 100 miles of my house. Take the Doo blinders off bud. Not saying they are crappy sleds....but they aren't trouble free either.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
4 across all of Canada? I know 6 at my local dealer alone including mine. Thats 1 dealer. Have 4 dealers within 100 miles of my house. Take the Doo blinders off bud. Not saying they are crappy sleds....but they aren't trouble free either.

Which is your local dealer?

Top Bottom