2011-2012 diesel trucks

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 6.4L power stroke and that thing never let me down once. I sold it with 180,000km with it seeing a shop once for an exhaust leak at the turbo. Only reason I sold it was for a new gas truck.

Fuel mileage was as good as any other diesel after the deletes. Guys say fords get terrible mileage compared to a GM or dodge but the 6.4 only has a 90L tank.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 11' and 12' Fords were 6.7's, not 6.4's. The 6.4's made good power especially with mods, but they are notoriously unreliable motors.

But... The first year 6.7's (2011) were dropping valves due to the high heat produced during the regen cycle. They supposedly got hardened valves after 2011 and it doesn't seem to be much of an issue after that.

I'd take the Ford over the Dodge anyway. Way more power and solid trans. I just sold my 2010 due to struggling with the death wobble twice over 2 years and 65,000kms. There is no absolute fix for the Dodge front ends. You'd be a rich man if you could guarantee a fix for them. My truck was fully deleted and had the H&S motor and trans tune and would still have trouble keeping up with a stock Ford. Not to mention the trans shifted like a rubber band.

The new 2014 Dodge HD's finally went from the old 5 link to the new 3 link front end. Hopefully that solves the issue so they quit killing people.

To sum it up, the 2011/12 Cummins is absolutely bulletproof, the trans is OK if you're not chipped and abusing it. The front end sucks, the interior is a beauty.

The Ford makes a lot more power, the trans is more stout, more interior room, quieter cabin and a much more refined truck overall but a less reliable engine. I'd pick the Ford.

Last edited:

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I talked to a surveyor yesterday and all the company drives is fords and they hate them. She said her 10 f350 was the best one then she got a 12 and it's had a ton of problems. I guess it will be dodge, maybe a GM. I am not brand loyal by any means I just don't think the interior of a GM even come close to the ford and dodge. They are small and cheap IMO.

I have the opposite results my 2010 f350 was a big piece of junk while my 2012 has been great. Both all stock.

c_nelson99

Reaction score
I'd rather throw a set of $250 ball joints in a dodge every 80,000km than roll the dice on a $3-5000 injector or turbo job on a ford. That gm might be nice to drive but when the turbo has issues its a 10-11hr job to swap it. Hands down the dodge is the cheapest used truck to own off warranty.

Of 4 trucks heading to valemount a couple yrs ago my dodge and my made it there in a snow storm issue free, 2 of the 3 gms all got thrown into limp mode from ingesting snow and plugging up the intake. This is an issue I see often in the trucks run up here in the patch. Nice thing about the newer fords and dodges is a guy can run bigger tires stock height when that gm needs a 6" lift just to get 33's on it.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd rather throw a set of $250 ball joints in a dodge every 80,000km than roll the dice on a $3-5000 injector or turbo job on a ford. That gm might be nice to drive but when the turbo has issues its a 10-11hr job to swap it. Hands down the dodge is the cheapest used truck to own off warranty.

Of 4 trucks heading to valemount a couple yrs ago my dodge and my made it there in a snow storm issue free, 2 of the 3 gms all got thrown into limp mode from ingesting snow and plugging up the intake. This is an issue I see often in the trucks run up here in the patch. Nice thing about the newer fords and dodges is a guy can run bigger tires stock height when that gm needs a 6" lift just to get 33's on it.
The dodges are prone to plug air filters too

Biggest thing is ur dodge will suck it in cause it won't limp it self

Where the others will limp, save it self and say hey , dry filter please

butters

Reaction score
I have a 2011 dodge 3500 with bds 6 inch lift on 35's. DPF delete and H&S programmer. 167000 km, I have replaced the rear window regulator. No death wobble, no front end work done at all no brake work. Not saying there is no wear in the front end but no odd tire wear, drives straight as an arrow. Pretty much all highway km on 881 to fort Mac every 6 days. So no real abuse. Holding up better than I figured it would. Not the most comfortable vehicle but no complaints here.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've owned four Dodges with the Cummins. '99, '03, '07, and currently, an '11. I may just be lucky, but I've never experienced the "death wobble" that others speak of. My '07 was run in the bush for close to 200,000 km.. I did ball joints on it at 105,000 km as well as a couple tie rod ends. Overall, I've had great luck with my Rams, with no major breakdowns. I do like the 6.7 PS, but much prefer my '11 Ram's interior. All of the big 3 diesels are great trucks. Just pick your favourite flavour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ball joints or not, it's still a wobbling rattling dodge. Funny those guys that never tow, but drive around with their mirrors flipped up... Always seems to be a guy driving a jacked up cummins.

i do like dodges tow rating, 30k lbs, can't wait for gm to catch up on that one.

Hey now. I was one of those guys with a jacked Dodge and mirrors flipped up! Lol, honestly the view of the road behind and beside the truck was outstanding with the mirrors up and I think it compliments the lift. :beer:

Flame on.

Last edited:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Front end is easy to fix yourself. Pulling cabs to do injectors not a driveway job.
2 dodge MCs 08 and now a 12 both lifted both deleted and chipped but never abused. Spend couple grand on Carli or Thuren stuff and never look back.

My 08 was a little more as I had to do the 8.5 update. But it's amazing how Carli BJ make it ride better. As for dodges killing people it was a tie rod end issue that has been solved. I drove a year with this so called death joint! As long as ur not jumping ditches you'll be fine. Millions of trucks out there with them still on.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Front end is easy to fix yourself. Pulling cabs to do injectors not a driveway job.
2 dodge MCs 08 and now a 12 both lifted both deleted and chipped but never abused. Spend couple grand on Carli or Thuren stuff and never look back.

My 08 was a little more as I had to do the 8.5 update. But it's amazing how Carli BJ make it ride better. As for dodges killing people it was a tie rod end issue that has been solved. I drove a year with this so called death joint! As long as ur not jumping ditches you'll be fine. Millions of trucks out there with them still on.

If only it was that easy to guarantee a fix for the Dodges. I'm sure the Chrysler engineers would've made some important changes or beefed up some parts if they knew the answer. They've been dealing with these issues for 10 years. Even my 10' Cummins had a recall to bring it into the dealer for the tie rods. All they did was measure them and if they were still in spec, I was sent out the door. They won't replace them. Next thing you know a week later, one would snap off in a parking lot doing a slow speed maneuver. Shotty engineering and cheap parts. Just wish Dodge would've stepped up to the plate all those years they've been running this set up. And it's not just lifted or modded trucks having these issues, tons of stockers as well.

Personally, I'd rather spend money on a cab off repair if required than risk another death wobble with two sleds on the deck and friends/family in the cab.

And of course there are a ton of guys who run them without issue. Guess it's the same with sleds. You run what you're comfortable with and have good luck with.

Ram Pickup Tie Rod Recall

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
My 2011 has never had the death wobble, but my '06 did..... Fixed the problem on that, and no problems from then on......... 2011 just had a tie-rod recall, and they installed the full tie-rod/drag link ass'y, under the recall........ Noticed no difference. Very rare to have a tie rod pop, on one of these, but we have had 1 or 2 over the last 8 years or so

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2011 has never had the death wobble, but my '06 did..... Fixed the problem on that, and no problems from then on......... 2011 just had a tie-rod recall, and they installed the full tie-rod/drag link ass'y, under the recall........ Noticed no difference. Very rare to have a tie rod pop, on one of these, but we have had 1 or 2 over the last 8 years or so

I just got my recall done, didn't notice a difference ether. 1 or 2 compared to how many 100's...1000's of dodges been threw ur shop?

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Acclerated wear and tear is going to be a nature of the beast with the cast iron block.

I would like to say maybe I just had one of the bad ones but it seems to be a much more common occurence on the Dodges. Was just a risk I couldn't continue to take. And I'd rather throw money into a new truck with more warranty than worry about putting thousands of dollars into a truck with such low mileage with a safety problem. A positive for the Dodges used to be that they were usually around $10,000 cheaper than the equivalent option GM or Ford but their prices are right up there now.

Maybe being an active member on a diesel website doesn't help as all you hear about are the bad ones? Either way, I'm giving Ford a chance. Besides the 11's, their track record is decent.

But who knows, I also used to like Polaris until they screwed their customers on the Dragon fiasco and all the lost motors since. Maybe one day I'll come back. :rolleyes:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Acclerated wear and tear is going to be a nature of the beast with the cast iron block.

I would like to say maybe I just had one of the bad ones but it seems to be a much more common occurence on the Dodges. Was just a risk I couldn't continue to take. And I'd rather throw money into a new truck with more warranty than worry about putting thousands of dollars into a truck with such low mileage with a safety problem. A positive for the Dodges used to be that they were usually around $10,000 cheaper than the equivalent option GM or Ford but their prices are right up there now.

Maybe being an active member on a diesel website doesn't help as all you hear about are the bad ones? Either way, I'm giving Ford a chance. Besides the 11's, their track record is decent.

But who knows, I also used to like Polaris until they screwed their customers on the Dragon fiasco and all the lost motors since. Maybe one day I'll come back. :rolleyes:

Trust me no one hates spending cash on dodge front ends more than me!!! I've done it twice now! Who's the idiot? If not for the mega cab I'd prob be in a Chev but I'm well versed in Dodge repair now and have every tool there is to fix the frt end. I just did Carli ball joints..made it to 97000 KMS this time on factory$900, upper lower Carli stabilizers with diff guard $1000, Thuren sway bar $500
Steering box brace $200,Carli adjustable track bar $450. Carli control arms which are more for the lift than a frt end problem solver $900. And I bet soon I'll need a steering box too. But all said and done I love my MC and can't give it up. She floats like a caddy now. Buddy at work bought a 2015 ford... He was sad how mine rode way better, but I've got &2500 shocks I didn't tell him about ether! I know people worry about the tre but I look at how many dodge one ton diesels are being pounded in the dessert in Phoenix and California with these very same joints...I'm probably gunna be ok

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x1-VuqlQH8g

Last edited:

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's awesome you've got her dialed in.

I wouldn't say you're an idiot though! Guaranteed I have far more money into a new truck than you have into front end parts! :beer:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's awesome you've got her dialed in.

I wouldn't say you're an idiot though! Guaranteed I have far more money into a new truck than you have into front end parts! :beer:

That was my reasoning! Bought the truck used year old. so first guy took the biggest loss, I knew I was gunna change it all.. Just when was the ? But chipping and wrenching is not for everyone ether. I enjoy it...to a degree and like I said I'm well versed by trial and error when it comes to dodges at least in my own head. I've said it before great motor ... Hate the wrapper! But they are getting better and lots of great replacement parts out there. That's why I stuck with a 12 vs a new 13 at the time. The new Asian tranny is way better than mine.. From what I hear.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok now I'm really at odds as to what truck to buy. My buddy has a 2010 chev LTZ duramax with 160,000 and I'm sure I could get a decent deal on it. My 2010 gmc 6.0L was a good truck other than I didn't like the interior as I have said before. What are common problems with those motors and trans?

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to say it earlier because you didn't mention a Chevy. But if I was looking at a 10-12' diesel, I'd jump on the Duramax. The power train is bomb proof. But like you said, I'm not a big fan of the interiors. But at least it's an LTZ.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to say it earlier because you didn't mention a Chevy. But if I was looking at a 10-12' diesel, I'd jump on the Duramax. The power train is bomb proof. But like you said, I'm not a big fan of the interiors. But at least it's an LTZ.

LTZs are generously equipped with AM, FM, and CD player!

Top Bottom