2011-2012 diesel trucks

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a used diesel 2500 or 3500 and it's a toss up between a ford and dodge. Can anyone tell me common problems with these trucks. I don't want a pissing match just facts and experiences please. Thanks.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the years you're looking at. I have a 2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins and am very happy with it. It gets reasonable mileage and has more than enough power for what I tow. As for Fords, I wouldn't buy a 6.4 PS because they are terrible on fuel, but I wouldn't hesitate to but a new 6.7 PS. Very quiet, powerful diesel that gets better economy than my '11 Cummins. I also like the new Duramax, just not a fan of GM interiors. If you're choosing between later model GM's, Fords, Dodges, you really can't go wrong with any of them. What's your favourite flavour ? Chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry ? All are good, pick what fits you best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When the 6.4 came out, I believe the service manual calls for removing the cab for a fair number of repairs under the hood. Dodges are known to be mechanic friendly. It would be a factor for me.

'12 T4
Husaberg 570FE

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had GM's my whole life and I am not a fan of the interiors compared to the fords and dodges. The new style is really nice but like I said I'm looking at 2011-2012 trucks.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not biased, but i can say that the 6.4 Power stroke is a piece of ****..

All buddies with f-350's
friend #1 blew up and down pipes, cab off repair. Diff is smoked, so is the tranny (he does drive it hard)
friend #2 180,000 KM, 8 new injectors and Hi pressure fuel pump 5g
friend #3 110,000 KM lifters making so much noise he couldn't afford to fix it, sold the truck
friend #4 sold it due to the engine making brass. (Mains)
friend #5 55,000KM.. all working okay so far.
I personally blew one up as well at work.
Edit: We have a service truck at work 5008, its an 10 power stroke, the god damn thing is down more than its up.

Dodges, i haven't heard of too many problems.. I personally loved my 5.9 and it was amazing, never dropped a dime into the engine, besides the injectors, exhaust, etc.. My buddies '11 compressor wheel did come off while highway driving.. But was covered under warranty. I have a '12 Laramie limited, and its so far awesome! not one problem. With 2 sleds on my limited, and 2 sleds on friend #5's truck i burnt about, 20-40$ more fuel than him on a 1200km round trip.. he's deleted, Chipped, exhaust and intake freed up... Mines stock.

Last edited:

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Duramax all the way. That's the year for the LML duramax which is still going, great engine, tranny, well built and drives like a car.

I have a dodge 5.9, loud pos, drives like crap. Drove a ford towing before, interior is disgusting, drives like crap and falls apart.

Gm makes the best quality and driving diesel trucks. Get a dodge if you want something cheaper.

there isn't really any big issues with the gm or dodge. With the dodge, you have to watch the air filter, don't use a fram 2" air filter or an improperly oiled KN, you can dust a 5.9 cummins easily. Google dusted 5.9 cummins.

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on how long you want to keep the truck. If 2-3 years go dodge, if longer go ford. Dodge has a long history of a strong engine wrapped in a turd of a truck. Brake, front end, transmission and electrical problems are huge with dodge trucks. And the old reliable cummins is suffering with emissions problems and being asked to produce big power which it isn't designed to do.
The older ford diesels had their problems but the new 6.7 is proving very reliable and strong. Just be sure to keep up with the maintenance and take the time to learn where to put the DEF fluid. Lots of dummies are pouring it into the diesel tank by accident resulting in major damage to the injection system. (No shortage of morons in the world!!)

Ford is better for long term overall reliability for the complete truck. Dodge has been able to keep market share by the use of the cummins in the past. Not so anymore. There's much more to a truck than the engine. Driving a rattly, wandering dodge truck full of electrical gremlins isn't for me.
But if you're only keeping it short term, either will do.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep I agree, the dodge is the cummins, the rest of the truck is garbage, rattles and front end ball joints every 50,000km

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep I agree, the dodge is the cummins, the rest of the truck is garbage, rattles and front end ball joints every 50,000km

haha, enough with the front end garbage man! the new ones are built tough. Also, if you do have an OLDER ONE THAT HAS BALL JOINT PROBLEMS, buy the fix it kit for a grand and have a stronger front end than all the other trucks. Beating a dead horse, ****.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I talked to a surveyor yesterday and all the company drives is fords and they hate them. She said her 10 f350 was the best one then she got a 12 and it's had a ton of problems. I guess it will be dodge, maybe a GM. I am not brand loyal by any means I just don't think the interior of a GM even come close to the ford and dodge. They are small and cheap IMO.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha, enough with the front end garbage man! the new ones are built tough. Also, if you do have an OLDER ONE THAT HAS BALL JOINT PROBLEMS, buy the fix it kit for a grand and have a stronger front end than all the other trucks. Beating a dead horse, ****.

Ball joints or not, it's still a wobbling rattling dodge. Funny those guys that never tow, but drive around with their mirrors flipped up... Always seems to be a guy driving a jacked up cummins.

i do like dodges tow rating, 30k lbs, can't wait for gm to catch up on that one.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ball joints or not, it's still a wobbling rattling dodge. Funny those guys that never tow, but drive around with their mirrors flipped up... Always seems to be a guy driving a jacked up cummins.

i do like dodges tow rating, 30k lbs, can't wait for gm to catch up on that one.

have you driven a brand new one? Come to calgary i'll give you a ride if you like. Solid solid truck.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buying a diesel off warranty can be a risky thing. As said earlier for most larger repairs the cab needs to come off the Ford, and for some the front clip needs to come off the GM. Dodge it can all at least be done under the hood so likely a lot less labour cost for a major repair. Ford and GM both have better transmissions than the dodge though. Dodge still seems to eat the most front end components though not as bad as they used to be. If you aren't lifting it or putting on large tires they hold up just fine. Some 2011 Fords had issues with valves breaking off and it seems that Fords are the least expensive in the used market. Dodge SLT's are reasonable but guys are asking stupid money for Laramie and up trim packages. Another consideration is DEF, none in the dodge until 2013, Ford had it in 2011 and GM in 2012.

Basically pick your poison. I have been having this debate with myself for months and I think I decided I'm just going to buy an ecoboost instead.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the interior the only reason you're not considering a GM?

Nope but it plays a big part in my decision. I had a 2010 GMC 2500 gas job with the everything but leather and it rattled and squeaked worse than any other truck I have ever owned. The bumper and running boards were rusted by 40,000 km there was a ton of play in the steering and a clunk in the front end that the dealer couldn't fix after spending $2000. I've always liked GMs until my last truck. I do really like the new ones but I'm not spending $70g on one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope but it plays a big part in my decision. I had a 2010 GMC 2500 gas job with the everything but leather and it rattled and squeaked worse than any other truck I have ever owned. The bumper and running boards were rusted by 40,000 km there was a ton of play in the steering and a clunk in the front end that the dealer couldn't fix after spending $2000. I've always liked GMs until my last truck. I do really like the new ones but I'm not spending $70g on one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had an '09 Duramax since new, and have to agree with you on the interior. Thin plastic interior definitely likes to creak and groan. I've not experienced any of the other problems you did though. 180,000km and have had zero problems to date.

No way I can justify spending that much on a new one either.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had an '09 Duramax since new, and have to agree with you on the interior. Thin plastic interior definitely likes to creak and groan. I've not experienced any of the other problems you did though. 180,000km and have had zero problems to date.

No way I can justify spending that much on a new one either.

Duramax's drivetrain, pretty damn solid! I use to service them as mountain work trucks while working for whistler blackcomb. Minimal problems.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally i would choose and 6.7 ford. driven all sorts of trucks and i think the ford is the best but thats my 2 cents.

I like reading when some one says "hey i know a guy that works a some company and they have fords and they have had problems" well no s**t they have a whole fleet of trucks abused buy employees and most likely poorly maintained.

kinda biased when thats all they run for trucks and and thats all they see break. how many mine and lease trucks do you see that aren't fords, hardly any, i thinks thats got to say something.

I have worked for ford for years and the 6.7 has proven itself as a reliable engine and everyone i know that owns one loves it.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got 81,000kms on my 2012 3500 Cummins and here's what I'll tell you contrary to what you read on here from guys who are stuck in 2002.
-I've yet to have electrical problems, rattles, squeeks or the "typical" dodge issues on the truck or with my old' 04' 5.9 ccsb which I sold with almost 300k on the clock. My truck is deleted though and most of the issues that show up in the 6.7 cummins are emissions component related.
-The factory balljoints still suck. Mine are toast and I'll be replacing them with Carli balljoints, problem solved.
-Other than basic maintenance, its been a fill up and go truck.

With that said, don't expect anything spectacular for fuel economy with a stock truck.

Nothing wrong with a 6.7 Ford either, as long as its been maintained properly. A good friend of mine is a tech at a Ford dealer and he said aside from customer abuse or screwups, they're generally a solid truck. If you can find one with an FMPP package, you're set in my book. Why other manufacturers don't offer a prepaid maintenance plan to their customers is beyond me. It sure takes the hassle of maintaining a newer diesel out of the question. Oil changes, fuel filters, brakes, belts, heck even the wiper blades are covered.

At the end of the day, they all have their issues. Go through each truck you look at with a fine tooth comb and you should be okay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom