2008 700 RMK engine down

indyguy

Reaction score
Sled has SLP pipe/HPS can, SLP airhorn, venting everywhere. Clutched right. 1800 miles. Warranty is off.
Never thought I would see a 700 motor go down.
Looks like detonation on the mag side. I have been burning regular fuel since day 1.
Any other opinions?

Was sledding with the family today - sled ran excellant all day (as it usually does). Did about 40 miles. No snow ingestion, no overheating, proper warmups all the time.
Sled pooped on me 100 yards from my house (good thing) it was dark and I hate farting around at night when a sled goes down.
Whats my best options guys?
Fix it and trade it in for new 2011?
Fix it with some minor porting and head work?
Fix it with the stock parts and keep running it?
Ask dealer if its a possible voltage regulator issue and get dealer to fix it and get some warranty after?

indyguy

Reaction score
forgot to add the dam pics

Attachments

• DSCF3165.jpg
    DSCF3165.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 326
  • DSCF3166.jpg
    DSCF3166.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 327
  • DSCF3167.jpg
    DSCF3167.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCF3168.jpg
    DSCF3168.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 326

indyguy

Reaction score
Got the rest of the motor tore down and the mag side connecting rod bearing was shot. Explains all the metal pieces every where. Just one little scar on the jug that hopefully will clean up.
PTO side was all good. Also noticed the pistons were single ring. Thought they should have been 2-ring pistons.
Looks like an expensive rebuild now.

Does anybody have or know somebody that has a 2008 700 RMK motor that they are willing to possibly sell minus the electronics?

ElectroTech

Reaction score
Good luck on finding a used motor! Might be interested in buying your sled if you decide not to fix it. Might find something in ontario or south of the border.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got the rest of the motor tore down and the mag side connecting rod bearing was shot. Explains all the metal pieces every where. Just one little scar on the jug that hopefully will clean up.
PTO side was all good. Also noticed the pistons were single ring. Thought they should have been 2-ring pistons.
Looks like an expensive rebuild now.

Does anybody have or know somebody that has a 2008 700 RMK motor that they are willing to possibly sell minus the electronics?

Check out CVTech for rebuilt short-block:beer:

indyguy

Reaction score
Good luck on finding a used motor! Might be interested in buying your sled if you decide not to fix it. Might find something in ontario or south of the border.

heres the pics - ElectoTech

Attachments

• 08 rmk f.jpg
    08 rmk f.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 285
  • 08 rmk rs.jpg
    08 rmk rs.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 289
  • 08 rmk eng.jpg
    08 rmk eng.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 292
  • 08 rmk back.jpg
    08 rmk back.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 289

marbleeye

Reaction score
That sucks well you could buy my 600 its still for sale it did out run your 700 last year ill check with my polaris guy down here for a motor for ya

willys48

Reaction score
Hi Indyguy I just lost the mag side piston on my 08 700 rmk. Piston scuffed hard on the exuast side lost compression down to 70 and had to be pulled out.
I had only 70 miles on a new top end. 1300 miles when both piston were scuffed on before i rebuilt the motor. When I had the machine in for checking after rebuild to see if all updates were done everything was ok with computer and it didn't show any codes. While the tech was checking my machine he noticed the oil sender had not been updated and told me it was leaking which I knew. I purchased a new sending unit for the oil and put it in myself since it was not under warranty anymore. When I changed the sender out the old sender had been wrapped with duck tape to keep from leaking. Well the motor let go at around 70 miles on rebuild so after removing the engine I emptied the oil tank and put a vacum check on tank and cap and could pull 10 inches of vacum. I hope this is where my oiling problem is coming from since I have checked everything else, seals, throttle body boots and fuel and everything to find nothing but the oil tank problem. It was running great no problems alway warmed up to 120 before taking off and kept the throttle working so it really never seen much midrange. My thinking is the engine runs till the oil pump can't pull oil from the tank and then there is no oil to the cylinder and it scuffs the piston and shuts down. Hey this is just my 2 cents worth. I thought the 700 was almost indestructible.

sledhead2481

Reaction score
had the same problem. did engine on warranty end of season spring 09. 2 pistons and cylinders by the start of feb this year. 1600 miles. been a polaris guy for 25 years and just switched to 800 etec renegade. so far so good

4strokin'

Reaction score
just to throw it out there i have heard some people sayin if you fill your oil tanks right to the top, the caps don't vent proper, causing air to form in the oil lines, therefore lack of lubrication. just heresay but it is a thought.

Cory Lestus

Reaction score
I just bought an 2008 rmk 155 from a dealer me and my nabour went for a 50 mile run and I burnt the pto side piston and jug no light came on and it did not loose power and they are telling me I overheated the motor. Is this possible. The other guy I was riding with said his 2006 rmk 900 with a rad delete kit runs hot to start with and his sled is fine. Some thing dose not seam right

indyguy

Reaction score
When mine went down last year - the cause was a friggen $10 base gasket on the mag side. Somehow it got a small pinhole and sucking in air and the motor was compensating Im thinking by adding more fuel. When it got colder towards evening I think the motor couldnt add enough fuel to cool it down and I ended up blowing up. I had no warning lights either.
When we tore apart the engine you could see how the extra heat had effected the pistons, rods and the mag side jug. Rebuilt the motor and it has had about 500 miles with no issues.

Top Bottom