2011 Pro RMK 800 Seized Motor **Help**

Reaction score
Hmm ... that sucks ...

If thats the problem with this one, maybe it's a warning sign others should take note. Will keep this post updated till i am riding it again...

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel for your loss, I don't know what caused your failure but I can tell you that I have seen MANY failures on all kinds of 2 strokes from old gas. I know that it has DET and all that but sometimes it just can't save the engine. Fuel now in my experience is only good for a short time unless it is in a sealed container, if it is vented like it is in your fuel tank it will not last long, I would not be willing to chance anything that has been sitting for more than two or three months. I syphon mine out and put it in the car, put fresh in the sled. I am not implying that this is what caused your problem but if the sled was not used much as you said it could have been some really old fuel and could have contributed to the problem. Something to keep in mind in the future. I can't tell you how many lawnmowers will not start in the spring only because the fuel has gone bad during the winter. Hope they help you out with the repair.

Reaction score
Yep i hear ya, i do the same thing ... not sure if the previous own had the same practice... The sled had a fresh full tank of fuel ... it had really nothing in it before...

Reactions: cs5
Reaction score
Just got over the phone with a small engine place. They have had the issues of something getting jammed in the stator... so i guess that could be the best case... pulling the motor in the next couple of days... regards of what the dealer comes up with!

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Loaded it up for a fuel top off before this weekend...[/QUOTE said:
Where did you fuel up and what type of fuel did you put in it?

dingle

Reaction score
sorry bout your luck fella, sounds sort of like mine! if it wasn't for bad luck i wouldn't have any. i have a 2011 pro bought it new in 2010. last december i blew the motor, i was 1 month off warranty. I tore the motor apart and found a split cylinder skirt and lower conrod bearing failure. The noise your motor is making in that vid sounds very similiar to the noise i was hearing before i tore it apart. I dealt with polaris dealer in fort sask and he was able to get polaris to give me a new cylinder. I would definitely get a dealer to talk with polaris about getting you some parts.

I replaced the whole bottom end, case and all. got a cylinder from polaris and bought a drop-in piston kit w/ different head and two sets of domes from RK Tech. I did all the work myself and cost me around 4 grand in parts. plus a new cylinder from polaris is 1400. I believe you can buy a whole motor, assembled, from polaris for about 5500!

I have 500 miles on the rebuild and it works better than new. Have had no issues at all yet, hope my luck dont kick in anytime soon. Rkt claims the kit to increase hp 10-15 over stock. haven't dynoed it but it definitely has some more jam, and everyone loves jam!

Reaction score
Shell gold... I would have to check the resitor... The old owner said the local polaris dealer had it setup for her and hasn't been changed.

Last edited:

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sukcs. definately sounds like something in the bottom end. I have luck getting some goodwill out of Polaris but unfortunately I am not in that department anymore. I am pretty sure I know the sled. I am pretty sure the sled would be set up with the ethanol resister in and 10-62 clutch weights for the mountains.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sukcs. definately sounds like something in the bottom end. I have luck getting some goodwill out of Polaris but unfortunately I am not in that department anymore. I am pretty sure I know the sled. I am pretty sure the sled would be set up with the ethanol resister in and 10-62 clutch weights for the mountains.
Resistor won't be an issue then if you are running Shell Gold.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was the sled serviced before you took possession? It could be a fuel filter issue!! Causing a lean burn and squeaking a piston!! Although it has low miles, you don't know where the previous owner fueled up or how they handled the fuel or stored the sled over the summer!!!
Foresure check with a Poo dealer for warranty... I know the guy I deal with (Scott out of Mountain Toys in Cochrane) goes to bat for the customer!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update:

Tonight was the first time i really had a chance to look at since we brought into the garage and i post the first video... So i decided to take a chance to see if something was jammed in the recoil area. Just because before i can spin the motor completely over if i struggle spinning the primary.

So i removed the recoil and the nothing really out of place or any pieces or foreign material. Maybe there is something between the stator and flywheel ... so i put the wrench on the nut holding the flywheel and my pry bar holding the crank still slipped... it kinda spun the motor (i didn't really put any hard pressure on it, I debating if the nut was reversed threaded, so i didn't want to damage the crank )... since i have spark plugs out... it moved somewhat easier then on the weekend... hmmm ...

Took the pry bar out and grabbed the primary .... hmmm it takes almost 20%-30% less effort to spin the motor over.

One suggestion from a polaris mechanic , it could be an injector line that could be full of fuel or something like that causing the motor to be hydraulic locked. could the bottom end be full of fuel? Is there drain holes to drain the bottom end like the old triples had?

Did i miss understand him? I will leave it for another day and take some new video demonstrating how much easier its to move. And some video showing the pistons thru the exhaust ports.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, tried it this morning. Seems to be normal.... Grant it, I think the stickiness is normal friction etc.... Here's the new video...

2011 Polaris Pro RMK Seized Update.mp4 - YouTube

It's booked at the local dealer, they seem to be really willing to help out, they were able to work me in...

The video shows more scoring on the piston pto side, does this seem to be normal?

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, tried it this morning. Seems to be normal.... Grant it, I think the stickiness is normal friction etc.... Here's the new video...

2011 Polaris Pro RMK Seized Update.mp4 - YouTube

It's booked at the local dealer, they seem to be really willing to help out, they were able to work me in...

The video shows more scoring on the piston pto side, does this seem to be normal?

There's the problem pto side has squeaked. A new piston and bobs your uncle. This is probably due to a fuel issue. Double check your octane rating of your fuel whether you had old fuel in the tank when refilled ECT. and resistor plugs. If all things were right in the fuel department something could be wrong with the fueling of the engine.

Reaction score
Update:

Found out that my son fuel the sled with Husky prem fuel... I asked him to fill with Shell Gold... so, looking at the resistor, it was set for non-eth ...

He didnt know it made a difference.

Here is a new video with the head off of it ... cylinders to the touch are smooth, and no signs of wear i can see. the head is black etc etc.

2011 Polaris 800 Seized update 2 or is it?.mp4 - YouTube

Gunnerthesnowman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have be tode that on some sleds the crankshaft PTO side bearing is going , in some cases it locks up and then the outer bearing race spins in the case and !ucks the crank case up , if its off warranty , good luck with your dealer.

Reaction score
Update:

I took the head off to night, glad to see the piston skirts are all in tacked. Will post pictures of the pistions and the complete head. The rings look good, no fuel in the bottom end.

So my hopes were high until i grabbed the PTO side pistion to move it... I heard a clink... Great the connecting rod lower bearing is moving in not a good way. So I guess i am removing the motor. I am going to have to find out if the dealer wants to look at it without being in the sled... I hope so...
:-(

Will post video links shortly. So any idea's what would cause that?

dragontex

Reaction score
If you have the bottom end apart you should look into having a power addition long rod kit installed in it.

Top Bottom