2011 Pro RMK 800 Seized Motor **Help**

Reaction score
Good Day... well it was until I took my (new to me) sled out for a ride. Bought it with 753 miles on it. I have put less than 20 miles on it. I thought today was a good day to really ride this sled, wife in Vegas... "No Honey Due List".

So here is how the morning went:

11:17 am - Started sled, let it idle outside till the exhaust warm to 100f
11:28 am - nicely drove it out of the sub division (no more then 4500-5000 rpm, for 3 city blocks)
11:33 am - Out in the field, started to open her up ... working great...
11:37 am - 3 km from the outset ... slow down for fence line (20 m/h) exhaust sounded louder for a spilt second, snowmobile shutdown.
11:38 am - hmmm, did I hit the kill switch ... nope, pull the recoil rope... "NO WAY" doesn't move...
11:39 - open side covers, check belt and primary ... looks fine.
11:41 - Phone for rescue vehicle to come pick up
11:58 - Truck arrives...
12:03 - Damn Truck stuck
12:21 - new rescue vehicle gets truck un stuck
12:30 - truck and sled heading home
12:44 - unload sled
12:53 - plugs pulled ... looks black ... brown ... and the very tip is whitish ... no metal on tips
- light in spark plug holes... top of cylinders... black ... no holes I can see...
- Checked oil reservoir, oil has gone down.
- grab primary with two hands, can hand move the motor, extremely hard.
- So something is in the bottom end, can move the primary back and forth easily 1 inch
Pistons move up and down accordingly

1:43 - Phoned wife in Vegas, she asked how my day was going... well
1:47 - calmed wife down (she told me to buy new)

So...

Since I just bought this sled less than 3 weeks ago, she said there is no warranty.

My questions are:
- Any other 2011-2012 800's out there with the same issue
- is Polaris helping with any of the cost of fixing or am I SOL
- Any advice on how to approach Polaris\Dealer with this issue
- any suggestions where the best place to get this fixed, I am more than mechanical to remove and tear down the motor, but don’t want to take a chance of putting it back together to make it un reliable.
- Any ideas what I could expect the costs be to fix the motor?

BTW: I live in Lloydminster, AB 230 east of Edmonton or 234 km West of Saskatoon...

8:00pm - pouring more whiskey and pouting ... :'(

Thanks

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good Day... well it was until I took my (new to me) sled out for a ride. Bought it with 753 miles on it. I have put less than 20 miles on it. I thought today was a good day to really ride this sled, wife in Vegas... "No Honey Due List".

So here is how the morning went:

11:17 am - Started sled, let it idle outside till the exhaust warm to 100f
11:28 am - nicely drove it out of the sub division (no more then 4500-5000 rpm, for 3 city blocks)
11:33 am - Out in the field, started to open her up ... working great...
11:37 am - 3 km from the outset ... slow down for fence line (20 m/h) exhaust sounded louder for a spilt second, snowmobile shutdown.
11:38 am - hmmm, did I hit the kill switch ... nope, pull the recoil rope... "NO WAY" doesn't move...
11:39 - open side covers, check belt and primary ... looks fine.
11:41 - Phone for rescue vehicle to come pick up
11:58 - Truck arrives...
12:03 - Damn Truck stuck
12:21 - new rescue vehicle gets truck un stuck
12:30 - truck and sled heading home
12:44 - unload sled
12:53 - plugs pulled ... looks black ... brown ... and the very tip is whitish ... no metal on tips
- light in spark plug holes... top of cylinders... black ... no holes I can see...
- Checked oil reservoir, oil has gone down.
- grab primary with two hands, can hand move the motor, extremely hard.
- So something is in the bottom end, can move the primary back and forth easily 1 inch
Pistons move up and down accordingly

1:43 - Phoned wife in Vegas, she asked how my day was going... well
1:47 - calmed wife down (she told me to buy new)

So...

Since I just bought this sled less than 3 weeks ago, she said there is no warranty.

My questions are:
- Any other 2011-2012 800's out there with the same issue
- is Polaris helping with any of the cost of fixing or am I SOL
- Any advice on how to approach Polaris\Dealer with this issue
- any suggestions where the best place to get this fixed, I am more than mechanical to remove and tear down the motor, but don’t want to take a chance of putting it back together to make it un reliable.
- Any ideas what I could expect the costs be to fix the motor?

BTW: I live in Lloydminster, AB 230 east of Edmonton or 234 km West of Saskatoon...

8:00pm - pouring more whiskey and pouting ... :'(

Thanks

Tell your wife to double down on black.....

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take it back to the dealer and talk to the owner or manager if you only put 20 miles on it then they should at least help with the cost if not pay to fix it, you probably should of waited longer than 20 minutes to start opening her up lots if people let there sleds just warm up for that long. Good luck tho

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take it back to the dealer and talk to the owner or manager if you only put 20 miles on it then they should at least help with the cost if not pay to fix it, you probably should of waited longer than 20 minutes to start opening her up lots if people let there sleds just warm up for that long. Good luck tho

Not new.. new to him

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not new.. new to him

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
Yeah I know but I think he said he got it from a dealer and even a used sled from a dealer should have some sort of warranty on it, when you buy something from a dealer new or used you expect it to be taken care of and to run right, my dealer would help me out if I was in this situation

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I would take it back to the dealer with your detailed description printed out from your post and have them look it up to see if there were any recalls or warranty work done on this engine. Was it just the 2010's that had issues?

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have an 11 and have 4 year engine warrenty maybe yours is still covered??it should be for another two years ...unless it wasnt snow checked in the first place

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Let the sled warm up for 20 mins? You got a diesel sled? Lol

Sent from a iPhone

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealer bought or private deal? I wouldn't think cold seize---polaris had a lot of piston clearance in that engine but you never know. I would check for warranty some came with two years and some with four years as an option I think.

brutis20

Reaction score
Yeah, 20 mins is lots of warm up, probably would over heat if it never moved for longet than that.

My 2012 did something similar, it was a folded ring on the piston. It was warranty covered. if you bought it from a dealer I would definately bug them. If not i would rip it apart and see whats up, with any luck its just a top end and it would be a good time to upgrade pistons to RKT or something.

Mine did something similar when you say you moved the clutch.

Good luck

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You mentioned the oil went down, is there a cut oil line? Check oil pump for correct operation.
Pull the head off for a quick inspect, even if you take it to the dealer. At least you will know how the cylinders look.
Pull the exhaust, and look at the pistons, you will be able to see if they are scored.
I let mine warm till about 100f too, not 20 min, mind you...
Maybe an injector problem. If you have a melted piston its possible an injector failed and it got hot. Heat seazed, then cooled enough to turn over by hand. Happened to me on my 12 pro, caused by a lean situation while tuning my turbo. Stupid mistake.
All 12 pros have 2 yrs. Warranty. It should be covered.
Did you notice the heat temp prior to it quiting? Mine runs at 127-135f all the time.
Did you nce any faults or eng lights? Whatever happened the machine should have known before you and it def would have warned you somehow.
Good luck.

Reaction score
I hate to say i bought it from a gal that was buying a new 2013, to save the tax i bought it before it became inventory for the dealership. I thought 743 miles (approx 7-8 tanks of gas), hardly ridden last year due to the lack of snow. It was not snow checked, if i do recall. To clairify the oil comment.. It was using normal amount of oil ... filled it up before leaving the yard... moved enough to IMO to see it. Checked bottom underneath the motor, no oil.

2011 Pro RMK 800 Seized - YouTube

Last edited:

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me last year, sled came out of lethbrige. Blew up 1/2 mile out of the gate... They swore it never came from there.... Let's hope it's not from there

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let the sled warm up for 20 mins? You got a diesel sled? Lol

Sent from a iPhone
Well I start it then put my gear on and usually it's around then
thinking about it now it could only be 10 or 15 cause mine shuts it self off after its ran for a couple of minutes after its warm

Last edited:

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It didn't cold seize .It's very hard to cold seize sleds now a days.I think its bottom end.Could be ring Thats turned to?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with a dealer... Warranty expired Oct 19th, 2012 ... :'( ... they said there is a 50 50 chance polaris may cover it. Has anyone been successful with good faith warranty from polaris?

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with a dealer... Warranty expired Oct 19th, 2012 ... :'( ... they said there is a 50 50 chance polaris may cover it. Has anyone been successful with good faith warranty from polaris?
Any brands warranty is only as good as the dealer.Just wondering did it die like it was powering out or did it backfire a few times then lock up?

Reaction score
Any brands warranty is only as good as the dealer.Just wondering did it die like it was powering out or did it backfire a few times then lock up?

Well, it did backfire once a couple of days before this ride... I didn't pull the cord hard enough, pulled second time... Bang. Let it warmup and took it for a quick ride... Loaded it up for a fuel top off before this weekend...

During the ride... No backfire, no loss of power. Just slowed down to make the turn... Maybe 20 mph tops... Exhaust got loud for a quick second... And turned off...

any suggestions on which dealer would work the hardest for me. I live on the sask/Alberta border... They would have a customer for life ... Lol

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No sorry I live along ways away from you,I ride doo and I had a few buddies rings that turn and they all back fired a few times and then about 20-30 miles later the ring hooked the exhaust port .Just a thought.

Top Bottom