2 more die on the slopes of B.C.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jeezzz...:(
Why can't people just stay off the slopes? This time they are skiers.... but nevertheless. It is another black eye for us back country recreational enthusiasts.:confused::(

I know there is going to be things said about them being skiers... Lets stay professional about it and not go all redneck and turn this into a skier/sledder bashfest.

Alfred

Reaction score
My deepest condolenses to the family. I was so sad when I heard about the loss. Please let's be careful out there!

Last edited by a moderator:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Find it funny that no one mentions what heli ski operation they are with?? I also think its hilarious that the tone of the comments at the bottom of the article are vastly different from what was said when it was sledders. Now its a tragedy....

I will be asking Les Auston of the BCSF if they are going to have a rebuttal to Mike Wiegle's comments. Pretty silly to go off on national TV about how safe heli ski operations are and then your industry has an incident 3 days later..........

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RIP

I wonder if the RCMP will be looking at charging the Heli-Ski operator with negligence.....

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, if you read the entire article you will see we lost another sledder.

Maybe I missed it so you may want to point that out to me. We lost 3 sledders last week 2 at Turbo and 1 at Eagle Pass and my condolences to those 3 as well as the heliskiers

Guest101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Find it funny that no one mentions what heli ski operation they are with?? I also think its hilarious that the tone of the comments at the bottom of the article are vastly different from what was said when it was sledders. Now its a tragedy....

I will be asking Les Auston of the BCSF if they are going to have a rebuttal to Mike Wiegle's comments. Pretty silly to go off on national TV about how safe heli ski operations are and then your industry has an incident 3 days later..........

CMH Valemount

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the lost, both sledders and skiiers. I read the comments after the story and its funny how they are assuming the heli-ski company did everything right without having all the facts but the sledders were careless and reckless. Maybe on a more positive note for sledders, what ever they impose for sledding they may have to do the same for back country skiing.

Guest101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is really getting out of hand now ...aren't there any golf courses open yet ?????
Muh !

golf courses have been open for a few weeks in the okanogan fishing has been pretty hot as well!!

Maclintock

Reaction score
Sorry for the lost, both sledders and skiiers. I read the comments after the story and its funny how they are assuming the heli-ski company did everything right without having all the facts but the sledders were careless and reckless. Maybe on a more positive note for sledders, what ever they impose for sledding they may have to do the same for back country skiing.

I think the Operations that run cat and Heli businesses are very well regulated and have to follow strict guidlines especially when it comes to their guides. Not positive but pretty sure of this.

Whatever laws and regs That are implemented for fall 2011, will include all backcountry users form skiers/snowboarders to Sledders and not just sledders.

Maclintock

Reaction score
golf courses have been open for a few weeks in the okanogan fishing has been pretty hot as well!!

Northpow, in the pass that golfing is a month away at least and that is if it doesn't snow. Had some friends who were back in Boonies near South Castle yesterday and said their was a ft of freshies in the trees and they had a riot
in the trees ( Note in the Trees). Did say they saw and heard a lot of stuff coming down all day on the slopes.:d

Going West

Reaction score
Not a good week.

We had a ride planned for last week but have keep pushing it back cause of all the slides. The Avy warnings have backed off a bit but its apparently its still hair trigger out there and everything thats letting go is BIG.

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My heart goes out to the two skiers who lost there lives, there family & friends and the people involved. We are all doing what we love to do I don't find anything hilarious or funny in tragedy. We prayed for the sledders and the skiers deserve the same respect.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree. Days after hammering on snowmobile enthuasts, we see a death (which is tragic) on the heli skiing operation. (Is this outfit operated by Mike W.?)

I hope when this makes news, they make mention "Days after heli ski operator Mike W. describes heli-skiing being safe, one skier dies in northern B.C"

I agree we shouldn't slam eachother, because in the end we'll all be fighting a similar battle, but this should be smeared in his face in a respectful manor. We all know he uses every leverage he can to do it to us. The news should do this themselves, but like the comments on that article, it will see a different tone and the question of weather or not sledders are properly trianed will be accessed.

Maclintock

Reaction score
I agree. Days after hammering on snowmobile enthuasts, we see a death (which is tragic) on the heli skiing operation. (Is this outfit operated by Mike W.?)

I hope when this makes news, they make mention "Days after heli ski operator Mike W. describes heli-skiing being safe, one skier dies in northern B.C"

I agree we shouldn't slam eachother, because in the end we'll all be fighting a similar battle, but this should be smeared in his face in a respectful manor. We all know he uses every leverage he can to do it to us. The news should do this themselves, but like the comments on that article, it will see a different tone and the question of weather or not sledders are properly trianed will be accessed.

They did say it was the Heli outfit run out of Valemount and not Wigs.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My heart goes out to the two skiers who lost there lives, there family & friends and the people involved. We are all doing what we love to do I don't find anything hilarious or funny in tragedy. We prayed for the sledders and the skiers deserve the same respect.

Well said. Condolences to the family and friends of the deceased skiers. I will however be paying close attention for comments to be made, if any from Mr. Weigele.

Guest101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Northpow, in the pass that golfing is a month away at least and that is if it doesn't snow. Had some friends who were back in Boonies near South Castle yesterday and said their was a ft of freshies in the trees and they had a riot
in the trees ( Note in the Trees). Did say they saw and heard a lot of stuff coming down all day on the slopes.:d

Golf course should be open in a week or two here in revy! Seen some dudes at the driving range yesterday...but riding is no where near done we will be riding into june as usual. Just need to let $hit run its course.

Going West

Reaction score
Well be out there a time or two as well. The snow will settle again and the risk will be down. Just have to chill for a week or two or stick to the trees.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Well be out there a time or two as well. The snow will settle again and the risk will be down. Just have to chill for a week or two or stick to the trees.

Ah, good ol' Biggar! "New York is big but this is Biggar". Been there, done that and used to have many t-shirts from there! Born and raised in that fine town....

Top Bottom