PIEPS Beacon Failures

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I e-mailed Black Diamond, was instructed to open a warranty claim on their website and the next day got an e-mail saying to send in my unit along with a FedEx shipping label, they will then send out an updated model. If it all works out that's pretty good!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got my e mail back and it states that I can replace both of my DSP pros for a micro bt or micro sensor for $100 usd or I can upgrade to the pro bt for $100 usd. Did you still have proof of purchase for yours? I am just trying to understand the reasoning for the difference in price.

Either way. Looks like I will get 2 brand new transceivers for only $200 which seems very fair to me considering the 2 that I have now have served me well for 5-6 years.

Thats interesting, no I could not find my BOS. I was not in my box.
Did they ask you to return your beacon to them first???

Thats a decent price for two if the exchange and the duty do not drive the price up to much.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I literally received my response today and it said $100/ unit exchange. The weird part was that it didn’t matter weather it was the pro or the micro the price stayed at $100 usd per unit. I had provided proof of purchase but it did indicate that the date of purchase was ~5 years ago. How old is your transceiver juicecan? And did you show proof of purchase?

I did get my free shipping label, and was ready to send them back tomorrow but I am now considering if I should wait or not.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like everyone is getting different answers.
I definitely like the second offer they gave me.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was quoted the $100usd per unit to exchange but then emailed back asking why some are being offered replacement for free and have not heard back yet. What was your initial and secondary offers that you received?

Seems like everyone is getting different answers.
I definitely like the second offer they gave me.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was quoted the $100usd per unit to exchange but then emailed back asking why some are being offered replacement for free and have not heard back yet. What was your initial and secondary offers that you received?

My original offer was more money than yours and it’s posted above.

After seeing some of these posts I messaged them again. I still could not find my original Bill of sale.
It changed from the money, to a free replacement and they are sending my a new Black diamond BT guide beacon, it should arrive today, it says its in Edmonton this morning. After I received my new one than I send in my old one.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
161c9ce1c48bd93efa5b0387d9b8331c.jpg

Got it.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So When I was setting up my new Beacon, I was using the pieps app canse the new one is Bluetooth, my old DSP came up as a registered product on my profile. My DSP just came out of warranty, I dunno if thats the difference in my second reply or not. I do recall that the warranty Increased to 5 years if the product was registered.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got an email back letting me know to give them time. I expect a pieps pro bt in exchange for my dsp pro. If I would be trading in the dsp sports then I would understand the black diamond pro bt but I believe the exchange should be fair across the board with the price point reflected. I will fill you guys in as to what their reply is. At this point it sure seems that they are at least standing behind their products.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very good to know. When I saw your post with it in hand I checked price point and I found it for 369 (or so I thought as I can not find it listed that low now) but the pieps was 499. As long as I have a fair for fair trade I believe black diamond has held their own with this deal

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exact same response I got when I questioned them on why I was being charged $100usd per transceiver. The previous interactions were quite quick.... but I would suspect that now there are more people getting on the bandwagon which will slow down their processes a bit.

the good news for me is I am out with some knee surgery and couldn’t use them now if I wanted. Hopefully I will have this all sorted out by the new year so I will be ready to ride.

Cars0n`

Reaction score
I got the original offer of the different price points listed a few pages back, but they sent back an email with my case number and all that stuff saying its been processed and gave me the link for a $100 pro BT. Mine was a dsp pro about 5 or 6 years old and it was in great shape. I placed my order the other day and was happy with the $100 upgrade but now seeing they are giving them back for free makes me wonder why. I was out of warranty and didn't register it either.

Caper how long did it take you to get yours? I placed my order but haven't received any tracking info yet.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the original offer of the different price points listed a few pages back, but they sent back an email with my case number and all that stuff saying its been processed and gave me the link for a $100 pro BT. Mine was a dsp pro about 5 or 6 years old and it was in great shape. I placed my order the other day and was happy with the $100 upgrade but now seeing they are giving them back for free makes me wonder why. I was out of warranty and didn't register it either.

Caper how long did it take you to get yours? I placed my order but haven't received any tracking info yet.

I cannot remember but it was pretty quick. They ordered mine for me, I didn’t have to do much other than send my old one in.

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the offer of 100USD as well a few days back. I had bought my beacon like 5 or 6 years ago too. No actual issue with the sliding lock but wanting up switch as a precaution. Anyone else have this old of a pieps and that’s why they aren’t offering a free upgrade like some?

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the offer of 100USD as well a few days back. I had bought my beacon like 5 or 6 years ago too. No actual issue with the sliding lock but wanting up switch as a precaution. Anyone else have this old of a pieps and that’s why they aren’t offering a free upgrade like some?

I sent my 3 back but they must be getting flooded as I have not got an offer back. It’s been 3 weeks now so I’ll call next week. If they don’t do something next week new beacons and they will not be pieps.

Top Bottom