2 more die on the slopes of B.C.

mt.sledder

Reaction score
Take a look at these stats and compare them to the focus the media is putting on sledders

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is really getting out of hand now ...aren't there any golf courses open yet ?????
Muh !

A lady died a few years ago in kamloops when a tree on the golf course she was playing blew over and hit her. There are risks in everything we do

Reaction score
Go to CTV.ca as there is an interesting interview with CMH. He said that they have had 10 fatalities in there 46 year history and had taken over 140 thousand people skiing.
RIP all

Going West

Reaction score
That numbe seems a little high. lets say that there 5 monts of sking in the year. You would have to take about 22 differnt people every day for the whole 46 years.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to CTV.ca as there is an interesting interview with CMH. He said that they have had 10 fatalities in there 46 year history and had taken over 140 thousand people skiing. RIP all.[/QUOTE said:
10 fatal avy's 25 dead

That numbe seems a little high. lets say that there 5 monts of sking in the year. You would have to take about 22 differnt people every day for the whole 46 years.

Actually seem low, the 140,000 people are propbaly staying for 7 days each for 980,000 client days. 150 people a day for their 11 different lodges seems about right.

a 1 in 40,000 per day death rate odds. I would think sledders have a much lower rate probably around 1 in 100,000 , roughly 100,000 sledders in BC and Alta going average 10 times a year and average about 10 avy deaths per year. Still to high, what odds are acceptable to you?, and what do you do personally to lower those odds.

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

CMH is one of the biggest back country heli skiing companies around. They have many different areas in BC all with back country lodges.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
condolences to the skiers families. The families must be in a real mess right now. Foreign country, different language (in the west). Started out as a great vacation in a beauitiful country and then this happens. Skier or whatever recreation they were doing not a good end to a holiday. Lots of issues for the families to deal with getting the bodies home and all.

Rescue Pilot

Reaction score
CMH is one of the biggest back country heli skiing companies around. They have many different areas in BC all with back country lodges.

Correction, CMH IS the Biggest Heli-Ski company in the World, with 6 Backcountry Lodges ( 44 guests ea ) 1 Backcountry Lodge with 33 guests, 1 Backcountry Lodge with 10 guests, and 4 Front Country Operations with 10 to 48 guests each.

Any given winter day could see as many as 450 Skiers out. 450 Skiers per day x a 16 week season is 50,000 skier days per year, although not all operations are full for 16 weeks.

As RGM mentioned, the 140,000 skier visits seems low, My guess was 3 x that.

I don't know much about Weiggle-World, But I think CMH is about 2X if not 3X bigger.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I noticed the skiing avalanch gets about a miute of news and then it swings back to the sledders for the rest of the story. we dont generate the revenue that the heli ski buisness does so its not to bad to tarnish us. I heard the solicitor general mention that they are thinking about imposing fines to people who are going into the backcountry when ratings are high, does that include all users or just sledders. do you think heli ski operations will shutdown when the ratings are high. CMH was skiing tye next day after having a massive slide with deaths. To much money involved.

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I noticed the same thing with the new that AM. Sad for anyone that enjoys the mountains

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
B.S. Sledders take a bit hit on the news and skiers get brushed under the rug and there is barely any news on this.:realmad::realmad:

The report is on page 4 in the paper,,, sleds make the cover,, I dont get it

RIP to all that go down in the hills. its very sad.

sledhead2010

Reaction score
The report is on page 4 in the paper,,, sleds make the cover,, I dont get it

RIP to all that go down in the hills. its very sad.

It's quite simple the snowmobiling community shot itself several times in the foot per say with the Revy Avy. There is a lot that can be learned from the tragedy at Revy if we take the time. A big one is how to deal with the media in a situation like this.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's quite simple the snowmobiling community shot itself several times in the foot per say with the Revy Avy. There is a lot that can be learned from the tragedy at Revy if we take the time. A big one is how to deal with the media in a situation like this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom