Ymir/Nelson Riding Info

sicamoose

Reaction score
A small group of us have booked a cabin for end of February 2015. Looking to take the sleds and shuttle buddies for some skiing/boarding, so access to areas with nice skiing/boarding terrain (chutes, spines, glades) would be sweet! Any advice for good areas in the Ymir area? North side of Hwy 3 between Salmo/Creston looks like lots of clear cut areas. Are their staging areas along that road? Any help would be appreciated.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Up Barrett Lk off the PuertoRico road is the closest access to decent terrain without giving away too many secrets. Can be high avy terrain though around the lake.

Giveout creek closer to Nelson has some great riding terrain and isn't overalls travelled.

The Pass can be challenging. There are a few spots to stage from on the Creston side and there are huts up several of the areas.

Momma I believe is the club president for Creston now and would certainly be able to give you some great suggestions for that side.

Nelson/Castlegar is my favourite area to ride out of everywhere we ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Much of the area on the Salmo/Creston corridor is managed under the NCC and the Darkwoods projects, so if you are planning any riding in that area specifically, you will need a permit (maybe, if you can still ride there). The area is huge and covers from Ymir mt down to 3 sisters and over to Kootenay Lake. Map is in Page 8 of this report: https://mer.markit.com/br-reg/PublicReport.action?getDocumentById=true&document_id=100000000004959

This area is still only "exclusive" use as much as I know, I don't know what's happened in the last couple years for this, haven't heard anything. Before that you needed to be a KCSC club member to ride there, as the Kokanee Country sled club and Pluto Darkwoods Corp had an exclusive agreement. Contact the local club for what's in place now, as this now belongs to the Natural Conservancy of Canada, you will be tarred and feather if caught riding out of bounds into this area.

Certain areas up Porcupine and Baldy are also closed to snowmobiling due to mountain caribou

Grew up all over those hills, let me know if you need more info. Used to be a lot more area to ride over there.

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From Ymir into Barrett Lk lots of backcountry & Heli ski users in the area, a few Heli drop pins up top both sides of valley, picks up on the lake I even seen them in the valley setting down. Like Bounce said can be heavy avy danger in this area this time of year, Some skiers can be a good source of knowledge on Avy conditions in the general area more then likely they dug a pit up top so you know the conditions your dealing with above you. Marble Lk /Siwash Mtn is ok for sled/skiing some cabins throughout the area for backcountry use, best to know where they are if something goes wrong as usually happens at the end of a great day on the Mtn. Talk to locals or hook up with another group, pull some climbs through the trees, you will find some hidden honey holes. Also most staging areas are not big trailer friendly, usually locals it’s a 1 sled a truck, 10 trucks take up allot of room in the small pull out. Have a blast!
Ya Mod Man, don’t know what to say on the Darkwoods issue???? However there is plenty of other play areas in the Koots without having to deal with Nature Controversy :nono:

Top Bottom