Yellowstone Avy

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hunters & Backcountry folks be careful! On Sunday, October 28, three skiers were in the northern Bridger Range ascending a south facing slope immediately south of Frazier Basin when they triggered and avalanche. All three were partially buried with one injured. The avalanche was triggered near the ridgeline as they were skinning uphill. They felt the slope collapse with a “whumph” and saw the s...lope fracture above them which swept all three to the bottom, but not before beating them up on the rocky bed surface with one suffering a deep knee laceration and hip injury. Luckily they were not completely buried in the slide. The skiers were buried to their chest or armpits. At noon they called Gallatin County Search and Rescue to toboggan the injured skier out which was completed by 3:30 p.m. This time of year the best skiing will be found on wind-loaded slopes where the snow is deepest. This accident reinforces the behavior of only traveling one at a time in avalanche terrain and carrying rescue gear. Ride safe.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, good thing they all survived. Reading through this, the only thing I was thinking was why were they so close together that they all got caught...

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crap that's early for Avy's
So glad to hear all are OK

Mind set I have taken over the last 10 yrs its never to early or to late in the season for avy's to occur. Another foot of snow and this could have been alot worse outcome all three were buried up to armpits scary chit.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, good thing they all survived. Reading through this, the only thing I was thinking was why were they so close together that they all got caught...

They put skinz on their ski's and hike up in a line taking turns breaking trail. They get to the top and ski down as a group. This I've always found a bit strange, As sledders we try to limit one machine on the pull at a time. How many times have you seen heli skiing footage with 10 of them coming down the face at the same time? Makes no sence to me. I guess when you sign the release it's all on the individual anyways.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heli skiing in one thing, especially when filming is concerned, as it's on the guides to choose safer terrain and there is a heli and camera crew there for rescue. But even skinning, I would try to keep more distance. So, you can't talk as easy, and it takes longer to trade off who is breaking trail, but at least your chances of survival go way up. If they were completely buried, instead of up to their chests, we would be reading some very different news.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would try to keep more distance. So, you can't talk as easy, and it takes longer to trade off who is breaking trail, but at least your chances of survival go way up. If they were completely buried, instead of up to their chests, we would be reading some very different news.

Yep, safety comes before social. You can have a chat when you get to the peak and light up your lefty.

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always so important to be careful. I can understand that thinking it's early, or late or whatever may lead people to a false sense of security, but reading the snow, taking time to look at the forecast and weather (take an AST1 course) are so important to riding safely or enjoying the back country.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for 1 they were on a "south facing slope" and any body with back country experience knows to split up when u come across and open slope . must not of had to much back country knowledge eh Ziggy

I'll give u that one it was a poor decision to proceed as a group at that point.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only negative thing about a great site like this is if something happens to anyone it's like it will happen to a family member.
STAY SAFE out there this year PLEASE!!!

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Bridgers are north of Bozeman so it's tough to call it Yellowstone.

Anyhow, good early season reminder to use our heads.

Top Bottom