Yellowknife

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Tomorrow the Wife and I are abandoning the kids for 10 days and taking the little trailer to Yellowknife. Plan to play some golf on the tundra with a portable turf tee, do some fishing in GSL & the Mackenzie, look at some waterfalls and drink lots of wine & beer.

Anyone have any other Yellowknife suggestions other than "Don't come back"

As far as preparation we've done our research, bug spray, bear bangers, extra fuel good spare tires etc.etc. looking more for "must see or do's"

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have fun and be safe
Tomorrow the Wife and I are abandoning the kids for 10 days and taking the little trailer to Yellowknife. Plan to play some golf on the tundra with a portable turf tee, do some fishing in GSL & the Mackenzie, look at some waterfalls and drink lots of wine & beer.

Anyone have any other Yellowknife suggestions other than "Don't come back"

As far as preparation we've done our research, bug spray, bear bangers, extra fuel good spare tires etc.etc. looking more for "must see or do's"

have fun and be safe

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know and couple of locals up there. They might show you some local sites and take ya fishing that kind of stuff. Last week he claimed he caught a 16 lb trout or something like that. Northern Pike 4 feet plus.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Tell them to come out and introduce themselves at the "Yellowknife welcomes Bogger" party Saturday night...... Biggest thing to hit the territories since Metallica played Tuktoyaktuk in 1995....

I know and couple of locals up there. They might show you some local sites and take ya fishing that kind of stuff. Last week he claimed he caught a 16 lb trout or something like that. Northern Pike 4 feet plus.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check picnic tables out and the local jail.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are driving through the Buffalo sanctuary hope your truck isn't red! LOL!!
Lots of neat stuff to see along the highway, hay river waterfall, the ferry over the river and Jakes Mistake. Drive slow from Edzo to yellowknife especially with a trailer. Very bumpy road. Check out the visitors centre at the nwt border. In yellowknife make sure one meal at least is at Bullocks. Try the char, you wont regret it. The wildcat should be open as well. Most of all, park the truck and walk through old town and see the little cafes and craft shops.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there's no more ferry over the mackenzie, they built a bridge. the old ferry landings are a great spot to try for those big pike. bring a pair of jaw spreaders, you don't want your hands anywhere near those teeth when you're retrieving your hook from way down their throat. they hit hard, if you're using anything other than braided superline....save your time and go sightseeing lol

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I run 60lb redline, my worst fear is hooking & losing a monster, we have 30lb's in Wab just few & far between most are 3-ish I hear that 12-15's are a common occurrence in GSL & the Mackenzie. I'll be re-spooling fresh line before casting into the NWT water to, just to be safe.

there's no more ferry over the mackenzie, they built a bridge. the old ferry landings are a great spot to try for those big pike. bring a pair of jaw spreaders, you don't want your hands anywhere near those teeth when you're retrieving your hook from way down their throat. they hit hard, if you're using anything other than braided superline....save your time and go sightseeing lol

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run 60lb redline, my worst fear is hooking & losing a monster, we have 30lb's in Wab just few & far between most are 3-ish I hear that 12-15's are a common occurrence in GSL & the Mackenzie. I'll be re-spooling fresh line before casting into the NWT water to, just to be safe.
you'll be fine then, I don't think I've caught any pike less than 10 lbs out of the river up there. biggest I've seen with my own eyes is 32, heard tales of 40+. might be a little slower fishing this time of year but not by much, mid june on the river is pretty insane action. right now you're worst enemy will be the bugs. grab one of those cheapo head nets for the deer flies while fishing, just in case.

you'll love it up there, lots of cool stuff to see. as mentioned, hit the twin falls park on the way up and make sure you check out the old side of town when you get to YK. have a good trip dude.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Let me guess your bringing Ric too????? I can't even get you to come visit when I am home, not too worried about you and your walker gang crashing my pad when I'm not around. Besides my place is not walker nor wheel chair friendly, I suppose Butch could piggy back you.... Boat keys are hanging on the hook in the pantry.

T-4 hours

butch and i are heading there this afternoon,

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Thanks man will do.... Not sure when we are heading back south but if we end up in the Peace Country for a night or 2 I'll give you a shout.

you'll be fine then, I don't think I've caught any pike less than 10 lbs out of the river up there. biggest I've seen with my own eyes is 32, heard tales of 40+. might be a little slower fishing this time of year but not by much, mid june on the river is pretty insane action. right now you're worst enemy will be the bugs. grab one of those cheapo head nets for the deer flies while fishing, just in case.

you'll love it up there, lots of cool stuff to see. as mentioned, hit the twin falls park on the way up and make sure you check out the old side of town when you get to YK. have a good trip dude.

RhinoWhino

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let me guess your bringing Ric too????? I can't even get you to come visit when I am home, not too worried about you and your walker gang crashing my pad when I'm not around. Besides my place is not walker nor wheel chair friendly, I suppose Butch could piggy back you.... Boat keys are hanging on the hook in the pantry.

T-4 hours

That will cost Larry hahahaha . Sweet , i have my boat license so gtg .

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks man will do.... Not sure when we are heading back south but if we end up in the Peace Country for a night or 2 I'll give you a shout.
I suggest checking out or staying in the Dunvegan valley, beautiful area, very colorful in the fall and from what I'm told lots of history in the campground

Top Bottom