Yanking around a 40' toy hauler, with gas engine

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm sure this has been hashed out before, so point me in the right direction.

The numbers say I can, but would does anyone here do it- pull a 40' Raptor, with a gas SRW 1 ton?? I'm thinking 4:30ish gears would be a benefit.
Mostly the prairies- occasional long mountain pulls. Doesn't need to be a race car, but sure would be nice to maintain 'normal' towing speed.

Anyway, thanks in advance :beer:

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'd be bagging the gas pot to keep a steady / decent speed and would hate to have to make an emergency stop or quick maneuver.
Anything can be done, but should it? Just my 2 cents.
If you can step it up in engine and stability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pull a lighter 36 ' with a v10 hemi. Pulls good , BUT I would not pull a lot of mountains imo...
Its not going to pull like diesel , but the new ones pull good !

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pull a lighter 36 ' with a v10 hemi. Pulls good , BUT I would not pull a lot of mountains imo...
Its not going to pull like diesel , but the new ones pull good !

V10 hemi???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
V8 he means. 6.4 hemi. Anyways what is the weight of the trailer? I have a 41' raptor that is 13.6k dry and maxes out at 17,5k. I sold my dodge hemi 6.4 because it would have been overweight an struggled with that trailer. I bought a chev diesel 1ton srw that hauls it easily.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this a joke?

Why would you ask that??

Currently I have a 6.7 PS dually, and it pulls it just fine. I'm just getting sick of the finicky programs. And it's hard to justify a diesel, when most of the time it's simply not needed.

I'm also curious about the quick manouver question??

backsledder

Reaction score
I think you would be disappointed after pulling with a Diesel, fuel cost would be the killer for me. Emissions problems with the diesel?

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would you ask that??

Currently I have a 6.7 PS dually, and it pulls it just fine. I'm just getting sick of the finicky programs. And it's hard to justify a diesel, when most of the time it's simply not needed.

I'm also curious about the quick manouver question??

Common misconception when you look at gas horsepower and torque numbers are based at an RPM where most people would never let sit at for longer than 20-30 seconds. 411hp@5500rpm 434 ftlb @4500rpm. My Mega cab tractors along at 2000ish and lets the turbo do the work I think the first head wind you encounter you will instantly regret the gasser just my 2 cents.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Emissions problems with the diesel?

Nope, on the contrary. It's a 2015, with around 68,000 km on it. Been deleted since around 12,000. My 11 with H&S was awsome. But this one has the Bullydog, and it's a bit finicky. The latest download is pretty good- but still not as nice as the H&S was.

Thanks for the input guys. Kinda confirmed what I thought ;)

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pull a 40' tandem axle toyhauler with a SRW 8.1 gas pot. uses more fuel, sure...but it does just fine, even in a headwind.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would be to safe pulling our 44' tri with a gas truck.. your looking for trouble at best, unless it's a real short trip.. out gas has problems with a 10k trailer let alone a 25k trailer..

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'd be bagging the gas pot to keep a steady / decent speed and would hate to have to make an emergency stop or quick maneuver.
Anything can be done, but should it? Just my 2 cents.
If you can step it up in engine and stability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What does the engine have to do with an emergency stop or sudden maneuver?? Nothing! The frame, brakes and chassis are the same with either gas or diesel.
Horsepower is horsepower. It's measured the same way in both engines. The difference is the RPM at which the horsepower is produced. If it takes a steady 150HP (just guessing) to keep your truck and trailer moving down the road either engine will do fine. Where they differ is when the load on the engine starts to increase because of wind, hills etc. As the load increases the diesel will bear the load with less effort because it's maximum HP and torque occur at lower RPM and are closer together in terms of RPM.
One of the modern gas engines (say the Ford 6.2) will easily pull your load, but it will do it at a higher RPM and will use more fuel to do it. Mate it to the 4.3 rear axle and it will tow up to its rated maximum fine. It won't keep up to the 6.7 diesel on the hills, but it will pull well enough. On the flat it will hum right along.
The $10K price difference, way less maintenance costs and fewer worries with fuel quality etc make a gas engine attractive.
We've been spoiled with the performance of the modern diesel pickups, but they're not the only answer for towing.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope, on the contrary. It's a 2015, with around 68,000 km on it. Been deleted since around 12,000. My 11 with H&S was awsome. But this one has the Bullydog, and it's a bit finicky. The latest download is pretty good- but still not as nice as the H&S was.

Thanks for the input guys. Kinda confirmed what I thought ;)

Dump the bully dog and look into a sct or other options. Powerstroke Army has lots of good info.... No Limit diesel can help you out.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having pulled with gas trucks alot before.

I think the thing you will miss more than the diesel power will be the engine braking, makes mountain driving way less stressful.

Another thing to consider is the longevity of the motor. It's about $10k more for a diesel but then you have a reliable 500,000 km motor.

If you can keep and run the truck another two years vs the gas pot you can definitely come out ahead on a diesel.

I have seen some real good deals on holdover 2016 diesels in the last month.

Just my 2C.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Likely way more than that....
It is comparing apples and oranges though ...
Two points to ponder ?
1 : How much do you really need to tow & how often .
2 : Is the extra cost of the diesel warranted as a somewhat daily driver ...

A miled out diesel costs a lot of money in depreciation , a lot of people argue that I will keep the truck for 500k..
( to justify the extra cost )
Do they ever ?
While the modern diesel has a long lasting motor ,
Rear ends / trannies/front ends etc still wear out just as fast as a gas job , if not faster ....

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why are people concerned about stopping with a gas 1ton over a diesel 1ton? Wouldn't all 1tons have the same brakes? If anything a gas might stop a bit better it's a lighter motor. As for pulling it will pull it as long as the truck is rated for the trailer weight.

Top Bottom