WTB - Household well manager/timer/switch

Landrew

Reaction score
Hi,

Moved out to an acreage. (could never live in the city again, yet I resisted moving out of the city for a few years) We have a low yield well and want a timer with the ability to power the well pump every 60-90 minutes or so for 1-3 minutes duration. We are going to be slowly but consistently filling 2 in house 150 gallon tanks, that we can then draw from however we need to and still keep the well happy.

Does anyone know who would sell or make such a timer/switch ? Something with the ability to adjust both variables and perhaps add a float switch over ride.

Thanks

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Moved out to an acreage. (could never live in the city again, yet I resisted moving out of the city for a few years) We have a low yield well and want a timer with the ability to power the well pump every 60-90 minutes or so for 1-3 minutes duration. We are going to be slowly but consistently filling 2 in house 150 gallon tanks, that we can then draw from however we need to and still keep the well happy.

Does anyone know who would sell or make such a timer/switch ? Something with the ability to adjust both variables and perhaps add a float switch over ride.

Thanks

Couldn't you just go with a float in the well? I know folks that install a cistern that the pressure tank would draw off of. Also gives you the ability to truck water in if you need it in a hurry.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Omron and Allen bradly both make timing relays that would suit your needs. All you need is the timer a base and a 6X6 junction box to put it in and you're all set. This is assuming that you already have a pump controller.
cost you about $120 in parts.
easy enough to tie a float switch in at a later date.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks

wth do you need 2 150 gallon water tanks in house for? just askin. lol or is it because of the wells flow rate being so low?

Landrew

Reaction score
Thanks for the info ill take a look at that equipment.

The well is low yield so storing a large volume allows for huge draws
of water whenever we want.

Landrew

Reaction score
Omron and Allen bradly both make timing relays that would suit your needs. All you need is the timer a base and a 6X6 junction box to put it in and you're all set. This is assuming that you already have a pump controller.
cost you about $120 in parts.
easy enough to tie a float switch in at a later date.

Can you explain a bit more the timer and base? Part numbers and explanations? Do you make these yourself or want to ? I'm willing to pay upfront of course. I'm not to well versed on the parts. Sure I can install a turbo on my car and rebuild my bikes, but somedays I forget my kids birthdays.................

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is the timer
basically you can set the time on and time off anywhere from seconds up to about 30 hours on and off settings are completely independant. The base is just the part the relay plugs into where the wires are terminated. I see the contacts are only rated for 5 amps so you would have to use this to run a contactor that would control the pump.
I just remembered seeing a device that I've seen that shuts the pump off when the well runs dry. Its basically a well pump controller that senses when the pump is running under no load and shuts it off for a preset time. The only one I've seen was supplied by the well service guy so you might want to talk to one of them as its sort of an industry specific thing. no labor cost for that one.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are the 2 x 150 gal tanks pressurized? You would need something to prevent the overflowing of those tanks as well.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are the 2 x 150 gal tanks pressurized? You would need something to prevent the overflowing of those tanks as well.

you need to have the pressure tank and pump from the holding tanks. You don't want to start messing with large pressure tanks, gets pricey. the well pump will have to operate off timer and floats unless you want a second pressure tank.

Nothings simple.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
call me monday..i work for a pump supply place..frontier waterworks and pumps..i can hook ya up with someone who has been sizing this kinds stuff for years..780-643-8787

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the output of your well. They make a inline orfice from 1/4 gallon per minute and up. One of these and a hi level switch is the simplest. I have made up what summiter mentioned but you still do not have well dry protection. Pumptec Plus will protect the pump from running dry and auto reset after preset time. You have a few options.

Landrew

Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of communication and delay. Busy as usual. I will be taking up you guys on the information and direct help as well. I just need to get a bit more organized.

Thank You for all the help!

Top Bottom