worth making insurance claim?

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
20150309_094210.jpg

I lost a sidehill due to hard snow:(and the sled slid into a tree. It just lightly hit, but it crushed the bumper, broke the plastic at the front and dented the pipe.

Will it cost enough to warrant an insurance claim? (my deductible is $500)
If not I will buy the parts and work on it myself over the summer, and put a sturdier bumper on too.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I don't think it's bad enough to get insurance involved.... I you broke subframes or modules and front end parts or tunnel damage, would be worth it. Enjoy the time repairing your sled.. Few cases of beer and you'll be good to go ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would probably just repair that myself as well, looks mostly cosmetic. You can probably replace the bumper and pipe with better quality aftermarket ones for much cheaper than OEM ones. Or maybe find a deal on some used OEM ones from someone who upgraded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just throw a new belly pan and bumper on it. Buy yourself a air riveter from the Princess. Been there, done that. The cut in the hood you'll have to live with.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!
I looked at the brp parts catalog and it doesn't look hard to replace at all.
I think I will get the bm fabrications bumper So this won't happen again.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? Do people actually question putting this something like this through insurance....I guess this is why we all have high rates. Maybe handy Andy ain't so handy

It's an honest question, I don't know what the parts would cost so I figured I would ask. It's a new sled so I figured it could be a lot, guess I was wrong.
I'm so sick of douchebags like Chump nitpicking everything people post. Hey Chump if your not going to post something useful, don't at all.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!
I looked at the brp parts catalog and it doesn't look hard to replace at all.
I think I will get the bm fabrications bumper So this won't happen again.

Yeah, repairs like that are just a cost of playing. To me, insurance is basically just write-off coverage. Your rates will probably only take a 15-20% hit for the first claim. ...but wowsers, look out if you ever have to make a second claim!

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do it your self, if the tunnel was touching the track, or you were missing a ski then I would consider it but not for that.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Chump is an alright guy............maybe he was just thinking out loud and the fact that we have no snow is a problem.

By all means, fix that yourself. The hood can even be zip tied if you want. Pretty much from what you describe, it is all cosmetic. When you get the hood off check the air box for cracks. They are only about $150 or use some duct/gorilla tape to re-seal any cracks.

I have never put collision insurance on a toy. What I should have done was put about $400/year into a slush fund for that big one but the beer and rum was nice along the way!

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It kinda sucks having to zip tie a new machine. No idea what hoods are worth but you might want to check into plastic welding or have it plastic welded and keep it as a spare for when the machine's a bit older and you don't care quite as much about appearance.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It kinda sucks having to zip tie a new machine. No idea what hoods are worth but you might want to check into plastic welding or have it plastic welded and keep it as a spare for when the machine's a bit older and you don't care quite as much about appearance.

I have plastic welding equipment so I might try that first.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THEY'RE CHEAPER THAN YOU THINK, AND COME IN A LARGE ASSORTMENT OF COLORS.... HOODS, CONSOLES & PANELS - Ski-Doo_ $144 RETAIL? ABOUT 8 COLORS?

Thanks! The parts are a lot cheaper than I expected, I expected double that.

Will it be okay to run a dented pipe? A new one from brp is $800, no way I would spend that

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Yup... And there are motorbike pipe builders that can take the dent out, without cutting the pipe apart... But won't hurt to run it with a small dent anyway. Might check with npp(neil's performance pipe) on the site here, he would be able to help you out :)

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
I have put the odd claim through insurance before... generally mine are a WEE bit more severe than that. But usually they are pretty understanding... I think mine are getting sick of trashed1.jpg 11 was probably the worst...

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didnt mean to be an ass. Just posting my opinion. Judging by all the likes I think alot of people think the same...

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didnt mean to be an ass. Just posting my opinion. Judging by all the likes I think alot of people think the same...

I would hope that they were just agreeing with it not being worthy of an insurance claim. ...and not agreeing with you making fun of a perfectly legit question.

Top Bottom