They broke into my sled trailer in 5 min or less

summitron

Reaction score
On Monday someone broke into my fenced industrial compound and then proceeded to break into my sled trailer and my cousin's quad trailer. They used a hammer and a chisel, they sheared off the pin on the top latch where the lock goes through. They then could just move the latch and open the handle. It must have taken less than one or two hits on each.

Out of my trailer, They stole a new wrench set, I only paid like $50 bucks for at canadian tire, a dewalt flashlight, a rechargable flourencent flash light, my wife's snowmobile suit( blue Ski-doo brand), and who know's what else, they emptied all my tool boxes, and went through all my packs and storage bins. They moved my dewalt cordless combo set (drill,skil saw, and sawzall) and my new sled pants to the door but did not take them.

Out of my cousin's trailer, as far as we can tell they stole a 4X8 sheet of plastic puck board that he was in the middle of converting into a skid plate for his quad. That's it, he paid $33 bucks for it.

They then closed the trailers up and if My cousin wouldn't have been going to a weekend quad rally we would have never noticed. I'm sure they were planning on coming back for more. They could have never taken my entire trailer it was completely surrounded by heavy equipment, but my cousins trailer was out in the open. The stupid thing is they didn't take enough to make it worth while to pay the deductible on the insurance.

The stupid thing is once it happens to you, you realize there is nothing you can do. If you did catch someone they aren't going to go to jail, there just going to get pissed off and come back. You can't do anything to them or you get charged. The cops just told us to move our trailers, and consider ourselves lucky they didn't take it all the first night.

GRD

Reaction score
Brutal what crooks can get away with!

On Monday someone broke into my fenced industrial compound and then proceeded to break into my sled trailer and my cousin's quad trailer. They used a hammer and a chisel, they sheared off the pin on the top latch where the lock goes through. They then could just move the latch and open the handle. It must have taken less than one or two hits on each.

Out of my trailer, They stole a new wrench set, I only paid like $50 bucks for at canadian tire, a dewalt flashlight, a rechargable flourencent flash light, my wife's snowmobile suit( blue Ski-doo brand), and who know's what else, they emptied all my tool boxes, and went through all my packs and storage bins. They moved my dewalt cordless combo set (drill,skil saw, and sawzall) and my new sled pants to the door but did not take them.

Out of my cousin's trailer, as far as we can tell they stole a 4X8 sheet of plastic puck board that he was in the middle of converting into a skid plate for his quad. That's it, he paid $33 bucks for it.

They then closed the trailers up and if My cousin wouldn't have been going to a weekend quad rally we would have never noticed. I'm sure they were planning on coming back for more. They could have never taken my entire trailer it was completely surrounded by heavy equipment, but my cousins trailer was out in the open. The stupid thing is they didn't take enough to make it worth while to pay the deductible on the insurance.

The stupid thing is once it happens to you, you realize there is nothing you can do. If you did catch someone they aren't going to go to jail, there just going to get pissed off and come back. You can't do anything to them or you get charged. The cops just told us to move our trailers, and consider ourselves lucky they didn't take it all the first night.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ralph Klien said it best......."Shoot Shovel Shutup"

But that may only pertain to mad cow :dunno:

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does one do to protect his stuff ?? I just bought a 3 place enclosed thinking stuff would be safer in there, now I read stuff like this. One can padlock the crap out of everything but they just do more damge breaking in then, costing you even more $$$

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does one do to protect his stuff ?? I just bought a 3 place enclosed thinking stuff would be safer in there, now I read stuff like this. One can padlock the crap out of everything but they just do more damge breaking in then, costing you even more $$$

Hate to say it, but really the only thing you can do is make sure it is covered by insurance and don't make anything too easy to take.

Nytro-Ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just buy a switch hook it up to electricity and whenever someon touches it when the switch is on they get a big jolt of electricity runnin through they're body!

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks to hear. In the last 2 months, both my house and garage have been broken into. They got some tools out of the shop, stole my laptop, PS3, games dvds, hockey cards and my sledding pack with all my avy gear in it. Would love to dish out some justice on the crackheads that are doing this, cause the cops aren't able to do anything meaningful to them cause of the bleeding heart liberal court system.

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your trailer being broken into Summitron. Being a trailer guy I would love to figure out a more secure latch system for my trailers. Were your cam bars Stainless Steel or Zinc? Just curious because I know the S.S. ones are very strong. I accidently left my lock hanging on the cam bar and when I went to close it, it snap the lock like nothing! Not a scratch on the S.S. bar at all! I don't know whether the lock was no good (it was Grade 4or 5 MasterLock) or are the S.S. bars that strong. If anyone has ever tested the difference or has a had a criminal test it for you please let me know.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have my trailer broken into this summer and they stole some work tools, about $1500. They broke open the man door because they can`t get the ends doors open. I put my locks on the inside, welders are great, so they couldn`t get any of the big stuff out. After that break in I put a sliding bar across the man door from the inside so it can`t be force open. You have to open the fuel door and get one hand inside( no room for two hands) and put a key in the lock and open it. Then slide the bar back to open the man door. I don`t how much more I can do to stop idiots from breaking in.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your trailer being broken into Summitron. Being a trailer guy I would love to figure out a more secure latch system for my trailers. Were your cam bars Stainless Steel or Zinc? Just curious because I know the S.S. ones are very strong. I accidently left my lock hanging on the cam bar and when I went to close it, it snap the lock like nothing! Not a scratch on the S.S. bar at all! I don't know whether the lock was no good (it was Grade 4or 5 MasterLock) or are the S.S. bars that strong. If anyone has ever tested the difference or has a had a criminal test it for you please let me know.
Masterlocks from Can Tire are not very good locks.

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can get good locks from canadian tire but they cost $40 a lock, but don't help if they chiesel the pin out.

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea, the locks are not the issue. Ususally the bracket or brace or whatever is holding the lock can be taken off quite easily when you don't care about damage.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told the other day that once they brake into your garage chances are they will hit you again in 3 months because that is usaully the time it takes to replace everything

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told the other day that once they brake into your garage chances are they will hit you again in 3 months because that is usaully the time it takes to replace everything

A nice pitbull in the garage will take care of that problem.....

dieselmech_22

Reaction score
the pitbull will probaly help him carry the stuff out, I have one and he would lead you over to the really good stuff

Attachments

• n735480583_1421155_6893.jpg
    n735480583_1421155_6893.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 131

.08rider

Reaction score
Go to the lock surgeon and get some puck locks, they cover the whole latch assembley so you can't chissel the upper latch off. You can get them for as little as 50 bucks or as high as 120. the ones for 120 have an hss steel tumbler and it would take a week to drill it out. I have used the for years on my sea can at work never been broken into yet, touch wood.

Top Bottom