Wobbly steering on a 06 Brute Force

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is fine at low speeds but once you hit about 40-50 the steering will go crazy. It starts moving back and forth. I'm a pretty big guy 6' 2" 190 pounds and I'm a hockey, basketball, volleyball player and I can barely hold onto it. What could this be caused by? I have tried the tires at different PSI but right now they are at 7.

the quads stats

Dyna jet kit
EPI clutch kit
K&N air filter
VDI chip
Full muzzy exhaust
Radiator remount kit
27" Gators
ITP rims
Snorkel Kit

Byron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had a brute force and did the same thing check the tie rods

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We checked them and they look good but while we were down there we checked to ball joints and they look like they need replaced so we will try that huge thanks

Byron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya when you r just like a a stop and you move ur handle bars do the handle bars move AT ALL with out moving the tires att all?

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Watch the ties rods right where the join on to the steering stems they are notorious for coming loose there

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you check where the ball joints and tie rods go into the holes, maybe just maybe they are now oblong. If you put the tire against a wall so it wont move and have someone get on the machine and wiggle the steering while you are on your hands and knees you should be able to see where the problem stems from. Good luck

putang59

Reaction score
Just had a friend have his weekend riding ruined on the same ride you got. If you grab the front wheel is is loose? Either jack it up or give it a boot. Ours was the upper ball joint sheered off. The sheered piece was still in the rubber boot just holding on by the boot so it was kindof hard to figure out. Any sudden jar or continued riding and the tire would of pointed sidways and fliperoo. We were unable to pick another one up because nobody stocked them so his job was to drink most of the beer at the campsite. Tough lesson to learn but I now know what I will be packing on my next trip. More Beer when a Kawi is on the trailer!!!!!:d

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also check the bracket at the top of your steering stem near the pod. Mine was worn pretty bad and I had alot of movement in the steering shaft. Tie rods are the most likely culprit but once they are eliminated it could be the upper a-arm bushings are shot or any other ideas these guys mentioned.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check to make sure the bolts holding the a-arms to the frame are tight. On my '07 the bolts on the right side came loose and I experienced the same thing as you. After that all the bolts on the a-arms front and back got a shot of blue lock tight.

Bandit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the CV joints out on the front axles, if they are screwed it will do that.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you do a search on the net, there is a bushing kit for the BF, the stock stuff is crap.

The bushings did need replaced but that wasn't the problem. The wobble was caused by about 2 liters of mud in the inside of the tire. That's why you always run your tires at high PSI. :eek:

Top Bottom