Wobbly Dodge....

BruteCamo

Reaction score
So as it reads I have an 07 dodge 3500 that wanders all over the road. Almost feels like the front end is floating. White knuckle with the fiver in tow.
Have upgraded to the new steering linkage, and changed every other component. Recently replaced the steering box with new upgraded version from dodge.
Even tried running different tires
I've had the truck into two different reputable shops to review and check alignment. Neither can find anything out of ordinary.
It does have a bit of a "clunk" when imitating a turn?? Not sure what's causing it but just started with replacement of linkage parts. Spent days reading a bazillion different threads, still can't pin down the issue.
Anybody have any suggestions or possibly recommendations for a dodge steering guru?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you've checked everything is tight with no play. Have you checked the track bar? This will cause this, particularly if you hear a clunk. I'm also assuming the pitman arm is tight on the steering box shaft?

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So as it reads I have an 07 dodge 3500 that wanders all over the road. Almost feels like the front end is floating. White knuckle with the fiver in tow.
Have upgraded to the new steering linkage, and changed every other component. Recently replaced the steering box with new upgraded version from dodge.
I've had the truck into two different reputable shops to review and check alignment. Neither can find anything out of ordinary.
It does have a bit of a "clunk" when imitating a turn?? Not sure what's causing it but just started with replacement of linkage parts. Spent days reading a bazillion different threads, still can't pin down the issue.
Anybody have any suggestions or possibly recommendations for a dodge steering guru?
Thanks

May be that your looking at the wrong end. You say that it's white knuckle with the fiver in tow. Could it be that your fifth wheel hitch is mounted too far back? Post up some pics with your rig and trailer connected.

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Experienced what the call, the Dodge death wobble, at 110 k, down hill, no fun.......was told by dealer it was a leaking steering damper, (looks like a shock hooked on to the steering arm ), did get it replaced as I did the "steering upgrade" as well, havent had an issue since

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also check the rear end. Make sure everything there is tight. Maybe add some caster to see if it improves.

BruteCamo

Reaction score
Replaced the track bar with an adjustable one to ensure diff stayed in line with levelling kit installed. The track bar mounting holes were actually ovalled out, so I welded plates on either side to get it tight again. Pitman arm is confirmed tight. The wander is there empty or loaded. Have played around with different air pressures in air bags to ensure weight transfer is correct. No difference.
The problem only started with the addition of all these upgraded parts to solve the chitty dodge front end. Kinda wish i had the old worn parts to put back in......my wallet can't take much more!
Truck only has 125k on it

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
May be that your looking at the wrong end. You say that it's white knuckle with the fiver in tow. Could it be that your fifth wheel hitch is mounted too far back? Post up some pics with your rig and trailer connected.

That is exactly what I was going to ask. I recently tried adjusting my fifth wheel hitch. I tried moving it back three inches. Moving the pin weight back just three inches took weight off the front end and it had a slightly vague feeling while going down the road...it was like it was understeering a bit. It definatly affected the way my truck tows. I put it back to the front position and it tows a lot better.

Just something you might be able to try depending on your setup.

Good luck figuring it out! Hope you have a safe summer!

Last edited:

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 that I had the front end replaced and same thing ... it had no wonder till after the new front end .... I have heard the bd diesel stabilizer makes a huge difference

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You didn't mention the fact that this started after the levelling kit. I am betting your caster is off. Yes a stabilizer will help but is only a bandaid. I believe and truck should be able to drive nice down the road without one. If it cannot then you need to fix that issue first, then you can look at a stabilizer. You can adjust the caster on your own, if it has the same setup as my 10 did. It will only take a couple minutes.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Tighten your steering box, the bearings need a slight amount of preload on them. Not too much, not too little. Too much will wear out the box, and too little causes a dead spot in the steering wheel where the play is in the bearings. I do this when i take the steering box off. Take an allen key wrench and put it in the adjusting bolt, then loosen the jam nut with a wrench. One loosened take a crescent wrench and turn the steering shaft and tighten the adjusting bolt(screw it in) until you feel resistance on the steering shaft, and then go in another 1/3 or 1/4 turn. Tighten the jam nut.

You may be able to tighten the adjusting bolt while the steering box is still on the truck, but you will never know when it's set right, just tighten it a little at a time and see if it helps.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nephew just did went through this on his Dodge, did everything you did and more. One of the problems was big wide tires mounted on stock width rims, new rims to properly fit the monster truck wannabe tires and it drives normal again.

BruteCamo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions....
Trucks had the levelling kit since day one, the wander showed up when front end was redone. Upgraded the steering stabilzer to a bilstein shock, figured this would be more than adequate running 285 rubber??
Upgraded to the new upgraded dodge steering box, cruising down the hiway I can move the wheel from 11-1 back and forth with no movement at wheels??
Haven't experienced the dreaded Death wobble, the wander is bad enough....
Had a second alignment done with some castor added.
Maybe I'll chuck some new shocks in and try another stabilizer or dual setup
Runnin outta ideas and cash!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Trucks had the levelling kit since day one, the wander showed up when front end was redone. Upgraded the steering stabilzer to a bilstein shock, figured this would be more than adequate running 285 rubber??
Upgraded to the new upgraded dodge steering box, cruising down the hiway I can move the wheel from 11-1 back and forth with no movement at wheels??

Take to Summitric's shop

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There's definitely an issue with a wore out part, a steering stabilizer will not correct this, is the steering box a reman or new? Personally I would have someone turn the wheel quickly back and forth while I was under the vehicle and look and feel for movement in every joint, starting with the steering shaft and working to the tires, it has to be somewhere, randomly throwing parts at the problem won't solve it.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
There's definitely an issue with a wore out part, a steering stabilizer will not correct this, is the steering box a reman or new? Personally I would have someone turn the wheel quickly back and forth while I was under the vehicle and look and feel for movement in every joint, starting with the steering shaft and working to the tires, it has to be somewhere, randomly throwing parts at the problem won't solve it.
Re-manufactured boxes don't come set up with preload and tensions from the shop. You have to set the pre load when you get them.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got to be a loose box, steering input shaft, or loose output steering parts

11-1 is way too much slop

Does it have less slop with engine off

U could mabe set the box tighter, but never had any good luck doing that, seems once it's been out and loose it's fawked

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You finally gave the correct details. Next time mention everything that has been done!!! As mentioned have someone turn the wheel back and forth to check for anything loose. If nothing is loose it is in the box.

Top Bottom