Wobbly Dodge....

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Incorrect wheel alignment(especially caster) will affect direct driveability as well..... If not enough caster, will wander as well.....especially if you have a front end lift installed -- stock alignment specs will cause wandering.............. And like above comments, loose steering box is probably the culprit

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am on my 3rd HD dodge, 2001, 2004 and now 2010. They all wander a little more than I like but I found that a little lower pressure in the front tires really helps especially if you have gone bigger or wider than stock. The pressure really has a sweet spot too, too low and steering is heavy and hurts fuel economy, too high and it wanders too much. try 3-5 lbs below recommended for stock tires and at least 10 lbs lower for bigger tires. Keep in mind the recommended pressures are for full load, you might have less than unloaded weight on your front tires due to your trailer.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to interior off road and talk to Daryl he will hook u up with a dual stabilizer kit that will fix the death wobble

i don't believe adding extra stabilizers will do anything other than "band-aid' the issue. have you gotta ball-joints the offset? i had the similar problem with my 2006 2500 until i replaced the ball joints with cali ball joints upper and lower, after then it was a great driving truck. also are you running a steering brace?

I will mention that prior to doing this i rebuilt every steering part with no success.

Last edited:

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at the carli ball joints for my dodge. Are they really that good and make that much difference ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree with rick a alignment with more caster will help,if you have a remanufactored steering box it should be adjusted and ready for install,if purchased at hydra steer they are dyno tested and set ,if you set it yourself and tighten it up it will not return out of corners properly and pre-maturely wear,also will void warranty

BruteCamo

Reaction score
Well, dropped the truck off with Rick yesterday for review. Found some play in the newly replaced steering linkage and replaced again. Tweaked the alignment to add more castor as many have mentioned.
Short drive home last night was the best she's handled in a long time......hiway run with the fiver this weekend will be the test!
Impressed with the follow up call from Rick today to see how the truck was driving now! Thanks Sherwood Park Service
Hopefully all resolved, thanks all!

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, dropped the truck off with Rick yesterday for review. Found some play in the newly replaced steering linkage and replaced again. Tweaked the alignment to add more castor as many have mentioned.
Short drive home last night was the best she's handled in a long time......hiway run with the fiver this weekend will be the test!
Impressed with the follow up call from Rick today to see how the truck was driving now! Thanks Sherwood Park Service
Hopefully all resolved, thanks all!

You'll find Rick knows his chit!

Also one of the truest / most honest guys out there, hands down the best.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tighten your steering box, the bearings need a slight amount of preload on them. Not too much, not too little. Too much will wear out the box, and too little causes a dead spot in the steering wheel where the play is in the bearings. I do this when i take the steering box off. Take an allen key wrench and put it in the adjusting bolt, then loosen the jam nut with a wrench. One loosened take a crescent wrench and turn the steering shaft and tighten the adjusting bolt(screw it in) until you feel resistance on the steering shaft, and then go in another 1/3 or 1/4 turn. Tighten the jam nut.

You may be able to tighten the adjusting bolt while the steering box is still on the truck, but you will never know when it's set right, just tighten it a little at a time and see if it helps.

Did this with my 97 half ton 2by....man it made a HUGE difference. There was a whole lotta slack...LOL Truck used to wander all over the road...and loaded with the camper and quad trailer....yup that was not too much fun! yeeesh

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm still blown away that u have 125 k and haven't done BJ'S yet? I just tore mine out at 97km and they were toast!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock wheels, 235/85r16's, dually.

My dually went along time too. Narrow tires helps I think

There's 35's with low tire pressure eats up the BJ'S I would think

Have to find a set of Carlis tomorrow .. I guess.

Top Bottom