Winter rated all seasons

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
After the first snow fall with all the ice.. I'm not that impressed with my studded toyo ct.. they were decent on snow but not that great on ice. And I even have weight in my truck box.. but take that with a grain of salt cause I run hakkapeliitta 8 on my car and suv.. and those tires are the best winter tires you can buy.. I think if you want a good tire for ice and snow your better off bitting the bullet and buying a set of dedicated winter tires . I know that's what I'm going to do.. going to sell my toyo ct.. going to switch to a nokian lt2 for winter and run a M/T tire In the summer...

Well, that's NOT what I wanted to read. :(

They GOTTA be better than the Michelin LTX's that are on there now tho.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep that is my plan for the summer when my all terrain tires wear out now. Get a set of good mud tires.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why more people don't just buy some crap steel wheels and run a dedicated winter. As good as say a dueler is, it isn't as good as a pure winter tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I have two sets of rims for each vehicle, that way it's an easy swap in my garage when needed, rather than scrambling after the first snow fall with the rest of the lemmings

I don't understand why more people don't just buy some crap steel wheels and run a dedicated winter. As good as say a dueler is, it isn't as good as a pure winter tire.

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can find affordable alloy rims that look alot better than the steelies. I bought some nice rims for my summer tires and use the stock rims for winter tires. Maybe check out these?

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DRD I wish! Everywhere in Saskatchewan wants $250 for USED takeoff dually steel wheels (17" 8x165 bolt). And sadly Costco doesn't offer a steel or alloy for that size dually.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Well, I put my studded Toyo C/T's on today, and I thought they worked great. Not great accelerate traction, but an empty 3500 srw in 2wd, I wouldn't expect anything. Worked great for slowing, stopping, and steering, which is what I'm mostly concerned with. When I need to accelerate, I'll put er in 4wd.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I assume you meant quiet. Nope. They're not. But they're not loud either. Certainly not unbearable. Mine are studded too, which I'm sure doesn't help. Turned the radio up 2 clicks, and didn't even notice them.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thx . Studs don't help with the noise , for sure.
More looking to put on 1/2 for summer as run Blizzak's for winter.
Don't want a loud tire on a quiet truck.
Run Duratracs on HD 3500 and they are a bit loud.

Last edited:

b_doornenbal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was on a couple icy highways again with my CT's travelling to work today, they worked great. I was actually planning on having these as my winter tire, trying to find anything in a 34-35 inch winter tire in an 18 inch rim that's 10 ply and can take studs is next to impossible ..... The fact that they have the mountain snow flake on the tire means they should be better than your standard AT tire.

I drive about 70,000 km per year, over half of that is in the winter and I also drive to the mountains pulling a 28 ft enclosed about 10 trips per year.

Everyone has different luck with tires. I will be running the new toyo RT this summer on my trucks, switching from Hankook MT's. looking at these tires with the warranty they have they should work well.

Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Thx . Studs don't help with the noise , for sure.
More looking to put on 1/2 for summer as run Blizzak's for winter.
Don't want a loud tire on a quiet truck.
Run Duratracs on HD 3500 and they are a bit loud.

I run Open Country AT2 Extreme's in the summer, and LOVE them. No noise at all. Seem to wear good (even pulling a 15,000lb fifth wheel), have Fantastic load ratings, and best of all, they look good.

In in the past, I've run BFG A/T's and Nitto Terra Grappler A/T's. Not a fan of the BFG. They don't look as good to me, and they can be a bitch to balance. And, although the Nitto's are very similar to the Toyo's, I MUCH preferred the Toyo. I try to buy a set in the spring with wheels and sell in the fall every year, so I probably am not the best to ask about longevity, but in the 10-15k that I put on them during that time, and most of those km with the heavy 5er, they're great. They're definitely my choice of summer tire.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeh I have tried a pile of different tires over the years .
AT Terra grappler sucked IMO
Toyo open country before the AT2 was a nice tire but couldn't get any milage out of them.
Toyo MT good tire but heavy and loud. Good for gravel and off road.
BFG AT was good winter tire but not for any gravel use .
BFG MT good ride and summer tire if off road but noise.
Best I have had all around have been the Good year duratrac .
Thing I will try the toyo ct or AT2 for 1/2 ton this summer .

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Duratracs are a great tire, and got great mileage out of them 80k. Just put on some competitor Muteki trail hogs, to early to compare.

77Crash77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always run duratracs. I pull pretty much constantly so only seeing about 40k out of them. Which is actually pretty good. Stockers were done in 20k. No way would I ever run a full out winter tire as they are too soft and would disappear if you pull any weight.

Top Bottom