winch problem

jessie

Reaction score
On my wifes 2008 polaris 500 sportsman quad i,m trying to get the winch working I have power from the battery and winch switch to the relay box but the yellow and blue wire have no power going to them can that relay burn out never used the winch on the quad until quad ralley it was hooped any info would be great thanks.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my wifes 2008 polaris 500 sportsman quad i,m trying to get the winch working I have power from the battery and winch switch to the relay box but the yellow and blue wire have no power going to them can that relay burn out never used the winch on the quad until quad ralley it was hooped any info would be great thanks.

check and make sure the winch power is not switched through the lights. I know that we hook up our atvs so you dont have power to the winch until the lights are on low beam. this prevents issues like warn had in the past with their selonoids.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you try to use the winch does it just make a clicking sound? if so that sounds like the solenoid is bad. pretty common problem. I got one left in stock.

steven2120

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you try to use the winch does it just make a clicking sound? if so that sounds like the solenoid is bad. pretty common problem. I got one left in stock.

Thats exactly what my winch is doing, where is the best place to buy a new solenoid from? I have an 07 Can Am 500

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Do remember before you start buying parts to check your winch. They get packed full of dirt and need to be dissassembled and cleaned regularily. See if it will "freespool". Mine often made the same clicking sound and it turned out that it just needed a good cleaning. :beer:

steven2120

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do remember before you start buying parts to check your winch. They get packed full of dirt and need to be dissassembled and cleaned regularily. See if it will "freespool". Mine often made the same clicking sound and it turned out that it just needed a good cleaning. :beer:

Thanks i will look into that first..

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your solenoid as well and see if it will come apart. Most of them are just like a set of old points and they will get water in the case. Clean them upo and your problem may be solved, w/o spending $150.???

iamcanadian

Reaction score
Warn winches have some recalls on the selenoid. I broke mine while taking it apart, went to the Warn website and sent them an email... they sent me a new selenoid free of charge and no questions asked. It's worth looking into. I fixed the damaged one and now have a spare!

Top Bottom