Wife/Kid Sled

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a sled that my wife (raw rookie) and my son (9 yrs, also rookie rider) can ride. Not sure what would be the best, but want to get something that will handle some more than average deep snow (if we ever get any around here again) so they aren't stuck all the time.

Don't want to spend any more than around 6k. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a stock rmk vert,or a rev,if ya want floatation then get at least 1 151 track little bit harder turning but floats pretty good,i dont know what artic cat would have in that price range

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fargin:

Try to find a 550 Summit. You can get them for what you are lookng to spend. It will do for both your wife and child, but they are hard to find. Lightweight and no cooling issue (fan cooled)

I am in Ardrossan too. Shoot me a pm if you want to try them out on one. I have a 550 Freestyle that my daughter (11 yrs) rides. They can see how it is for size for your 9 year old.

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go for anything in a 600 with a 144 track, for around here 144 is long enough, and easier to turn. The 600 would be a good size and a 9 year old would have many years of fun on this machine. For around here I ride my 670 136 track and it (in my opinion) is ideal.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with jay007, any 600 with 136 to 151 would be awsome.Most 600s now are about 110 to 120 hp. I rode a 99 600RMK 151 for 7 years. Most reliable,consistent engine and clutch I ever owned.:d

dooski

Reaction score
for the 9 year old i would buy him 500 fan cooled and for the wife nothing less than a 700. I find that if you buy something to small you'll find yourself pulling her up the hills or limiting yourself where you want to go. My wife rides a2003 800 summit with a 162x16 track and she loves it.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got my wife on a 96 Phazer II ST w/136 1.5 paddle track. My 8yr old duaghter is on a 120 although it will likely be her last year. I'm going to have to turn it up for here this year.

A 550 fan cool with a 144 should be a safe bet for both. I think unless your son or wife have a lot of dirt bike or quad experience a 600 (120hp) might be too much for them.

Even if they are only on it for a season or two your unlikely to loose a bunch on depreciation.

Shawn.

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welllets put it this way..........
How long do you plan on keeping the sled for??
Youo said for around "here" Ardrossen, do you plan on taking them to the mountains at all??

I think buying the wife an 800 162 for a first sled is toomuch, especially if you are not going to be taking her to the mountains. No reason for them to be riding a 162 anywhere but the steep and deep.

If you are stayin around Ardrossen, and will be trading up in a couple of years I would go with the 550 fan, planty for the kid and the wife will have an easier time learning.

There is a lot of things to consider, how long you will have it, staying around Edmonton, going to the mountains a little or alot, even will you be buying another machine in the next couple years so they don't have to share??

WRK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no one suggests a yamaha phazer, eletric start, easy to ride, nice and cheap. wont be overpowering. reliable.

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought my 9 year old a brand new F-5 LXR last Feb for 6500 brand new.Awsome little sled and not to much power for him.This year it's getting a 136" 2" track 8 tooth drivers and a stinger.Should last him a few years.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fargin:

Try to find a 550 Summit. You can get them for what you are lookng to spend. It will do for both your wife and child, but they are hard to find. Lightweight and no cooling issue (fan cooled)

I am in Ardrossan too. Shoot me a pm if you want to try them out on one. I have a 550 Freestyle that my daughter (11 yrs) rides. They can see how it is for size for your 9 year old.
Thanks, may take you up on that when we get some snow.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with the 550 fan Summit. You willl have enough power for the beginner and the sled will be lighter than a liquid cool so it would be easier to handle.

Billy Boy:cool:

IFSM8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my girlfriend a 08 phazer MTX for about 8200 and it is the best thing for her it is small enough for her to handle. It is easy to maintain (I.E check oil and put gas in it) and it will take me to the top of hill climb hill in allen creek so I know it has enough Jam for a few Years. You could probably pick a used one up for about 6K or new is only 8.5K

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my girlfriend a 08 phazer MTX for about 8200 and it is the best thing for her it is small enough for her to handle. It is easy to maintain (I.E check oil and put gas in it) and it will take me to the top of hill climb hill in allen creek so I know it has enough Jam for a few Years. You could probably pick a used one up for about 6K or new is only 8.5K

The only problem on those MTX's is picking one up when they are dumped! The have a higher center of gravity than a REV chassis - and are about 130lbs heavier than a 550 Fan. I had one last year and loved the thing - but my daughter didn't like it (preferred her 550 Freestyle) and my wife preferred the 800 Rev. Guess what I rode when she came along.:rolleyes:

G

Guest1

I'm thinking about getting a sled that my wife (raw rookie) and my son (9 yrs, also rookie rider) can ride. Not sure what would be the best, but want to get something that will handle some more than average deep snow (if we ever get any around here again) so they aren't stuck all the time. Don't want to spend any more than around 6k. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Not sure if you have bought yet or not..2005 600 Polaris Switchback x 144 with many extra's in the classified section...PERFECT sled for your Mrs and child....:d

OVER!!!

ps...We will meet 1/2 way for delivery or can bring it all the way if you require.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you have bought yet or not..2005 600 Polaris Switchback x 144 with many extra's in the classified section...PERFECT sled for your Mrs and child....:d

OVER!!!

ps...We will meet 1/2 way for delivery or can bring it all the way if you require.

Fabster...sled pimp....

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

OVER!!!

I thought that post was closed so I thought the machine was sold.

Top Bottom