Which sled for newbie girlfriend

mikey1

Reaction score
Looking for a sled for the girlfriend who is new to sledding. She rode a M6 last year which she liked but they are hard too find. She is requesting to have reverse and electric start. Am looking at the Phazer MTX with the 144" track. was told they are not great in the mountains due to the 13" wide track. Anyone have feed back on the Phazer. don`t want to get her the wrong sled and then she ends up hating sledding. the more she likes to sled the more i get to sled!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will end up hating the Phazer when she is not having a good time.

It is still early, hold out for a M6, or a 600 etec 146, how about a 600 RMK. Good sled. I saw a 08 RMK 600 144 recently listed for like $4000.

Don't be affraid of throwing her on a sled with a longer track either.

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are planning on riding in the mountains I wouldn't get a phazer. If your looking for done thing light with decent power and good capability I would go for a rmk 600

Last edited:

Stickyfingers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my girlfreind on an 09 phazer 144 mtx and she just couldnt get a feel for it no power and awkward handling. If your putting a newbie into the sport and want her to excell and enjoy it i would highly recommend if in the budget not wasting anytime with any 600s or 700s just get her on a decent used 800 and do not go with a short track if you are taking her to the mountains. honestly the shortest track i would say is a 151 and in a year or two with practice and confidence she should be kicking some of yours buddies @$$&$ which is awesome. my girlfreind rides my old rev 800 and there is no better feeling when your lady outclimbs and outrides your freinds. if its in the budget go for it!

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
Sounds like you are going to the mountains with her, don't skimp on track. I have found that having enough track under a beginner really helps their confidence. They need to be able to feather the throttle and have the sled come up on the snow instead of digging a hole. Horsepower is also pretty important, but I would rate it second to the track. If you have the budget, definitely go for a 163x2.5 type track with an 800 under the hood.

Jemeda11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friends wife went with a 600 144" once to the mountains she had a great time then she came home and bought a 800 154" and loves it. she will never look back.

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife has a Crossfire 600 with a 142ish....she loves it for around here and the mountains

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't buy a Phazer, they are brutal in the deep powder. I've rode with a few and they restricted us all day long and dictated where we could ride. They just don't have the track or the power of a 600 liquid long track. And I think they suck on the trail too. They're sketchy and with a high center of gravity.

If you put her on a 600 long track, I'd say a Polaris or a Doo would work nicely. I found the M6 power was lacking compared to these two. But ideally, a long track 800 would be even better as she would be working less to keep up. You didn't say what your budget is but if you're looking for a cheaper, used sled, I'd vote an M chassis 800. Fairly cheap, great power, and very predictable. If you're looking new, get her a RMK ProRide. Nice and light and predictable which will build her confidence.

Last edited:

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my wife rides a 2007 800 Renegade with 144" X 2" she always says she'd like a little more track, not for climbing but for control when coming downhill.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy has a 800 rev 136" for sale for pretty cheap here on fort mcmurray. And I know it's been well taken care of. If that's not long enough then I also have a buddy selling a 151" conversion.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I threw the wife on a Polaris 600 144 and she wanted to go to more track so now shes riding a 06 Arctic cat m7 and loves it! Both are great sleds. Pretty much any sled brand except yamaha has a 600 that would be good for her to ride. Its all going to come down to if shes gonna be a stand up or a sit down rider so that will determine which is the most comfortable!

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got my 15 year old daughter on a 2004 RMK 600 with 144" track. She is very new to the sport and is right on my tail where ever we go. It has reverse and electric start. She loves it!........ so do I.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definately don't go with a phazer it has a 14x144 they work ok but are under powered and you have to ride it , as for a 600 class sled yamaha's would be the nytro which in reality is more than the average 600. Let her ride a few different ones if you can, then let her decide which she likes best. If she is happy then you will get to ride more.

nads

Reaction score
Why on earth would you even conceive of getting her a 600cc sled? They're more or less the SAME weight as an 800cc with LESS power. It'll be HARDER to handle and control, not to mention if you ever want to use her sled to tow yours out... good luck.

Get her a decent sled. What do you ride? Get something comparable. Every girl I know who had their bf get them something shittier/lower quality/less power/performance than what their bf's ride eventually resents their bf for it the moment they jump on their boyfriends sled.

She'll be asking to ride yours, or asking you for a real sled sooner than later.

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely want electric start otherwise you will be pulling two over all day. 800, 150'ish track, just no mods.

Last edited:
Top Bottom