Which octane to use?

Bulldog Racing

Reaction score
Just a comment from personal experience. If you see your sled on the end of the sky hook, you'll soon realize that the race fuel you should have had in the tank looks pretty inexpensive really quickly.............:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

1badhusky

Reaction score
Just a comment from personal experience. If you see your sled on the end of the sky hook, you'll soon realize that the race fuel you should have had in the tank looks pretty inexpensive really quickly.............:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ummm...I should be running race fuel now? The owners manual says 87 and I've just got an intake, ypipe and can on it.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no. It's just an intake and exhaust. You'll just have to add move fuel to make it richer (power commander like you stated)

A good example is, how many gas trucks with intakes and exhausts are running race fuel? None. Not until your putting high compression pistons or different domes or shaved head or a turbo should you have to run higher octane.

If you want peace of mind you could just mix it like 15L premium to 5L race fuel.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your motor is designed for 87 octane fuel than any thing over that is a waste of money and can actually be bad. At higher altitudes it will even start to run poorly. If it makes you feel better then run 91. anything over that is a bad idea.

Bulldog Racing

Reaction score
Not trying to ruffle feathers here guys, just my honest opinion. I had similar "MODS" to my last sled, and went with the cheap stuff 87 because that's what the book says. In my gut I was thinking I should have better, but was told different. Well when the engine seized due to a broken ring, because the piston started to come apart, I paid dearly to the helicopter to get my sled home. When doing the rebuild and talking to some pretty experienced guys, they started asking questions that pretty much explained what happened. If I would of had race fuel or "higher octane" it may not of detonated, ruining the engine and the weekend. I know they say 87 octane, but since that day I mix 3/4 premium with 1/4 C12. Haven't had a problem since. Just my instinct now, if I "think" I might need it , I run it. Good luck with whatever you run, and hope it works awesome, just don't like seeing guys have trouble that can be avoided.:d

1badhusky

Reaction score
Thanks - so I'm thinking 91 would be the safest bet. What octane is race gas? Why would you need to go to race gas - couldn't you just go w/ 93 if you needed more octane?

This isn't a money thing - I'll run whatever the best fuel is what's an extra $10 or $20 compared to a blown sled or getting stranded out there - just trying to figure out what that right octane level is - never thought it'd be this complex!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not complex. The manual says 87 octane "stock". With only bolt ons and no timing added you'll be fine on 91. Start doing engine mods and that will change though.:)

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Bull Dog Racing has a good point about mixing in racing gas. If I have 15 litres of reg how much racing would you need to bring it up to premium level ? Thanks

I used to have a link to an online calculator for this, but I don't remember which computer it was on. Try googling it, it's out there somewhere.:)

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Many good points on here "octane" prevents deto with a slow colder burn, at a certain point you are just waisting your money, and on a stock sled 87 would be fine MOST of the time. Here is the problem with mountain sleds on a day where your holding it to the bar for large amounts of the day in three feet of snow your engine gets heat soaked, and in turn promotes deto on cheaper fuel. Take that for what its worth but its usually why mountain guys go safe on octane by a couple points. Race fuel sucks but is necessary with high CRs or boost. So IMO on your stock cat if it calls for 87 and you run 91 in the hills your not dumb as your shouldn't see your machine on the sky hook for detonation anyways!

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks - so I'm thinking 91 would be the safest bet. What octane is race gas? Why would you need to go to race gas - couldn't you just go w/ 93 if you needed more octane?

This isn't a money thing - I'll run whatever the best fuel is what's an extra $10 or $20 compared to a blown sled or getting stranded out there - just trying to figure out what that right octane level is - never thought it'd be this complex!

race gas come with plenty of octane numbers from 93-120. but they dont design race fuel around octane. theres burn rates, energy value and cooling effects that they focus on. VP has over 50 blends of fuel as far as i know.

Top Bottom