Residential Roofing

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
We are having our House and Garage re-roofed this year. Approximately 3000 sq/ft of roof and we want to use the Malarkey Legacy SBS Modified Laminate shingles.

I've received a couple of quotes which seem quite reasonable and the companies seem to have good customer reviews.

Anyone in the GBCA, Spruce, Stony area have recommendations or "don't fawking use these guys" type advice?

I've done roofs before and could do this one but I don't want too, I'd rather go to work and pay a professional to do their job while I do mine. Besides my upper roof is over 35' off the ground and I have no desire to work up there.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our neighbor had their roof done last summer by a small outfit. OH&S drove by and saw no harnesses and shut them down till they met the compliance orders that were issued. Over a week with half the roof torn off.
Might be worthwhile to check their safety record as well. I’m sure you are well aware of that.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Our neighbor had their roof done last summer by a small outfit. OH&S drove by and saw no harnesses and shut them down till they met the compliance orders that were issued. Over a week with half the roof torn off.
Might be worthwhile to check their safety record as well. I’m sure you are well aware of that.

Yah I have permanent anchors on my roof so tying off shouldn't be an issue. Not much chance of getting an OHS visit out here in the boonies but I wouldn't want to see someone fall from that roof..... it's a long way down. The quotes we have so far have shown proof of WCB, General liability and Auto.

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
Yah I have permanent anchors on my roof so tying off shouldn't be an issue. Not much chance of getting an OHS visit out here in the boonies but I wouldn't want to see someone fall from that roof..... it's a long way down. The quotes we have so far have shown proof of WCB, General liability and Auto.

Hey Bogger we use Marshall roofing give them a shout ask for Jodi tell them I sent you

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have good friends in West end Edmonton, looking to reroof their house.

Do you mind if I send them some of these referrals?

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on euroshield rubber shingles? We went with them cause 50 year rating longer then steel, I’ll be dead when it’s worn out. Cost was 3 times that of good quality shingles

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Any thoughts on euroshield rubber shingles? We went with them cause 50 year rating longer then steel, I’ll be dead when it’s worn out. Cost was 3 times that of good quality shingles

I've looked into;

Metal roofing - $40K+ supposed to last forever but the fasteners are supposed to be replaced every 5 years.

Euroshield - $40K+ Likely a good option but I'm not sure the cost is justifiable given the longevity of some newer shingle lines.

Standard Shingles - $14K - likely only get 15-17 years out of them, my house is 16 years old and needs to be done this year

Malarkey Legend SBS - $16K - Told by multiple installers I should expect 25-30 years https://malarkeyroofing.com/product_detail/legacy

I have a couple of decent quotes and we've decided on the materials, my only concern now is quality of workmanship. We think we may have decided on our installer but we are waiting to hear back on some details but I'm not against getting an additional quote based on recommendations.

I will look into the ones mentioned above...

Thanks

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I've looked into;

Metal roofing - $40K+ supposed to last forever but the fasteners are supposed to be replaced every 5 years.

Euroshield - $40K+ Likely a good option but I'm not sure the cost is justifiable given the longevity of some newer shingle lines.

Standard Shingles - $14K - likely only get 15-17 years out of them, my house is 16 years old and needs to be done this year

Malarkey Legend SBS - $16K - Told by multiple installers I should expect 25-30 years https://malarkeyroofing.com/product_detail/legacy

I have a couple of decent quotes and we've decided on the materials, my only concern now is quality of workmanship. We think we may have decided on our installer but we are waiting to hear back on some details but I'm not against getting an additional quote based on recommendations.

I will look into the ones mentioned above...

Thanks

there's got to be enough GBCA people that would work for beer....... not sure on the workmanship of that crew though.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
there's got to be enough GBCA people that would work for beer....... not sure on the workmanship of that crew though.

I thought about doing it myself, I've done a few roof's in the past. Brother In-law Terry says "fawk it, we can getter done and save you $10K"

Doing it myself would likely only save about $8k and there is a lot of roof there +- 3000 sq/ft, the height of this roof scares me too, We are about 35' from the ground in most places.

I figure for $16K - ish I'll get it done right with full warranty and not have to think about it again until I'm 70.....

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought about doing it myself, I've done a few roof's in the past. Brother In-law Terry says "fawk it, we can getter done and save you $10K"

Doing it myself would likely only save about $8k and there is a lot of roof there +- 3000 sq/ft, the height of this roof scares me too, We are about 35' from the ground in most places.

I figure for $16K - ish I'll get it done right with full warranty and not have to think about it again until I'm 70.....

I would not want to be standing at the peak of your roof over the "yard" nope.... no way...... not at all......

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
As I used to be a general contractor and have dealt with both Marshall and Phoenix they both offer good products and have some good subtrades. I know when we were doing major hail claims I had some issues as well, not pointing any fingers at these guys either. With additional workloads brings in more questionable crews. I had my roof completed in late September by Phoenix the crew was two older guys that have been doing roofing forever. They were very clean and efficient. I got lucky with the crew I had. But there can be nightmares too, even the good roofers have some bad apples or a job gone sideways and one bad review on your google or bbb scares away a lot of customers. Stick with a company that has been around as well as roofers come and go. I was an insurance restoration contractor since 1987 and Now a indoor environmental consultant for 12 years now, I am a red seal journamen carpenter and certified indoor environmental consultant. Seen a lot of roofs gone bad. I wouldn’t hesitate to use either roofer in my post. Good luck Ian, if you need any advise call or pm me.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I think we may move forward with Jensen Roofing.

Good references, over 40 years in business, second generation family business and a great product at a decent price.....

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Jensen Roofing is good as well, good choice. Did they give you price for replacing any roof deck? Are you running ice and water shield on bottom 3’ and on valleys and penetrations. I ran deck armour on entire roof with ice and water at bottoms, hips, valleys, penetrations. I think this extends the warranty of the roofing product as well. Also is the warranty transferrable.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Jensen Roofing is good as well, good choice. Did they give you price for replacing any roof deck? Are you running ice and water shield on bottom 3’ and on valleys and penetrations. I ran deck armour on entire roof with ice and water at bottoms, hips, valleys, penetrations. I think this extends the warranty of the roofing product as well. Also is the warranty transferrable.

It's good to know that you have knowledge of them and think they are good, there are so many small fly-by-night operations and even larger ones who subcontract in piecework. this can easily result in quality issues.
Arlene felt Tyler was very personable, knowledgeable and answered all her questions.
Any damaged structure will be replaced (up to $500 automatic and with consult beyond that threshold) but he says it all looks good, he did a very detailed inspection prior to the quote.
Color matched drip flashing all the way around.
44" Ice/water edge barrier on all edges and valleys.
Full roof synthetic underlay.
Malarkey Legacy SBS Fiberglass reinforced impact resistant shingles with Scotchguard.

Obviously includes all removal disposal and clean-up and he's going to fix up some eavestrough deficiencies for us as well and maybe add some attic vents.

Top Bottom