Which club in the Crowsnest area?

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trying to start a war. Just wanting the facts.
The way I understand it is there are three clubs. Corbin Country Club, Fernie Snowmobile Club and the Crowsnow Club.
I want to ride from Fernie, the Corbin area and would also like to try staying at the Summit Creek Cabins.
Which club should I support with my hard earned membership dollars?
Which club grooms what access trails?
Who has informative trail maps?
Who else besides Fernie maintains cabins?
Thanks in advance

Turts, typing on

crazeejames

Reaction score
If you're staying at summit creek , Curt and Verlee will hook ya up with crowsnow passes....great people and great riding....enjoy...hear its snowing hard there the last day or so

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Just the facts; Fernie is the only club that consistently grooms (3-4 times/week) and the club in the Pass grooms on an "as needed basis" is what I understand, the Crowsnest club and the Fernie club maintain cabins/shelters. Fernie is the club that has the whole SE corner mapped and signed. Trail markers correspond to numbers on the map.

The Corbin Country club grooms from the Coal Mountain mine site on occasion and other than a club membership that is a volunteer payment. Curtis used to (I don't know if he still does) groom from his location at Inn on the Border. I think he did that for his guests as a courtesy but I am not sure. The Fernie club grooms Coal Creek on a regular basis from 3 km out of Fernie up to the Rolling Hills cabin, around the Coal Summit this year, down to Morrissey, and makes a loop to the Wrangler's cabin. They also groom Hartley Lake on the north side of Highway #3 as required. If you ride in Fernie, a Fernie Snowmobile Association membership ($80.00) allows you to ride the trails for free and participate in other club functions like the annual Island Lake Lodge ride.

BTW, there is a club in Elkford, Sparwood, and an upstart club in Fernie. Choices, choices, choices, and decisions, decisions, decisions.....I belong, work for, and proudly support the FSA. This is the BC club, IMHO, that has been dedicated to the back-country (nothing against the Crow Snow Riders) adding new trails, promoting snowmobiling in the area, and added another new cabin/shelter a couple of years ago.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FSA is $80 and Crowsnow is $70 ($10 + $60 for ASA membership). I joined both and covered my bases.
I'll probably buy a membership for Elkford when we ride there this year.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just the facts; Fernie is the only club that consistently grooms (3-4 times/week) and the club in the Pass grooms on an "as needed basis" is what I understand, the Crowsnest club and the Fernie club maintain cabins/shelters. Fernie is the club that has the whole SE corner mapped and signed. Trail markers correspond to numbers on the map.

The Corbin Country club grooms from the Coal Mountain mine site on occasion and other than a club membership that is a volunteer payment. Curtis used to (I don't know if he still does) groom from his location at Inn on the Border. I think he did that for his guests as a courtesy but I am not sure. The Fernie club grooms Coal Creek on a regular basis from 3 km out of Fernie up to the Rolling Hills cabin, around the Coal Summit this year, down to Morrissey, and makes a loop to the Wrangler's cabin. They also groom Hartley Lake on the north side of Highway #3 as required. If you ride in Fernie, a Fernie Snowmobile Association membership ($80.00) allows you to ride the trails for free and participate in other club functions like the annual Island Lake Lodge ride.

BTW, there is a club in Elkford, Sparwood, and an upstart club in Fernie. Choices, choices, choices, and decisions, decisions, decisions.....I belong, work for, and proudly support the FSA. This is the BC club, IMHO, that has been dedicated to the back-country (nothing against the Crow Snow Riders) adding new trails, promoting snowmobiling in the area, and added another new cabin/shelter a couple of years ago.

That seems odd that someone is starting another club in Fernie. Are they maintaining a different area?
I join a club so I can get club info on their activities which helps me decide if I should renew the following year. FSA does a lot, I ride there a lot so I'll buy a membership their every year. I look forward to that groomed trail in instead of the pipeline with all of creek crossings and sometimes crazy whoops. I'll find out what CSR is like as a club this year.

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you Doug.
I was hoping to hear from you.
I already have my FSA membership but am interested in some other areas as well.
I will wait to see if any one represents the other areas.
I would think having a voice on S&M would be important to a club as we are their target audience.

FnDan, let's go use our FSA memberships Saturday!! Whoop whoop.

Turts, typing on

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year I rode all the areas discussed multiple times (except Fernie only once). Doug hit the nail on the head with his post. In my opinion all the clubs have put in a great effort and the volunteers that run these clubs deserve our thanks. The best (and easiest) way to support a clubs is to buy a membership. I'm guessing all the clubs in this area will be facing some challenges this year after the flooding that took place. It might be a good idea to contribute a little extra support this year to help them deal with it. Happy Riding!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's a tough call! if you need crowsnest passes I have some at my shop for sale. Fernies club does wonders for grooming they keep up with that really well! The crowsnow clubs trails and cabins are beautiful as well. Hey doug question for you as I was riding down south last season I cam to almost the waterton parks boundary and noticed a fernie snowmobile club ticket on the tree just wondering do you guys groom and maintain the trails in the very very far SE?

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a proud member of the FSA and have been for quite some time. My son also became a member of the FSA this past weekend. We use the trails and the new cabin is great

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
I think you have asked a hard question here. You have mentioned what is really three very different and distinct riding areas, clubs, provincial snowmobile associations and trail pass systems.

The Crowsnow Riders are Alberta based and as such are a member of the provincial snowmobile association or the ASA. The Crowsnow riders maintain two riding areas the North half trails or the riding area north of highway three and the south half trails which are the trails south of highway three. They also maintain two shelters as well, one in the South and the other one in the North system. Both the North and South trail systems have a multiple of staging areas as well. I can only begin to imagine the difficulty the Crowsnow Riders membership face when trying to maintain and groom these systems. The trail systems are signed, numbered and mapped and GPS coordinates are also available for most of the system.

Corbin is a trail system in B.C. and the grooming that takes place is performed by the Corbin Country club. It only has one staging area per say and that is up in the air right now from my understanding. The only other access has you parking along the road and ditch running to the trail head

Ferniesnow covered the FSC side very well, so I will not attempt to build on what he has to say.

The unknown question in my mind is what is your intent with the membership question? If it is to join a club and become an active member I would suggest you attend meetings for each of the clubs and determine which one you fit in best with. I believe the Crowsnow riders and the Fernie Snowmobile Club both hold monthly meetings during the winter season, and generally dates and times are posted on their respective websites. You would have to contact a member of the Corbin Country club as when their next meeting is.

One thing to keep in mind while some snowmobile associations like the Saskatchewan snowmobile association and the one in Manitoba do or did a trail pass reciprocity system in place to the best of my knowledge none of the before mentioned clubs do.

I believe both the Corbin Country Club and Fernie Snowmobile Club are members of one of the two provincial snowmobile associations in BC the BCSF. So for example if you join the FSC this also makes you a member of the BCSF, it is still expected that if you intend on riding trails in other BCSF club areas that you would purchase a trail pass for that area. Generally the trail pass will be at a reduced rate from what a non BCSF member would pay. I also am not aware of any trail pass reciprocity system between the ASA, BCSF or ABC. ABC is the other provincial snowmobile association in BC which I believe the Elkford snowmobile club is associated with.

The basic rule of thumb is buy where you ride.

Last edited:

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very good information. Thank you.
My main intent was to learn about the various clubs, their areas of responsibilities and features.
I would love to be a full member of every club. I understand the costs and time requirements to be successful.
Unfortunately, distance does not allow me to be an active member and my wallet only allows so much support.
As I said, I am a member of FSA and may support another club with a membership or at least daily trail passes.

Turts, typing on

Top Bottom