Where to buy coal

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where can I get some coal near Grande Prairie? The closest place I can find is the mine near Ryley. Don't need much, 45 gallon drum full at the most.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Throwing in a wood stove. Specifically, the wood stove that heats hot tub at cabin. Would be easier then constantly keeping a wood fire going at full tilt to get the water to initially heat up after filling the tub. Just throw in some coal and add a little air with fan if it needs it.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure Dodds in Ryley is the only place that sells coal in small amounts

Sent from my S4

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the local Gas utility company they used to have it to burn frost out of the ground not sure if they still do it.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Need it for stocking stuffers??? Try finding a guy who works at the coal mine in Grande Cache May be able to fix you up that small amount.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive always wondered if a guy could just go dig some out of the coal seams along that highway if you were going that way.

Syclone74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive always wondered if a guy could just go dig some out of the coal seams along that highway if you were going that way.

It would work but it wouldn't be that good as the oxygen has gotten to it. You need the proper grade of coal to burn in fire places. Lived in tumbler ridge for a few years and heard of a few stoves burning down from guys bringing coal from mines there and using it. Burns way to hot.

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would work but it wouldn't be that good as the oxygen has gotten to it. You need the proper grade of coal to burn in fire places. Lived in tumbler ridge for a few years and heard of a few stoves burning down from guys bringing coal from mines there and using it. Burns way to hot.

I would say that would be because the stoves weren't rated to burn coal. How do you think the coal seam being exposed to the air would effect it?

Syclone74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I've been told is its oxidized so loses its burnabilty if that's even a word. Not a scientist and neither were the guys at the mine that told me about it. Never tried burning the stuff.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We get ours from a pit near keephills. If you need a 45 gallon drum full I'm sure I can help you out, only thing is I'm a long way from gp. Also, coal burns 3 times hotter than most wood.

Last edited:

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I've been told is its oxidized so loses its burnabilty if that's even a word. Not a scientist and neither were the guys at the mine that told me about it. Never tried burning the stuff.

Interesting, never heard that one before. Did a little research, and if I understand what I read correctly, that is absolutely correct. Not sure how much one would notice the loss when using it for heating as opposed to generating steam.Here is the link to the article I found:

Last edited:

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds stupid but couldn't you use charcoal burns hot and for quite awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds stupid but couldn't you use charcoal burns hot and for quite awhile.

I don't think charcoal burns nearly as hot, but could be wrong. And the price of charcoal is like $10 for a small bag.....way to expensive to leisurely burn. Coal FOB at the Dodds plant is $40/tonne lol... Was hoping I could just find somebody who has a grainery full in the back 40 somewhere close to home!

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found this you could buy it online lol

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It takes quite a while before that. but yes, there is a reason you have a live pile and a dead(covered by clay and soil) pile and try and keep a good rotation of coal.

Throwing in a wood stove. Specifically, the wood stove that heats hot tub at cabin. Would be easier then constantly keeping a wood fire going at full tilt to get the water to initially heat up after filling the tub. Just throw in some coal and add a little air with fan if it needs it.
Just out of curiosity, is the stack for it anywhere close to the hot tub? Natural bituminous coal (the stuff thats in Alberta), when burnt in an uncrushed state with no pyrite removal and without proper fluidization (air/fuel ratio) is going to burn at a lower calorific value. And that leaves you with smokey, nasty pyrite smelling (which doesnt leave, my clothes from 4 years ago still smell like a pyrite fire) burn. Fortunately, the coal in GP is better than southern coal, but still weigh that in before making the switch to coal. You can buy processed anthracite coal that comes from the states with no pyrite content, and really high (around 30,000Kg/Kj) calorific value.

Last edited:

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It takes quite a while before that. but yes, there is a reason you have a live pile and a dead(covered by clay and soil) pile and try and keep a good rotation of coal.

Just out of curiosity, is the stack for it anywhere close to the hot tub? Natural bituminous coal (the stuff thats in Alberta), when burnt in an uncrushed state with no pyrite removal and without proper fluidization (air/fuel ratio) is going to burn at a lower calorific value. And that leaves you with smokey, nasty pyrite smelling (which doesnt leave, my clothes from 4 years ago still smell like a pyrite fire) burn. Fortunately, the coal in GP is better than southern coal, but still weigh that in before making the switch to coal. You can buy processed anthracite coal that comes from the states with no pyrite content, and really high (around 30,000Kg/Kj) calorific value.

Good to know! I did hear coal smells bad when it burns, but also read that if enough air is provided, it burns clean. The stove can pretty much be placed anywhere depending on how much hose you run.

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to know! I did hear coal smells bad when it burns, but also read that if enough air is provided, it burns clean. The stove can pretty much be placed anywhere depending on how much hose you run.

That is the problem with coal up here. Yes, you are right, it does smell better when you have good airflow, but that requires great pulverization and fluidization, which you probably wont get perfect on a natural induction. Basically a perfectly crushed coal should flow almost like water. I personally would stick to wood cause of the smell, but its your call. Good luck with it either way you go.

Top Bottom