What's everyone wearing for body protection?

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking into tech vest style protection, don't want hard armor, but something that offers kidney and chest protection. Been looking at the Leatt 3df vest, Scott softcon, or maybe the fox Titan? What's been working for other people?

I wear a backpack, so want something comfortable under it.

Any input would be appreciated.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking into tech vest style protection, don't want hard armor, but something that offers kidney and chest protection. Been looking at the Leatt 3df vest, Scott softcon, or maybe the fox Titan? What's been working for other people?

I wear a backpack, so want something comfortable under it.

Any input would be appreciated.

Kidney belt and and an Arctic cat Tec vest. I like that the weight of the back pack is distributed evenly over the shoulders of the tec vest. Straps of the back pack don't dig into my shoulders.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much the same as Pipes here. My vest is the Klim version though as it has bigger vent holes. Many of my Eastern buds like the Leatt products. If I needed another setup I would be looking at Leatt.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wearing an avi pack over a Tec Vest before I switched to an Avi-vest and liked it just fine. It adds another layer though. Got pretty warm in the spring sometimes. So does my vest come to think of it.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread...... Please keep this going.

Also, I'd be interested hearing about anyone's thought on the North Face Powder guide Avy vest. Looks lighter than the other "vest" style packs on the market....?

AGGRESIVEZEBRA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from experience i would try and stay away from anything like 3DF or the soft materials that turn hard on impact. in the cold they go rock hard and get super uncomfortable.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from experience i would try and stay away from anything like 3DF or the soft materials that turn hard on impact. in the cold they go rock hard and get super uncomfortable.

Second person who has said something about that, but they make a winter specific vest with the same foam, so I would think it would be fine since it's against your body. Found a really good price on the Leatt adventure body vest, light rubber armor, and built in kidney belt, in a compression body. Hopefully it doesn't suck, I'll be sure to let know.
The cat vest looks nice too, but the pricing sucks.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear a first generation snowpulse vest with the armour inserts. Really like it other than in the spring it gets warm but most guys are done by May/June anyway.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear a first generation snowpulse vest with the armour inserts. Really like it other than in the spring it gets warm but most guys are done by May/June anyway.
X2, love the vest, can get warm tho

But so does a tech vest and back pack

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I switched from a Klim Tek vest with ABS Avy pack to a BCA Avy Vest and LOVE it! Carries weight more on hips so way less pressure on shoulders. Also wear a kidney belt (helps when lifting stuck sleds) and motocross style knee/shin pads (saves knee caps from those sharp running board edges). Used to never wear anything till a barrel rolled on my back which could have had dire consequences. Wear the gear now!
a797e527fe6e7d1ecc73b75a71025c54.jpg

tbreiweser

Reaction score
I would have to say that knee pads are a must! think about how often you use you knee. hmm every day wouldnt want to take that out lol

Top Bottom