whats backshift???

chriscat1000

Reaction score
i have a 09 m1 with jaws twins and ar tech heads i want to do clutching but what is backshift can someone explane it what kind of back shift am i looking for

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two scenarios:

You're running at a hill, wide open throttle, the hill steepens and the snow gets deeper. Your clutches must backshift to keep the engine at peak RPM.

You're cruising at 1/2 throttle, 6000rpm, 40mph across a meadow. You want to hit a hill. You pin full throttle. Your clutches must downshift to pick up to peak RPM.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does this not also involve simple trail riding and downshifting when off the gas? Ie, you let off the gas and the ratios change to cause reduction in speed?

I like how my Summit puts on the "binders" when I let off the gas. Great for decents too. Just let it idle down without brakes.

I'm not the most informed about clutching. I know mine works so I leave it as is =) Nice thing about owning a 06.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If under wide open throttle your RPM's drag down (scenario 1) you need clutching help.

If when applying wide open throttle (scenario 2) your RPM's don't go up to your rated RPM, you need clutching help.

Good clutching applys to all sleds, but is most noticed in mountain sleds for sure. AC has excellent factory clutching. If you suspect yours is out, it's likely due to something not being tuned right for your mods. I won't be able to help ya there....you'll need some AC expertise. But the theory's are the same.

tredeb

Reaction score
Better backshift is generally associated with a stronger spring in your secondary clutch. If you have good backshift, your secondary can respond quicker to a reduction in throttle and changes in loads. This will result in a more "sporty" feel to your sled. If you are on and off the throttle a lot, you will have better response with a quicker/stronger backshift. Essentially it allows your sled to grab a lower gear quicker.

If you are cruising on trails, you probably want a less aggressive backshift so as to make your driving smoother.

chriscat1000

Reaction score
i'm on and off the gas quite abite i like to boondock so i should adjust my sled to more back shift has anybody use the backshift addist from black diamond for back shift

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its basically the clutches ability to recover from a differant load situation.....climbing a hill and hit a big rut. how fast can it recover trackspeed and rpm.

chriscat1000

Reaction score
ok thanks so quicker backshift is better so my m1 comes with a 36 degree helix if i put a 38 in it should give me qicker backshift but want it bring down my rpm

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm on and off the gas quite abite i like to boondock so i should adjust my sled to more back shift has anybody use the backshift addist from black diamond for back shift
i use a shift assist in mine it's a bearing under the secondary spring alowing it to back shift with no bind

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dropped 100 rpm and holds rpm in a climb better,and if you let off and grab a handful it goes right to the perfect spot to keep pulling with no bog

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok thanks so quicker backshift is better so my m1 comes with a 36 degree helix if i put a 38 in it should give me qicker backshift but want it bring down my rpm

Nope. Shallower helix angles = slower upshift, faster backshift, better belt grab. Everything equal, RPM will increase.

Steeper helix = rapid upshift, slower backshift, less belt grab. everything equal, RPM will be lower.

Do not tune your RPM with the secondary. Tune your upshift/backshift characteristics with the secondary, then get your RPMs where you want with the primary. Yes....you can go back and forth a lot finding the right combo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom