what next dirt bike should i get

willmx11

Reaction score
hey im will and i do alot of trail and powerline riding. im about 5'4 5'5 and weigh around 120 pounds. i currently have a honda crf 150f and its just way to slow. im an experienced intermediate rider. i wanna stay with honda but im wondering what your opinions would be with what bike. ive been looking at crf 250r's cr 125's and cr 250's (ive never ridden a 2 stroke before) if you could give me some ideas on which one of these bikes i should ge that would be great thanks.

Last edited:

willmx11

Reaction score
id like to get either honda crf 250r cr125 or cr250. and ive heard 2 strokes have alot of maintenence. and its hard to get them to not foul plugs

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id like to get either honda crf 250r cr125 or cr250. and ive heard 2 strokes have alot of maintenence. and its hard to get them to not foul plugs

Any bike has lots of maintenance, it depends how much you bag the fuggin thing and how well you take care of it. 4 strokes just take more time and money to maintain in most cases... 2 strokes are easy and cheap and a ton of fun.

With your size, I'd maybe stick to something smaller then a 250..that bike has a lot of jam for someone your size, my bf is 180 lbs and 6 feet and his 250 has even too much jam for him. Not really a good bike for a beginner or someone just learnin to ride a 2 stroke. Your CRF is a trail bike, nothing compared to a any 2 stroke mx bike..so your in for a treat!

It's the nice thing about KTM is that they make the 144/150 2 strokes so its a good inbetween bike from 125 to 250..

You could possibly try a 250f, which is comparison in size to a 125 2 stroke but you'd have to go check out the dirtbike section of this site and ask around and get people's opinions and experience with certain bikes..

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you plan to stay with Honda, I would suggest the 4-stroke. Honda has pretty much thrown in their hats when it comes to the 2-stroke (a move alot of people are thinking Honda is going to regret).

Hondas 2-strokes that you will find on Kijiji are going to be in pretty rough shape, and fairly out-dated. Even before Honda gave up on producing their 2-strokes in 2007, they quit their research and development years earlier. The last new engine mod Honda made to the 250 was in 2002.

You will be looking for a 250F if you are still looking to stay with Honda. You should be planning to pay $4800 - $5200 for a decent used bike off kijiji. You could spend $7000 for a year old bike on consignment at a dealership, but that could be a bad idea.

The reason used 4-strokes are so inexpensive, is because you never know what you are going to get. I personaly know of 2 or 3 people selling their 2006 CRFs for cheap because they dont want to invest the money to repair the worn parts. It may seem like a good deal and in decent running shape, but unless the seller is willing to let you get the bike inspected by a dealership, you could be purchasing a ticking time bomb.

Byer beware!!!

The used 2-stroke market seems to be a safer bet. The likelyhood of a better return on your investment as well.

Might i suggest a YZ125? You could find a 2002-2005 YZ125 for under $3000. There are a few things to look for when buying, but those bikes are relatively bullit proof. You can use that as a perfect transition bike. Use it for 2 seasons while you grow into the bigger bikes.

The YZ125 is super cheap to find replacement parts for, great handling, and more than powerful enough for a person of your size. I was 180lbs last year and raced that bike. great bike to do that powerline riding you were talking about as well. very light bike. easy to throw around.

if you have any other questions dont be affraid to PM me.

johnny

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any bike has lots of maintenance, it depends how much you bag the fuggin thing and how well you take care of it. 4 strokes just take more time and money to maintain in most cases... 2 strokes are easy and cheap and a ton of fun.

With your size, I'd maybe stick to something smaller then a 250..that bike has a lot of jam for someone your size, my bf is 180 lbs and 6 feet and his 250 has even too much jam for him. Not really a good bike for a beginner or someone just learnin to ride a 2 stroke. Your CRF is a trail bike, nothing compared to a any 2 stroke mx bike..so your in for a treat!

It's the nice thing about KTM is that they make the 144/150 2 strokes so its a good inbetween bike from 125 to 250..

You could possibly try a 250f, which is comparison in size to a 125 2 stroke but you'd have to go check out the dirtbike section of this site and ask around and get people's opinions and experience with certain bikes..

nice pic!!!! i have one of me jumping my old ttr 125 and i was goin so fast that you can see right through me and the bike!!!

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you plan to stay with Honda, I would suggest the 4-stroke. Honda has pretty much thrown in their hats when it comes to the 2-stroke (a move alot of people are thinking Honda is going to regret).

Hondas 2-strokes that you will find on Kijiji are going to be in pretty rough shape, and fairly out-dated. Even before Honda gave up on producing their 2-strokes in 2007, they quit their research and development years earlier. The last new engine mod Honda made to the 250 was in 2002.

You will be looking for a 250F if you are still looking to stay with Honda. You should be planning to pay $4800 - $5200 for a decent used bike off kijiji. You could spend $7000 for a year old bike on consignment at a dealership, but that could be a bad idea.

The reason used 4-strokes are so inexpensive, is because you never know what you are going to get. I personaly know of 2 or 3 people selling their 2006 CRFs for cheap because they dont want to invest the money to repair the worn parts. It may seem like a good deal and in decent running shape, but unless the seller is willing to let you get the bike inspected by a dealership, you could be purchasing a ticking time bomb.

Byer beware!!!

The used 2-stroke market seems to be a safer bet. The likelyhood of a better return on your investment as well.

Might i suggest a YZ125? You could find a 2002-2005 YZ125 for under $3000. There are a few things to look for when buying, but those bikes are relatively bullit proof. You can use that as a perfect transition bike. Use it for 2 seasons while you grow into the bigger bikes.

The YZ125 is super cheap to find replacement parts for, great handling, and more than powerful enough for a person of your size. I was 180lbs last year and raced that bike. great bike to do that powerline riding you were talking about as well. very light bike. easy to throw around.

if you have any other questions dont be affraid to PM me.

johnny

Agreed. You can't really go wrong with a 125 cc 2 stroke, a 250f might be a little more on the pricey side when it comes to maintenance and cost of parts, etc..especially for someone just starting out. Once you get used to a 2 stroke, you will love it, but if you get a bike that's too much for you off the bat you may not enjoy it..so just start off small and work your way up..but a 125 is going to have more then enough power for you! I've owned two Yamahas both bikes were excellent and extremely cheap to maintain. Suzukis are great too...they seem to last forever! My bf's Suzuki runs better then most bikes half its age. Another thing to consider is dealerships... what is most convenient, etc. I would also recommend taking someone with you bike shopping that knows what they're looking for, especially if buying used. You can never trust sellers... I have learnt this the hard way with my KTM..

anyways good luck!!

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a really clean 2004 Kawasaki KX 125 that I bought for my wife to ride but all she does is foul plugs and bog it, I have realized that my sweetie will never figure out how to ride it properly, I'll end up getting her a quad it think.
I rode it a bit last fall and it rips, I ride a yz 450 though, and although it's alot less powerfull, once you get her in the powerband she pulls hard and shifts smooth as heck.
I have also set up the suspension nice so it's well balanced and rails corners.(i have been riding for 31 years and raced motocross at the intermediate level for 20 years so I have a good knack for setting up a bike)
It has newer tires, heavy duty tubes, twin air air filter, all the body work is oringinal and in mint shape, the stock graphics are still mint.
I also has renthal fat bars and an aluminum throttle tube.
I'd like $ 2800 for it.
It's a great bike but it just sits there and never gets used.

rpt247

Reaction score
If i was you i wouldn't just stick to looking at hondas as there are a bunch of other bikes out there. Read reviews and definitely see about dealer support the last thing you want is to be broke down and waiting for parts while your friends r out riding! The big question you have to ask yourself is what style of riding you do. 2 srokes are alot of fun and quite easy to maintain fouled plugs are not a big deal. I recently just switched to a 4 stroke i do miss the snappiness of my old bike but there are alot things i like about the 4 stroke, if you are mechanically inclined then the general maintenance of a 4 stroke is no big deal. Oil changes take ten min, valves are not hard to do either most times you check them they're still in spec. So really both styles have +/- just get a bike you feel comfortable on with your size power is not going to be an issue

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a really clean 2004 Kawasaki KX 125 that I bought for my wife to ride but all she does is foul plugs and bog it, I have realized that my sweetie will never figure out how to ride it properly, I'll end up getting her a quad it think.
I rode it a bit last fall and it rips, I ride a yz 450 though, and although it's alot less powerfull, once you get her in the powerband she pulls hard and shifts smooth as heck.
I have also set up the suspension nice so it's well balanced and rails corners.(i have been riding for 31 years and raced motocross at the intermediate level for 20 years so I have a good knack for setting up a bike)
It has newer tires, heavy duty tubes, twin air air filter, all the body work is oringinal and in mint shape, the stock graphics are still mint.
I also has renthal fat bars and an aluminum throttle tube.
I'd like $ 2800 for it.
It's a great bike but it just sits there and never gets used.

Will, if I were you I would consider looking at this bike..

The price is right, its coming from someone who obviously knows how to take care of a bike, and perfect for a starter 2 stroke. YOu don't want to go out and buy something brand new and fancy right off the bat.. better to buy an older cheaper one to see if you really like it or not..which I have no doubt you will.

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That KX sounds perfect! I have a season on that exact bike. lots of low-end actually. Great bike, perfect price!

willmx11

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. ive been looking at alot of 125s and 250s i think the 250 might be a little to much power on a 2 stroke. and i just sat on my friends 125 today it still seems a little to big. im kinda interested in a ktm sx105 i can fit on it perfect. any reviews on them? shoot me a message thanks.

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think you ust pushed the magic button for lady dirt. You may have troubles finding one though.

another otion you may think about is a KX100. you'll find a bunch on kijiji. cheap, lots of power, and another perfect transition bike. easy to maintain as well.

How old are you?

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey im will and i do alot of trail and powerline riding. Im about 5'4 5'5 and weigh around 120 pounds. I currently have a honda crf 150f and its just way to slow. Im an experienced intermediate rider. I wanna stay with honda but im wondering what your opinions would be with what bike. Ive been looking at crf 250r's cr 125's and cr 250's (ive never ridden a 2 stroke before) if you could give me some ideas on which one of these bikes i should ge that would be great thanks.

id go with a ktm exc. You'll never look back.

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha ya
alright ill look into them. im 15
sx 105s arent really popular are they?

dude, you will outgrow a KX100 or a KTM 105sx was too fast. i think you should think a bit more about the 125.

I'm 5 foot 6 and ride a 250 2-stroke. It's big and tall for me, but i suffer. although the 125 might be a bit tall, it will feel right at home in no time. seriously!

I once saw a kid named derek Fisher racing when i was younger. he was a Canadian pro years ago. He was a small guy, and used a block for his feet on the starting line. Take a look at Ricky Charmichael. super small dude who manages a full sized bike better than anyone. Just cause you are shorter doesnt mean you shouldnt have the bike that suits you best.

Now stop being a big wuss-baby. Go get a 125 2-stroke and show that screaming b!tch whose boss!

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dude, you will outgrow a KX100 or a KTM 105sx was too fast. i think you should think a bit more about the 125.

I'm 5 foot 6 and ride a 250 2-stroke. It's big and tall for me, but i suffer. although the 125 might be a bit tall, it will feel right at home in no time. seriously!

I once saw a kid named derek Fisher racing when i was younger. he was a Canadian pro years ago. He was a small guy, and used a block for his feet on the starting line. Take a look at Ricky Charmichael. super small dude who manages a full sized bike better than anyone. Just cause you are shorter doesnt mean you shouldnt have the bike that suits you best.

Now stop being a big wuss-baby. Go get a 125 2-stroke and show that screaming b!tch whose boss!

First of all, ya..good luck getting your hands on a 105. Getting mine for under 4g was pure miracle (the motor blew up shortly after I bought it and put over $3000 into it just to replace practically everything on the bike..top/bottom end, forks, brakes, tires, etc..)

There was an '06 identical to mine up on Kijij the other day, $4300.. it sold in hours.

There is an '08 105xc asking $4900..BUT KTM is right, your 15 your going go grow out of that bike in no time. You can lower the suspension on a 125 a few inches..so i'd look into doing that. Some people also cut out the seat foam which I perosnally think looks gay as hell but hey whatever floats your boat! I think a 125 would last you a long time compared to a 100 or 105... these are girls bikes!! lol just sayin.. i'm 23 and 5 foot... there's no way i'm ever upgrading out of a 105..even though im quite sure I can handle the power of a 125 or 144/150

Top Bottom