What happened to my crank?

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is a guy to get a good crank. I lost my motor 14km up the Clemina trail on my first day of the trip. Pretty sure it's a crank issue but haven't torn it down yet. Fix kit installed at beginning of last season. Ran flawless all season. It's a 2011 Pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If your close to edmonton get ahold of chris at parkland motorsports.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Octanee

Reaction score
Where is a guy to get a good crank. I lost my motor 14km up the Clemina trail on my first day of the trip. Pretty sure it's a crank issue but haven't torn it down yet. Fix kit installed at beginning of last season. Ran flawless all season. It's a 2011 Pro

I ordered my crank from CVT-AAB out of quebec. It was $625 + tax. Many places buy/sell the cranks re-maned from CVT and/or charge more ontop of that. Shipping was only $25 from there to bc and pretty fast, they fedex'd it and came in about 4 business days.

Octanee, don't pamper the sled. That is a big mistake lots of guys do and what happen's is the piston rings don't seat properly into the cylinder's. This can cause many issues like blowby the rings like you experience and then crank failure. It will also cause the cylinders to glaze and then you will never get the full power potential out of the motor, the only way to fix that is to bore out the cylinder's. You don't want to do that.
What you need to do is get the piston rings to push hard into the cylinders so they can seat in. You can only do that by taking the cylinder pressure up, that can only happen at WOT for a stretch. Then let the rings relax and the heat dissipate, then doit again.
Do this about 10-15 times with no rest. WOT for a count of 5, rest for 30sec. WOT for count of 5, rest for 30sec.
It shouldn't take you more then 10min to fully break in a motor.
I recommend you do this near your truck should it blow up, if it blow up, we say that is a good thing. Why because it would of blown up anyways and the rebuild was not good. A good rebuild WILL NOT blow up.
I have done hundreds of rebuilds over the years, many for racing and that's how its done.
Good luck.

BTW, our hillclimber's and drag race sleds we start at a count of 5 at WOT but push the count higher every time. A good strong motor will take after a break in a solid 30sec WOT pull no problem. A weak rebuild might just grenade, better it grenade by the truck then deep in the back country.

Thanks for the info lund, much appreciated! Very good point!. I did Give it a few wide open pulls but it was only quick ones. But Time was not on our side on that ride as we got out pretty late, so next ride, hopefully this weekend I'll get to run er better. And yeah if a engines going to blow, she'll blow regardless after being rebuilt.

nosaj82

Reaction score
I ordered my crank from CVT-AAB out of quebec. It was $625 + tax. Many places buy/sell the cranks re-maned from CVT and/or charge more ontop of that. Shipping was only $25 from there to bc and pretty fast, they fedex'd it and came in about 4 business days.

Thanks for info man. I will touch base with them

Thanks for the info lund, much appreciated! Very good point!. I did Give it a few wide open pulls but it was only quick ones. But Time was not on our side on that ride as we got out pretty late, so next ride, hopefully this weekend I'll get to run er better. And yeah if a engines going to blow, she'll blow regardless after being rebuilt.

Thanks for info.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a thought for you guys with oil problems. I have found that the air bubble that forms in the feed line from the tank to the oil pump after removal of the oil tank is problematic to remove. Polaris has this line coved with wire loom to protect it and you can't see the bubble. I bled the oil pump by pressuring up the oil tank and forcing the air through the oil pump bleed screw. You can clearly hear it it dissipate. If you can see an air bubble at the barb fitting at the oil tank you will have oiling issues as the air bubble flows to the oil pump causing cavitation and not fully removing the air bubble.

Top Bottom