What fuel is the best for your ride

Clark Grizwald

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In order to maintain my quad the best I possibly can I'd like to hear what fuel people are using and why they like it best. I've done a bunch of reading on best fuels to use and I've chosen shell 87 octane for my newest quad, 1000 XMR. I guess 87 octane burns faster giving you more horse power that's why I use it. The best I can tell from everything I've read is to stay away from ethanol, that's pretty tough in Canada. What say you? :th_quad::headbanger:

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only non-ethanol 87 octane fuel I've seen in Alberta is from CO-OP and has a noticeable fleet fuel economy improvement at the company I work for. This is my first choice at home, too.

Clark Grizwald

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only non-ethanol 87 octane fuel I've seen in Alberta is from CO-OP and has a noticeable fleet fuel economy improvement at the company I work for. This is my first choice at home, too.

I did read co op has there own refinery I do believe, And they have the best steaks! Not sure if they have a pump in red deer but I'm looking into it! Thanks

Last edited:

Clark Grizwald

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You would be the man to ask here, just found one co op gas bar in red deer that isn't card lock do they run the 87 non ethanol fuel as well? Thanks

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've actually posted on a another forum about problems I think I've had with my KTM with using the new she'll nitro.

Sent from my iPhone while wishing the snow was gone so I can go dirt biking.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris will run on horse piss so it gets Shell 87. Bike and Sled get Shell 91.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 450x, the harley, and the sled get shell 91, everything else gets 87 from wherever.

what kind of problems did you have John?

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 450x, the harley, and the sled get shell 91, everything else gets 87 from wherever.

what kind of problems did you have John?

My KTM would not start or run properly on it. I drained the tank and put premium in and it started up fine and ran fine.

Sent from my iPhone while wishing the snow was gone so I can go dirt biking.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run 94 Husky in my machine because I full it from the same jerry cans that I fill my lawn tractor out of. It gets 94 only because anything else it diesels and detonates violently.

My quad runs the same on 87 as it does on premium.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled gets shell or petro Canada 91, no way would I put 94 in my sled unless it was the only fuel around. But the Ranger and everything else gets regular from wherever. And it's true a motor that is designed for 87 will make it's best power with 87, your waisting money if your burning 91 or higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run 94 Husky in my machine because I full it from the same jerry cans that I fill my lawn tractor out of. It gets 94 only because anything else it diesels and detonates violently.

My quad runs the same on 87 as it does on premium.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Is husky 94 ethanol free?

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run 94 no ethanol from chevron in my pro
On chief lake the husky sells marked 91 with no ethanol but I usually fill her up in town anywho. On any given weekend morning in winter you'll see prob the majority of sledders filling up here
And for my old 2moke quad it gets 'premium' from shell. I don't remember if it says no ethanol

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
91 Petro for all my toys, oh and Seafoam I put that **** in everything!

Clark Grizwald

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just stopped by co op gas bar here in red deer and filled my can. The premium 91 octane fuel contains no ethanol so I went with that. The manual for my XMR says 87 - 92 octane, don't usually run premium but with no ethanol I'm switching to that. Co op web sight even states no ethanol in 91 and a detailed chart of there blends, I like that. I'm sure any fuel will run fine for several years to come but I'm just picky I guess. I also drink molson special dry because it doesn't make my hair hurt the next day, cleans my injectors well though.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anything with compression ratio's up to 11 to 1 can run regular fuel and after that 11 to 1 up to 13 to 1 can run premium... after 13 to 1 then you have to run VP or any other race gas... if you dont need it... it dont help you at all...

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Co-op doesn't use any ethanol in any grade and I think Federated Co-op fuels come from the refinery in Regina that catches fire every other year. Most brands are ethanol free at 91 octane except for Husky. They run the maximum allowable ethanol content in all their grades, hence them offering 94 octane in Alberta. In my hotrod truck, my engine had 10% worse mileage on Husky 94 vs any other 91 grade, but I could run 1 more degree timing under boost and make more power. The only problem is the 94 is horrendously inconsistent and I had to re-adjust the tune for every fill up, just to keep it running.

Cummins610

Reaction score
Our co-op card lock says may contain ethanol right on the pump and gets dropped fuel from non co-op trucks, I don't think all their fuel comes from sask, just doesn't make sense economically. I run 91 Esso or 91 Co-op(not card lock), treat it with stabilizer everytime and no problems yet. Our company trucks(mostly 5.7L and now 6.4 hemis) get card lock co-op fuel all their life and average 100,000-150,000kms per year of driving, we have never had a fuel related issue to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom