What does everyone use to condition the wood on their sled-decks???

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, was wondering what to use to "Condition" or "Waterproof" the decking on my Sled-Deck.... Just picked up some new wood for the deck and was gonna stain or waterproof it before installing....
1) What about that green Wood Sealer (used on cut edges of pressure treated wood to seal the cut edges)
2) Crazy but I heard ATF (might make a big mess if a bag or jacket gets tossed on there
3) Plain old stain (not too sure)

Picked up some G1S Fir Plywood (1/2" thick) and would love suggestions on what to use... Wear from skis and suck will be minimal, I got glides and such to install to prevent carbides from damaging....

Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

orange stealth

Reaction score
Use black deck stain on my marathon when I had it. It seemed to work good. Nothing will protect entire deck unless its covered entirely in glides. And I've thought about that too.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Road salt and solar UV rays.....
very easy to apply. I like it.

the last time I did mine I used non slip deck coating, kind of a rubberized paint with sand in it. didn't have glides and it lasted pretty good where the carbides weren't scraping it off. good traction to walk on

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use black deck stain on my marathon when I had it. It seemed to work good. Nothing will protect entire deck unless its covered entirely in glides. And I've thought about that too.

Nice, was wondering when you'd show up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Black deck stain eh???? and Teeroy you just used like a paint with gritty crap in it??? Hmmm so much to ponder now...

orange stealth

Reaction score
Yup I'm here. Stain worked great but that grippy stuff would be the best. I've slipped lots on my deck and even my trailer. I actually might get that for my trailer yet.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice, was wondering when you'd show up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Black deck stain eh???? and Teeroy you just used like a paint with gritty crap in it??? Hmmm so much to ponder now...
yeah man, it was from home hardware I think, can't remember the brand name but it comes in several different colors. there was a can of primer you had to get to put on under the coating, pretty sure it was around 40 bucks for both cans and there was lots left over.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah man, it was from home hardware I think, can't remember the brand name but it comes in several different colors. there was a can of primer you had to get to put on under the coating, pretty sure it was around 40 bucks for both cans and there was lots left over.

Was it called "hardrock" or something like that ????

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used black stain on my marathon. I just bought some foam rollers for a paint roller and rolled on a couple coats.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used black stain
Before:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352707312.064807.jpg

After:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352707390.500587.jpg

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would just get a good quality colored stain made for wood, add some sand to it and mix it well. Roll it on with a thick roller and you would be happy . That way the stain inpregnates the wood and the sand makes it slip resistant, where paint really just sits on top of the wood.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What type & thickness of wood do you guys use when you have to replace the deck? Mine is all weather & split/ lifting apart.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That all depends on the type of deck. Some use 5/8 for the telescopic. I would go as thick as you could.

I just leave the deck alone it gets beat up with the finish on it, or not. Sometimes it gets slippery with the coatings.
What type & thickness of wood do you guys use when you have to replace the deck? Mine is all weather & split/ lifting apart.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think the normal and most cost effective is Treated Plywood, or PWF (Permanent Wood Foundation)... Can get in multiple thicknesses from 1/4" to 3/4".... Some people will use marine Grade Plywood, made for areas around moisture all the time... Personal preference I guess is the bottom decision... I am using 1/2" G1S (Good one Side) Fir Plywood... Im going to use a black stain with a sand product mixed in ( for traction) and seal with a clear acrylic (with sand product mixed in as well).... Best bang for buck is Treated Plywood, but the route im going is a little more pricey.... All depends on if you are using glides for your skis as well, most wood will deteriorate after a few years with the carbides chewing through the wood, let alone moisture separating the layers....

But Im sure there are a few more "Experienced" haulers out there that have replaced a few more decks than I (first one for me) so wait till a few more chime in.... Im sure Ill learn a few tricks too!!!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used that treated plywood, it is spruce. That stuff is complete garbage. It delaminated in a year. The best stuff for the $$$ is Form plywood, from Alpine forest products in Edmonton. It is waterproof, fir, with no voids. They coat it with a water proof coating, and it is very affordable. I paid 27$ CASH (3/4") a sheet last year.
PWF is good if you are burying it in the dirt and don't want it to rot. If the wood is wet, then dries, it won't decompose like it's being buried.

I think the normal and most cost effective is Treated Plywood, or PWF (Permanent Wood Foundation)... Can get in multiple thicknesses from 1/4" to 3/4".... Some people will use marine Grade Plywood, made for areas around moisture all the time... Personal preference I guess is the bottom decision... I am using 1/2" G1S (Good one Side) Fir Plywood... Im going to use a black stain with a sand product mixed in ( for traction) and seal with a clear acrylic (with sand product mixed in as well).... Best bang for buck is Treated Plywood, but the route im going is a little more pricey.... All depends on if you are using glides for your skis as well, most wood will deteriorate after a few years with the carbides chewing through the wood, let alone moisture separating the layers....

But Im sure there are a few more "Experienced" haulers out there that have replaced a few more decks than I (first one for me) so wait till a few more chime in.... Im sure Ill learn a few tricks too!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom