What does everyone use to condition the wood on their sled-decks???

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used that treated plywood, it is spruce. That stuff is complete garbage. It delaminated in a year. The best stuff for the $$$ is Form plywood, from Alpine forest products in Edmonton. It is waterproof, fir, with no voids. They coat it with a water proof coating, and it is very affordable. I paid 27$ CASH (3/4") a sheet last year.
PWF is good if you are burying it in the dirt and don't want it to rot. If the wood is wet, then dries, it won't decompose like it's being buried.

I used 5/8" GIS fir.

I usually add some gas, 2 stroke oil, and beer to really finish it off.

See I knew I went thin when I bought the sheets..... I am installing glides tho, you think ill be ok for strength???? And yes beer and gas go well in conditioning the deck surface.....

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As long as there is support below.
Buddy of mine bought a brand new deck, can't remember what brand, but there is a 16" x 24" section of no support and it is sagging. I think they used 1/2 inch ply.

See I knew I went thin when I bought the sheets..... I am installing glides tho, you think ill be ok for strength???? And yes beer and gas go well in conditioning the deck surface.....

bogey

Reaction score
There is some plywood out there which is covered in wire mesh and resin and is supposed to be very durable I noticed it last year and this year at the sled show and ask one of the sled deck suppliers about it. I think he said he sells for about $50 a 4x8 sheet 5/8" thick and it comes from China. Sorry dont remember which company. Does anyone else know?

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Thompsons water seal ( I buy the cheapest stuff there is). Put on a couple thick coats every fall and spring. Seamed to have built up a good coating that skags dont cut into the plywood or 2X6s anymore. Use it on my enclosed and 4 place open trailer.

Top Bottom