Welsch Lakes (thunderwater area)

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone every brake up into welsch lakes, it would be the turn off on your way to thunder water. Looks like a ton of fun up there. tried a couple of times but the creek looks nasty.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
May have been there got a map you can post?

dycker

Reaction score
we tried a couple of years ago, but the trail was quite overgrown with willows. Looking at the topo's, it looks like nice terrain up there.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a fairly pronounced trail on the aerial shot for Google Earth which was taken in 2005. It does look like a good time for sure! Here's the map JCMX. The Blue line running east/ west is the Forester Trail. The trail to Welsh lakes starts below the gas drop I believe.

Capture.jpg

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tried going up there a few years ago, but lost the trail, it seemed either over grown or maybe just a walking trail. Ended up on the SE facing slope probably half way up. Some thing I've looked at for a while, but can't convince some of my crew to venture very far from the main areas.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea same, i tried about 8 or 9 years ago, but only made it half way. Since then i tried 2 years ago, but the creek just looks nasty. I was talking to one of my buddies who used to ride there frickin stupidly and said you can access the glacier from the lakes or vice versa. Hmmm, if anyone wants to try this year let me know. I will go with someone to bust up a trail, willows are my friend :p. The ariels on google look verry promising, and some of the hikin photos i have seen look great.

The turn is well before the gas drop, i would say a easy 5-8km before gas drop point.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a shot from the lake, access from north star is at the end far right
GOPR0388.jpg
and how I got in there in Aug
GOPR0661.jpg

Attachments

• GOPR0550.jpg
    GOPR0550.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 371

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wtf?? how did the last pic get in there???? anyway a shot into stockdale drainage from Welsch

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pano, what can you say about the highlight. Looks like a major ravine, gonna assume a guy cannot ride directly up it. Looks like the trees are spaced out enough to punch a trail in on the side, or is it a major side hill right around this area?
Route two would be to work a way up to aberystwyth lake and then come down to welsh if that ravine is real nasty.

Lakes.jpg

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pano, what can you say about the highlight. Looks like a major ravine, gonna assume a guy cannot ride directly up it. Looks like the trees are spaced out enough to punch a trail in on the side, or is it a major side hill right around this area?
Route two would be to work a way up to aberystwyth lake and then come down to welsh if that ravine is real nasty.

View attachment 112871
that is the nasty spot, big slide zone from the right hand side, creek and water fall up the middle. Hiking trail is on the right side of the ravine. I think it would be possible to go on the right side going up if snow conditions allow.

The trail in from the forester road is sweet, forestry cleaned it up big time2 years ago. First 2-3km is wide enough for a jeep.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So whats everyones vote?

Option 1 work your way through on probably a side hill with minimal gain in elevation or option 2 work your way up between the trees and rock slopes, typically flat but more vertical and come down to welsh??

Lakes 1.jpg

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go with the flatter way. If a guy loses the side hill you go down into some nasty trees maybe.

Top Bottom