Want to buy Enclosed. Help me decide.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just recently downsized to an F-150 from an F-350 because it better suits my needs.

With the F-350 I had a snowmobile deck and loved it. I still hated the tarping aspect, but it was still convenient.

Now, since I have a half ton, I decided to buy an economical enclosed trailer.

I have a few choices:
  • --- Top Quality I am sure, but not 100% functional
  • --- Ok quality? more functional, even for cargo purposes *5 year bumper to bumper warranty
  • Cargo Pro Hybrid Aluminum Enclosed Trailer $5000---Are they as good as the TC-11
  • used steel full sized 2 place, like Continental Cargo.--but am I buying someone elses junk?
  • ---good value, but is the quality there ?
My budget was to stick around the $5000 ish mark, but my choices are slim.
I know I don't want anything over 20', just because of storage issues, so a 7' wide would be ok as long as it's not too long.

Will the dinky tires hold up?

I looked in the U.S. on KSL and craigslist, there are some ok deals there, but to drive to utah would be out of the question.
I know that Mirage has a bad rap, so I won't go there.

Tandem axle would be great, but not essential.
It would be nice to have brakes, as I do have a 1/2 ton A steel trailer is something I can live with, as long as it's not too heavy.

Does anyone know of another trailer to look at? I noticed there is a much better choice in Ontario, but to transport might be not worth it.

I appreciate all of your opinions, just remember I have a set price, so don't tell me to spend more and get a Featherlite.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been looking to.
I know you said under 5k but there is a Rance lighting all alum. 23' in nisku for 11k? nice looking trailer made by Forest River, all the reviews I've read are positive.
Looks like this one with out the graphic.

Attachments

• 7x23_Rance_Light_4d5befcd73ffa.jpg
    7x23_Rance_Light_4d5befcd73ffa.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 536

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't want this thread to turn into an $11,000 sled trailer thread.

Thanks.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found a used cargo mate last year. It seems fine for what I do.

f7sp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on kijiji i saw a drift 2 place for 6 grand. never heard of them but the trailer doesn't look too bad. its in cochrane at gatorback trailer sales.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am unsure about the twin ramp doors in the front. I guess you can just keep one shut and put a heater or cabinet there.
The older drifts had barn doors and a pull out ramp in the back, looks like they improved on it!
Thanks for the tip!
on kijiji i saw a drift 2 place for 6 grand. never heard of them but the trailer doesn't look too bad. its in cochrane at gatorback trailer sales.

Kiwionsnow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
004%20(5)[1].jpg 002%20(2)%20(1)[1].jpg 001%20(2)%20(1)[2].jpg

I found this used 2008 Haulmark for $6000. it is a 7x 16 incluing the v. 2 Sleds, I have added the a cabinet, and now heater, TV, Stereo, Helmet rack, and various other stuff. It has been fun plaing around with it. I likley have about 6600-6700 into it now but very happy with an enclosed. I put bikes in it in the summer and sleds in the winter. 8 ft gives a little more room but I have no regrets about this 7 wide. 7 wide is very nice to tow, No Mirror extentions required and such. 1/2 ton friendly typ trailer. I looked for several months and almost went with a new Legend trailer when this poped up for sale.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a sweet trailer. I don't need a ramp door, since my sleds have reverse. Good find!

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth Mark, check out in the states. My brother picked up our 21ft all aluminum enclosed for $7600 new. Similar trailer here was $10k+

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rance is a nice trailer and like others said check out the states. We got ours new in the states, shes about a 23' so i know thats bigger than what you wanted so more $ but if u find rance there great quality. theres 2 in the family.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is "not 100% functional" about the TC-11? Love mine. Had it 4 yrs or so now....went out a bunch of weekends every winter and just about every weekend in the summer with two quads. It is TRULY 1/2 ton towable (I have a 1/2 ton). Lots of guys have "1/2 ton towable" 21 and 23' trailers, but I'm here to tell ya, it would be a hand full in the ice in the mountains. The TC-11 is only 900 lbs empty....so spring and fall you get up the switchbacks to unload the sleds, you just unhook and handbomb it to turn around...works great.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Dave,

I like the features of a full sized trailer. Just to carry tools, to wrench on the sleds, a heater can be put in there. Bright lights etc.. To hang your gear, use it as a camper in the summer, and for work. I can haul equipment/material/ladders/etc.. My group has primarily sled decks, so the early/late trips we can use their big trucks.

Don't get me wrong, the convenience of a TC-11 is great, but it is very limited to sled/atv hauling.

Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta stick to something under 20'. My driveway isn't that long.
I found one in Calgary, but it's a little short,
10' square with 5'v-nose 8.5' wide.I guess if you loaded from the front it would be ok... Suggestions?

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with you about the dinky tires. I don't want anything that has anything smaller than 14" rubber on it. Half the time the trailer is probably tobogganing on it's belly with 14's, I can't imagine trying to keep wiring on something that is as low as those trailers with 10" rubber on em.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
our 23' rance we tow with a caddillac escalade ext sometimes and with the auto air levelling system and awd it tows like a dream. added a brake controller of course but it hauls nearly as smooth and economical as my duramax does (dam better get it programmed soon!).

Umm 15' total you could load either direction, might be to heavy on the back if u load front to back, make the trailer sway. my 19' steel trailer started doin some serious swerving at 120 loaded that way. It'll be hard/tight to fit 3 mtn sleds in that. i had 17' inside (12'square 5'vee) and with one sled up into the nose, back the other 2 in facing out the rear, she was a super tight squeeze. would do 3-163's but ya, Tight!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, I never thought about the weight in the back. Guess there is still lots of room to load the sleds forward, Cabinets in the nose would probably have to be off the ground. I am not too concearned about a third sled, If we go with more than 2, we'll just take a truck with a deck.

our 23' rance we tow with a caddillac escalade ext sometimes and with the auto air levelling system and awd it tows like a dream. added a brake controller of course but it hauls nearly as smooth and economical as my duramax does (dam better get it programmed soon!).

Umm 15' total you could load either direction, might be to heavy on the back if u load front to back, make the trailer sway. my 19' steel trailer started doin some serious swerving at 120 loaded that way. It'll be hard/tight to fit 3 mtn sleds in that. i had 17' inside (12'square 5'vee) and with one sled up into the nose, back the other 2 in facing out the rear, she was a super tight squeeze. would do 3-163's but ya, Tight!

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what ever you do get a tandem axle .... nothing worse then blowing a tire or bearings on a single axle trailer at least with the tandem you can limp it to wherever you need to go

Top Bottom