Vernon man sues over 2010 avalanche

dmax

Reaction score
REVELSTOKE – A man who suffered serious injuries in last year’s Big Iron Shootout near Revelstoke is suing two snowmobile organizations, the events alleged organizer and the high-marking snowmobilers that triggered the avalanche.

Joey Armand Mazzei of Vernon is suing alleged organizer “Ozone” Dave Clark, the Snowmobile Revelstoke Society (SRS), Revelstoke Snowmobile Club (RSC), the estate of Shay Snortland and two John Does as the defendants.

The statement of claim, filed in Victoria March 23, says that David Clark, SRS and RSC were negligent in organizing an event that “they know, or ought to have known that the Plaintiff and others would be put at risk or put to a reasonably foreseeable harm.”

It also says they did not provide any warning regarding conditions at Boulder Mountain and to the risk to the plaintiff’s health and safety.

Shay Snortland and the two John Doe’s are listed as the high-marking snowmobilers that triggered the avalanche.

The massive snow slide on March 13, 2010, resulted in the death of Snortland and his friend Kurtis Reynolds and resulted in dozens of injuries.

The claim states that as a result of the avalanche, Mazzei incurred “pain, suffering and loss of amenities of life,” and loss of income – both past, present and future.

According to the claim, he suffered injuries to his ribs, pelvis, back and lungs and suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder.

He is suing to reclaim costs relating to his treatment and rehabilitation, lost wages, domestic and/or nursing services needed and other damages. There is no dollar figure attached to the claim.

Mazzei spent several weeks in Kelowna General Hospital on life support as a result of injuries sustained in the avalanche. His injuries included failing kidneys, a bleeding stomach, shattered ribs and broken shoulder blades.

SRS and RSC have repeatedly denied any connection to the Big Iron Shootout. None of the defendants returned calls for comment.

Mazzei’s lawyer, Donald McKay of the firm Macisaac and Company, would not comment on the case, saying he would let the suit play out in court.

Nothing in the claim has been proven in court. The defendants have 20 days as of the date of filing to make a response.

dmax

Reaction score
Found this in my local paper today.... Sure helps out the sport we love

capt. crunch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What did Joey think he was going for a nice safe walk in the park?
Man up, get your head out of your azz and take some responsibility for your own actions.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found this in my local paper today.... Sure helps out the sport we love

last time i checked, each and every person is responsible for themselves when going in the back country or anywheres public for that matter. its not like it was private land. He had the choice to be there. anyone who travels into the mountains should be responsible for checking weather, avalanche risk, and should be educated in the field. Dont get me wrong, i dont condone anyone getting injured anytime, but we all take the risk everytime we go and play.

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He should have known better than to sit at the bottom. I hope tese people sue him in the End. What a disgrace and waste of skin. I cant beleive he is sueing the Estate of Shay.:mad:

hypnotoad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pretty sad to try and sue a family that has already lost so much. he and his family had better never ride in the mountains ever again after trying to pull this chit. everyone that goes out there knows the risks (even if you are not up on the current avy conditions, you still know it's possible)

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow what a joke...Shaking my head! If he was out there at the time then he should have known the risks, and if he's a sledder then he should already know that the sport is under attack!.....Finally if he was a real man he would accept the out come of the risks involved in enjoying the back country!...what a worm!

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What an azzhole putting blame on others:realmad:. He made the decision on his own to be there in the run off path, no one told him to park there, OH! maybe his son told him to park there, maybe he should sue his son instead of innocent people enjoying a nice day ride with friends. The avalanche was an act of nature as no one was found to have set it off.

Top Bottom