utv tires?

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering everyones thoughts on what kind of tires to run on side by sides. i have a 07 650 prowler with a clutch kit, jet kit, snorkel kit and full roll cage. been running 27''itp xtr's at 7 psi but was thinking of trying something diffrent. tax return is burning a hole in my pocket..lol.. i dont do to much extreme mud ridding. ride everything in the west country. been thinking of gbc grim reapers. might go down to 26 to give it a little bottom end back. anyone tried these or anything else other than the itp xtr's would be great to get your thoughts. thanks

racerfromhell

Reaction score
I run the Maxxis bighorn's on my RZR and love them. 1st flat just the other day only because there was a downed tree with a very sharp branch hideing under the snow. (and thats after 2700 km's). I ride in everything from grass, plowed fields, mud, sand, dirt trails, snow, gravel and clay. They are a really good "all around" tire. I have 26x12x12 rear and 26x9x12 front. If you do mostly mud then it's not the best tire for sure but in my riding areas, I get everything.

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was thinking of those too. but looks like they only run a 6 ply tire by the looks of things. thanks

jigger

Reaction score
I run the XTR also but I've been looking at the Pitbull growler tire.

Here's a little vid from the company. The Rzr has a couple of mods.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuHdPb8BDBk[/media]

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the XTR also but I've been looking at the Pitbull growler tire.

Here's a little vid from the company. The Rzr has a couple of mods.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuHdPb8BDBk[/media]

I have a set of 27.5 Growlers on order, expecting them next week, very curious how they work out. I have ran swamp lites on my Can Am the past 3 years, time to try something new.

tomanytoysnotnuftime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have run 28" zillas, 26" Interco Reptile's (swamp lite radials) and 26" bajacross's on my teryx. I will be purchasing some 26.5 x 11 x 14 Pitbull Rockers this spring. They are as aggressive as the growlers but a different block pattern making them a little less mud oriented but a more all around tire.

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old man runs the swamp lites on his 1000 prowler and did it ever loose performance once he put them on. his is bone stock and i could not belive what it was like to go from the stock rubber to the mud tires. all i can say is wow what a diffrence in lose of power! my brother runs the swamp lites to but is now running 28" swamp witches on his ranger xp 800. hard to say whats better of the two on his. he put a clutch kit in his and really gets around. weather its the tires or just the loose nut behind the wheel its a toss up.

I think the biggest thing i am up in the air about is to decide to either run something in a 27'' or a 26''. a little bigger tire on the 27''s vs the 26" but with a 26" you gain back a little tourqe like running stock tires but with a hjgher ply rateing and a more mud tire over the stock. i never even drove my sxs with stock tires. bought it got the tires put on and took the stock ones with me home. the itp xtr tires were the only ones avalible at the time i bought my sxs. so now im thinking to go back to a 26" tire to put up with the extra weight of roll cage, roof, seats, kids, bbq, etc,etc. might put a little zing back into the big cat!

will see what all you say about you tires and thoughts over the next week or two. thanks

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with the mudbugs I run on my Rhino. They ride well on anything other than very hardpacked surfaces and don't let me down in the ugly stuff.

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone run the same size front tires as the rear? either with the stock rims and aftermarket tires. Or aftermarket rims with the same front size as the rear. My brother is running the same size rear tires as the fronts on his 800 ranger. But has only ran the set up this winter. any thoughts? thanks

jigger

Reaction score
Anyone run the same size front tires as the rear? either with the stock rims and aftermarket tires. Or aftermarket rims with the same front size as the rear. My brother is running the same size rear tires as the fronts on his 800 ranger. But has only ran the set up this winter. any thoughts? thanks

My buddy runs same size tires on his Rhino. Gives it more of a footprint for the muskeg mud areas. It makes it a little tougher steering at slow speeds but it's not that noticeable. On the rhino if you run the same size aftermarket rims offset and same size tires I believe you will be 1 inch wider on the front. Heading out to the garage to do some preseason maintenance on the Rhino.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have run 28" zillas, 26" Interco Reptile's (swamp lite radials) and 26" bajacross's on my teryx. I will be purchasing some 26.5 x 11 x 14 Pitbull Rockers this spring. They are as aggressive as the growlers but a different block pattern making them a little less mud oriented but a more all around tire.

The 27.5 Pitbulls came in, I took a look at them and sent them back. The rubber compound is scary, I could take all the lugs and easily manipulate them with my left hand, almost like jelly. To much money to be the 1st to try and find out they cant take the abuse.

I picked up a set of 28" Zilla's instead.

Relic

Reaction score
High where did you get pitbulls from have had mine on order for 3 weeks and said it will be few more weeks.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

tomanytoysnotnuftime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am running ITP T-7 Beadlocks with various different tires, but all the same size. I like it like that. I have 5 tires and rims all the same so my spare will fit any corner of the machine and have not experienced any problems with steering of handling, except with the 28" zillas, they were not very confidence inspiring at 120 kph, but i think it is cause they are not radials and the weight of my machine is most of the problem.

The 27.5 Pitbulls came in, I took a look at them and sent them back. The rubber compound is scary, I could take all the lugs and easily manipulate them with my left hand, almost like jelly. To much money to be the 1st to try and find out they cant take the abuse.

I picked up a set of 28" Zilla's instead.

I think you just made a mistake with that. I had zillas on my teryx and did not like them that much. The pitbulls are getting great reviews from anyone using them. I have seen alot of guys on the teryx forums that are running Rockers/Growlers and everyone is very happy with performance and reliablity. Just my opinion, but I have been wanting these tires for over a year now. What size did you order, I ordered 5 27.5x11x14's growlers yesterday from a local shop, but I know National's price is way better than what I was quoted.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am running ITP T-7 Beadlocks with various different tires, but all the same size. I like it like that. I have 5 tires and rims all the same so my spare will fit any corner of the machine and have not experienced any problems with steering of handling, except with the 28" zillas, they were not very confidence inspiring at 120 kph, but i think it is cause they are not radials and the weight of my machine is most of the problem.

I think you just made a mistake with that. I had zillas on my teryx and did not like them that much. The pitbulls are getting great reviews from anyone using them. I have seen alot of guys on the teryx forums that are running Rockers/Growlers and everyone is very happy with performance and reliablity. Just my opinion, but I have been wanting these tires for over a year now. What size did you order, I ordered 5 27.5x11x14's growlers yesterday from a local shop, but I know National's price is way better than what I was quoted.

I ordered 2-27.5-11-12 and 2-27.5-9-12. I think they may be a good tire, but the set I looked at really didn't impress me. I have a background in the tire industry going back 25 years, more training and certificates than I care to remember, I did all the commercial warranty inspections for Goodyear in the province of BC for a few years in the late 1990's. The compounding of the Pit Bulls simply scared me for what I use an ATV tire for.

I ride with a few guys who have Zilla's and they have performed well, so I took the safe route.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just installed Bighorn 2 on the wifes rzr.
Will see how they work.
Larger than stock as well

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
National 4WD, Canada's Only Coast to Coast Source for 4X4, Jeep, Light Truck and SUV Accessories, Shipping Across Canada, USA and other global destinations.

quickest place I could find, prices ok compared to what I quoted locally. Have a good look at them before you buy, I gotta tell you it scared the heck out of me when I saw how soft the rubber was.
The growlers are a lot tougher...The rockers are designed for just that rocks...they grip awesome in mojab on the hot rocks.Not much use for them out here.

Top Bottom