thoughts on a trail tire for muddy trails,

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what tire has been giving the best results for an all round trail tire.

leaning towards the muddy side of trail riding,

have run
stock dunlop tires, ok sort of, stay outta da mud though
mudlights, 26 inch ok, not great probably due to size.
xtr's in 27 inch was happy with results, smooth tire, good in rocks n muddy trails.

zillas in 28 inch, happy, ride good on trail, good in muddy conditions, not great on rocks seem to slide a bit
zillas in 30 inch, again happy with ride on the trail, good in mud, no real riding in rocks , although being a taller tire did seem to roll over somewhat,

any real life experience with tires the same size, duh any larger tire will generally be better, as will a pure mud tire.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch you can try....27" Black Mambas, 29" Swamplites, 28" Zillas, 30" Zillas, 26" Bighorns, 26" stockers off my 900.....all have rims with Polaris bolt pattern.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch you can try....27" Black Mambas, 29" Swamplites, 28" Zillas, 30" Zillas, 26" Bighorns, 26" stockers off my 900.....all have rims with Polaris bolt pattern.

so what is your opinion on the tires? you generally ride the same type of trails. sort of.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did not like bighorn 2 in mud. Just plugged up..

Prefer zilla tires.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally like my bighorns, but would like to try bighorn 2.0's

yes they are a good tire, arff had a set i think. went through a lot, were 30's though. i did notice they didn't clean out in the mud that well, seemed to be geared towards the gravel/rocky side of trails, where the zillas are more towards a mud trail.

have also observed theswamplites, they seem to be a good trail tire, both mud n rocky. the tread pattern would give grip on side hills and over the rocks. seem to be not bad in the mud

brother inlaw has mudbugs on a king quad, seem to go everywhere i go with the zilla tires.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found mud bugs slid sideways a lot

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, found that somewhat with the zilla and the xtr tires. guess that is why they are geared more for a muddy trail. interested in the itp mega or monster meham tires.

probably just stick to the zilla tires.

Last edited:

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran the outlaw radials 28's all last year on the 900 and they performed well on all conditions, rode smooth, and seem to take the beating these heavier machines put on the tires.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you should go to grubby s and do a little demo ridin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you should go to grubby s and do a little demo ridin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

The only tires he has different are the mombas in the same size. 27's. I'm thinking they are too much for ol. Chicken me. But may give em a try this summer. If he still has them

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only tires he has different are the mombas in the same size. 27's. I'm thinking they are too much for ol. Chicken me. But may give em a try this summer. If he still has them

Don't be a puss Larry. The Bighorns are a great trail tire...durable in the rocks and shale, not real mind blowing in the heavy mud, as they plug up and have to be spinning hard to clean out. The Swamplites are descent...probably one of the better for your application. Zillas are still my favorite all around tire, but they are a little soft for the weight of a big sxs. They also have a bit of shake, and they wear fast on the hardpack. The Mambas are plain nasty...heavy, and a very aggressive tread. They totally suck on the ice. I found the ride to be very similar to the Zillas. I have Rhino axles on the RZR, plus I've managed to learn a little self control on the throttle, so I'm not too worried about breaking sh!t, but I also don't do a lot of mud riding anymore. If I did, I'd keep the Mambas on. I have 5 of them mounted on ITP rims...all are 27"x10"x12". I'd let the whole works go for $1000.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't be a puss Larry. The Bighorns are a great trail tire...durable in the rocks and shale, not real mind blowing in the heavy mud, as they plug up and have to be spinning hard to clean out. The Swamplites are descent...probably one of the better for your application. Zillas are still my favorite all around tire, but they are a little soft for the weight of a big sxs. They also have a bit of shake, and they wear fast on the hardpack. The Mambas are plain nasty...heavy, and a very aggressive tread. They totally suck on the ice. I found the ride to be very similar to the Zillas. I have Rhino axles on the RZR, plus I've managed to learn a little self control on the throttle, so I'm not too worried about breaking sh!t, but I also don't do a lot of mud riding anymore. If I did, I'd keep the Mambas on. I have 5 of them mounted on ITP rims...all are 27"x10"x12". I'd let the whole works go for $1000.

Yes mombas are a mud tire, probably heavy, and break axles easzy peazy. I would also assume way more traction in mud. Not really what i'm looking for though. So far zillas have been good. I'm going to run them this summer, compare em against the xtr's. , i have 2 sets of rims, also a set of 30 zillas . Need a lift n forward a arms to run them on the ranger.
Had em on the mudpro was very impressed with tires. But that somebeotch tried to kill me

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A tire that is becoming more popular is the Terminator. I put 28x10x14 on the RZR and they seem to do well in the snow. Time will tell how well they do in the mud and on trails. They are aggresive enough that I will also have to have throttle control or buy shares in Rhino for axles. Does anyone have any trail time with these tires?
tires.JPG

Hope it is ok to mention that I have 2 of these for sale in the classifieds.

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ya Larry. Don't be a puss.

I run zilla tires on the 900 rzr. They are working good.

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Larry:

I think Neville had some Monster Mayhems on his Ranger, they were real good for deep snow, but I think he was going to sell em, was i bit of a rough ride i think.

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here ya go Larry.

ITP Tire & Wheel Company today announced the launch of the all-new Mammoth Mayhem mud tire.
The latest addition to the ITP Mayhem line of mud tires, the 32-inch Mammoth Mayhem sports an extra-deep, two-inch lug for maximum thrust through the deepest muck and mud. The mammoth-sized claws are designed to propel ATVs and side-by-sides continuously forward, while channeling the mud out of the tire tread.
6375_205.jpg
New 32-inch ITP Mayhem mud tirePhoto: Courtesy of ITPThe extra-deep lugs do not affect ride comfort or handling, according to Rhett Turpin, ITP Powersports Director of Sales & Marketing. "We know mud boggers sometimes have to ride miles on a hard-packed trail to get to their favorite mud hole," Turpin said. "Like all the tires in our Mayhem line, the Mammoth's carcass construction and directional tread pattern deliver a remarkably smooth ride on the trail for a tire in this category."
The Mammoth is also considerably lighter than most big mud tires on the market today. "It's all about maintaining horsepower," Turpin said. "A lighter tire uses less horsepower so you can transfer more engine power to your forward motion."
6377_208.jpg
Initial size offering for ATVs and SxSs: 32x10-14.Photo: Courtesy of ITP

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The monsters ride like and old steel wheel Massey tractor.....
I will swap them out for one of....
30 zillas
30 outlaw radials
29.5 terminators
All ride better than these lumpy bastages....

Top Bottom