Unbelievable .....?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Driving oil prices as high as possible doesn’t prove renewables are cost effective, it just makes things unaffordable for people. If you need to artificially increase the cost of established technology to justify and force the use of your overpriced and ineffective product, it just demonstrates that the new technology isn’t viable. The financial disaster that the green energy industry is the world over demonstrates that it benefits nobody but the owners of the heavily subsidized systems.
You obviously don’t have a problem with being forced to comply with accepting something that isn’t financially viable, and you don't mind paying for it. Other people do, and lots of people plain and simple can’t afford to pay higher costs for fuel and electricity to force acceptance of technology that isnt financially viable.

Like I already said I don't necessarily agree with all these policies, just stating what the future holds, so you don't need to keep assuming what I do or don't have a problem with.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Demand goes down and so do prices, basic economic theory.

Go ahead and try, you could if you really wanted to, I promise you won't make/save any money doing such a thing.

Fossil fuels are being phased out like it or not, energy prices are going to increase, financially incentivizing those that can reduce their consumption or produce their own energy. The concensus is that carbon emissions need to be reduced and eventually stopped due to its effect on global warming and is the driver of this train of thought. The next mission is to drive oil prices as high as possible to prove that renewables can be cost effective, and it will succeed and will further increase EV adoption.

I'm not saying I agree with all these policies, but for me my time is better spent adapting to these changes instead of whining and b!tching about them.
Driving oil prices as high as possible doesn’t prove renewables are cost effective, it just makes things unaffordable for people. If you need to artificially increase the cost of established technology to justify and force the use of your overpriced and ineffective product, it just demonstrates that the new technology isn’t viable. The financial disaster that the green energy industry is the world over demonstrates that it benefits nobody but the owners of the heavily subsidized systems.
You obviously don’t have a problem with being forced to comply with accepting something that isn’t financially viable, and you don't mind paying for it. Other people do, and lots of people plain and simple can’t afford to pay higher costs for fuel and electricity to force acceptance of technology that isnt financially viable.
Certainly no expert on any of this but i doubt the logic involved in purposely increasing the cost of existing energy sources before any real viable alternatives are available , or even close . Seems sort of abusive and idealistic , and benefits so few while disadvantaging so many . Imagine if the similar amount of money spent on electric vehicles would have been invested in reducing emissions and causing fossil fuel use to be less impactful on the planet (if it is) .

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Certainly no expert on any of this but i doubt the logic involved in purposely increasing the cost of existing energy sources before any real viable alternatives are available , or even close . Seems sort of abusive and idealistic , and benefits so few while disadvantaging so many . Imagine if the similar amount of money spent on electric vehicles would have been invested in reducing emissions and causing fossil fuel use to be less impactful on the planet (if it is) .

That is the entire premise behind the carbon tax, make the energy source so expensive it forces reduced consumption and the transition to alternatives. Remember that will reach $170/tonne by 2030, or the equivalent of 40 cents per liter. Thats also why there are big tax breaks for Canadians on their income tax, to help lower income families in the form of carbon tax rebates, some would also argue this is a form of wealth distribution masquerading as a environmental initiative.

Preemptive might be the word some use on this topic, forward thinking would be another others use. The next 10 years will be the fastest to date in the evolution of automotive technology, particularly in relation to EVs. I would be surprised if there isn't an EV on every dealers lot in 5 years, I would also expect most people to know someone who owns an EV within that same time period. I expect battery production to be the limiting factor in EV sales, and by the sounds of it most automakers are already investing in new battery manufacturing facilities.

Renewable energy and clean fossil fuel development follows the same route, Albertan oil companies are already exploring carbon capture and the development of the carbon trunk line. Solar and wind are being developed at increasing rates in the province fuelled by a free market system that favours the lowest cost producers. Grid scale battery storage has already been implemented on a small scale, with larger projects in the planning and construction phases.

Yes there are going to be winners and losers in this, the middle class that enjoys energy intensive recreation will suffer the most (essentially all the members of this forum). I'm not really sure how we fix this, other than to hope that new technology and new businesses come forward to develop low carbon energy sources for our toys.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gas could be 5$ a liter and im still riding.

Problem is "they" are trying to close all the areas, so wont matter how fuel efficient you are.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gas could be 5$ a liter and im still riding.

Problem is "they" are trying to close all the areas, so wont matter how fuel efficient you are.

Very true, get in there and rip on er, shouldn't be to tracked up once they are closed haha

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know i have covered this before, but morons don't seem to be able to absorb facts. I will post them one more time from a different perspective... from a guy who has learned it the hard way.

i would suggest you will attract more people with honey than you ever will with angry name calling!

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would encourage some of the EV haters to try actually driving an EV. Once covid restrictions are over I will let anyone on snowandmud test drive my model 3.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there is one that can perform equal to or better than my 1t diesel at hauling my toys around I might consider it. But till then I will continue burning dinosaurs.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not very many people need a 1 ton all the time
i've seen lots that doo. usually haulin heavy stuff all over the province! seen more empty prius at timmies and 7/11 that didn't need to be there or out driving around? who's to say who needs what?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Not very many people need a 1 ton all the time
So are you saying, "that when we don't need a 1 ton, we should have a 1/2 ton sitting waiting to be used or maybe even another smaller vehicle??
Like the posts above, I will decide what I drive and when I drive it.

Top Bottom